Author Topic: Favorite books/authors?  (Read 3924 times)

Offline hellion

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
  • HOT HOT HOT
Favorite books/authors?
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
I got the idea from my welcome topic

I enjoy reading a great deal.  I tend to stick to the Fantasy genre.  Favorite authors include (but are NOT limited to) Robert Jordan (RIP), David and Leigh Eddings, Steven Brust, Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, and Margaret Weis/Tracy Hickman.  I'm currently plowing my way through all of the Dragonlance novels (about 160 behind me already) and hope to move toward Forgotten Realms next.

What are your favorite books/authors?

Offline Asian_InvAsian

• Slightly Buzzed
  • "Trying" is said with the intention to fail.
Re: Favorite books/authors?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:25:19 PM »
A Wizard of Earthsea, the novel was superior to the Ghibli adaptation in every way (although it might have been a different story if Hayao Miyazaki had directed the film instead of his son).
A flower represents a man's life, hopes and dreams...they all wither away and die.

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
  • SAVE THE UNI--uuhh I mean-SAVE THE FORUM
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:50:32 PM »
The Percy Jackson-Series, and The Kane chronicles. I like how Rick Riodan putd the demigods in different perspective on whats going on. At first he was telling the story in only the eyes of Percy Jackson, but then he added the other characters point of view, later on in the series and with his Kane Chronicles.

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:21:40 PM »
I have so many different types of books that I read anymore it is difficult to pick something so narrow. Right now, I have over 80 books on my "to read" pile. I mix Stephen King with John Grisham and Robin Cook. Sometimes I'll even throw in Michael Crichton or Barbara Kingsolver too.  I've read sci-fi (Douglas Adams), Fantasy (Louise Cooper), Thriller (John Case). I know I have Phillip Pullman, Steig Larsson, and Richard Matheson to read.
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline hellion

• HOT HOT HOT
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:10:45 AM »
Motoko-chan, don't leave out the Terry Goodkind books I gave you.  If I remember right, I gave you the first five of the Sword of Truth series.

Those are still on your 'to read' list too.

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
  • SAVE THE UNI--uuhh I mean-SAVE THE FORUM
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:48:26 PM »
Motoko-chan, don't leave out the Terry Goodkind books I gave you.  If I remember right, I gave you the first five of the Sword of Truth series.

Those are still on your 'to read' list too.

"Sword of the truth", I think they made a show based on that called The Seeker. If I'm correct then thats a book I need to read, since the show was really good.

Offline hellion

• HOT HOT HOT
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 11:57:37 PM »
The TV show called The Seeker is very loosely based on the books.  The first season was similar to the first book, the second season similar to the second book and I'm sure that if they hadn't canceled the show, the next season would be similar to book 3. While it wasn't a 'bad' series to watch, it also wasn't very faithful to the books (which was kinda nice in a way).  I thoroughly enjoyed the first four books, but after that I thought the books became a bit preachy.  I suppose I'm a little prejudiced against TG too.  I realized that he's really an ass after attending a book signing and later having dinner with him ... and after reading the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (Anyone else who's read both will know what I mean about the similarities between the first four books of each series.)

Offline Miss All Sunday

• Clean
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Opera 11.50 Opera 11.50
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »
Sorry for the necro-posting.

My favorite authors are Mario Benedetti and Josť Emilio Pacheco, my favorite book has to be "La tregua", sorry, I don't know the English title.

Offline hellion

• HOT HOT HOT
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 6.0 Firefox 6.0
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 11:52:58 PM »
Don't apologize for necro-posting... if it weren't for necro-posting, there would be nearly no posting at all :D

Offline Asian_InvAsian

• Slightly Buzzed
  • "Trying" is said with the intention to fail.
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 6.0 Firefox 6.0
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 04:12:28 AM »
I'd have to add Arthur Conan Doyle to my list of favorite authors.
A flower represents a man's life, hopes and dreams...they all wither away and die.

anything