Author Topic: Suggestions needed  (Read 1606 times)

Offline hellion

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
  • HOT HOT HOT
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 23.0 Firefox 23.0
Suggestions needed
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:46:26 PM »
As I just posted in another topic, I am now babysitting a four year old quite frequently.  I am not really interested in cartoons or anime and if I have to sit through The Lion King one more time I think I'm going to hang myself.

I'd really appreciate suggestions of animated shows that meet the following conditions:
  • Appropriate for watching with a four year old little girl.  (No sex, violence, vulgarity, etc.  You know... very PG rated.)  Also, please don't bother suggesting things like Dora or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, etc. that are readily available on the Cartoon Network.  She's seen them all.
  • Stand alone shows without an underlying storyline... She loves silly cartoons like Tom and Jerry, but wouldn't remember an underlying storyline to associate to another episode of an ongoing series.
  • English or Dubbed rather than subbed because she loses interest quickly and I would personally prefer to just read a book than read a show on tv.
  • Duration around 1.5 hours or less.  Less is preferred due to the attention span of a child.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Offline Asian_InvAsian

• Slightly Buzzed
  • "Trying" is said with the intention to fail.
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 28.0.1500.95 Chrome 28.0.1500.95
Re: Suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:54:36 PM »
Any Ghibli movie (well, maybe except Grave of the Fireflies) and Pokemon are the only ones that comes to mind as being child-friendly.
A flower represents a man's life, hopes and dreams...they all wither away and die.

Offline Motoko-chan

• Linux Linux
  • Browser:
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »
There are a lot of kid-friendly anime, but not a lot dubbed in English. Basically, there isn't a huge market for such a thing.

As was mentioned above, practically anything by Studio Ghibli should be quite fine. They're practically the Disney of Japan. Interestingly, they also had a distribution deal thorugh Disney here in the US and so their films have very good English dubs.

I'll try to find some other dubbed titles that are kid-friendly and then update my post.
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline hellion

• HOT HOT HOT
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »
Thanks you two.

Could you perhaps give me a few titles you'd suggest rather than just name a studio?

Offline Motoko-chan

• Linux Linux
  • Browser:
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:48:41 PM »
Looking at my small disc collection:

From Ghibli:
  • Castle in the Sky
  • The Cat Returns (Show after Whisper of the Heart)
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Porco Rosso
  • The Secret World of Arriety (Might be listed as The Borrowers - Arriety for the UK version)
  • Whisper of the Heart

I haven't seen My Neighbors the Yamadas or Tales from Earthsea yet, so I can't comment on those.

There is also Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Spirited Away, but they have a bit more intense imagery that might frighten a child that young. Princess Mononoke is definitely out of the question right now.

With non-Ghibli, I've heard Sailor Moon is quite good and works well for young children, but I don't have direct experience with it.

I'll post more once I can go through my full collection of anime.
Motoko-chan

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:

Offline hellion

• HOT HOT HOT
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »
Thanks Motoko-chan.  No rush. 

She's only allowed a little television each week... usually only one show a day (whether a movie or episode of something) but only if she eats well (which is only about three or four days a week) ... otherwise she goes to bed after her bath.  Sometimes I break the rule and let her watch something before her mom gets home... but that doesn't happen too often.

I've seen a movie (Mini-series) called Legend of Earthsea, would the Tales be anything like that?

Oh, I suppose I should mention that she loved Dragons: Riders of Berk (The series based on the movie How to Train Your Dragon.)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:03:04 PM by hellion »

Offline Motoko-chan

• Linux Linux
  • Browser:
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 07:49:45 AM »
I've seen a movie (Mini-series) called Legend of Earthsea, would the Tales be anything like that?

They are both based on the same source material, so they are likely to be similar. Beyond that, I can't tell you as I haven't seen either.

Okay, updating this post with more suggestions. If she was older, I'd have a lot more options, but I'm trying to keep it good for such a young child.

Another Ghibli work: From Up on Poppy Hill - This one might be difficult to find dubbed as it's not out in the US yet.

For a bit of harmless fun, there's The Adventures of Mini-Goddess. It's a bit older, but was dubbed into English. It's a spin-off gag series based on another title. Talking rats and other cuteness is heavy in this title.

Some other possibilities that I'm not totally sure about follow. They are dubbed, but might contain slightly more mature themes that may not be appropriate. It's best to read the description before showing them:

Other options that I'm a bit less convinced are okay for kids include Summer Wars, which has awesome visuals but has some scary images and Cromartie High School which is a gag series with jokes that'll go way over the kid's head (Freddie Mercury, gorillas, and robots).

All the above have been licensed in the US and have dubbed versions.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:36:18 PM by Motoko-chan »
Motoko-chan

Personal Links:

Offline Asian_InvAsian

• Slightly Buzzed
  • "Trying" is said with the intention to fail.
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 28.0.1500.95 Chrome 28.0.1500.95
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 03:04:49 AM »
I've read the original novel A Wizard of Earthsea and was quite disappointed with the Ghibli adaptation (It was Hayao Miyazaki's son's first time at directing) and it didn't make much sense to me. So, yeah I wouldn't recommend that one. The mini-series is completely different from the novel as well...they've taken too many liberties with the script IMO.
A flower represents a man's life, hopes and dreams...they all wither away and die.

Offline hellion

• HOT HOT HOT
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 03:32:12 AM »
Ahh, thanks for the info on Earthsea.  I really enjoyed the mini-series a great deal, but it is still a little advanced for a 4 year old.

We started watching Kiki's Delivery Service today, but she got in trouble for not eating her dinner... so we'll have to watch the second half another time. 

I thought this one was kinda cute, but I felt a little lost about the clock tower.  At the start of the show, the guy in the tower was the first one she met in the city... then the next people she met were unsettled and became rude when she mentioned the tower.  Why?!?

Hmm... should I be starting a new topic when I mention something we've watched?

Offline Motoko-chan

• Unknown Unknown
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 29.0.1547.56 Chrome 29.0.1547.56
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 07:14:59 AM »
For discussing a specific title, yes, a new topic would be best.
Motoko-chan

Personal Links: