Author Topic: Your recommendations for noobs  (Read 8190 times)

Offline Kite

• Still a hopeless romantic
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Distancia Fantheem
    • Neko-Hana
Re: Your recommendations for noobs
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2010, 02:51:53 AM »
Or Even Laputa...the anime fad these days are all bout fanservicing and moe and some plot has been thrown, only a handful of anime keeps me interested these days.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 05:46:46 PM »
Or Even Laputa...the anime fad these days are all bout fanservicing and moe and some plot has been thrown, only a handful of anime keeps me interested these days.

Well, actually...I enjoy those moeblob shows.  K-ON!, Clannad, that kind of stuff.  As long as it's still some quality. 

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me
"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
Currently playing: Rewrite

Offline Kite

• Seriously Addicted
  • Distancia Fantheem
    • Neko-Hana
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 02:18:50 AM »
Clannad had a good story and a lot of impact cant say the same for K-On its weird how after i watch an episode of K-On i forgot what happened.

Offline Motoko-chan

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 08:36:04 AM »
Recommendations are kinda useless since people have different preferences. I do agree that for most, a movie would be a good introduction as it's short enough to not waste too much time and often has a better budget than many shows.

If the person is rather artistic, Paprika is a good start. It does have some parts that might be bordering on sexual, but it's treated very artistically. Likewise, some of the animation effects (curtain tear into reality, wobbly rooms, transformations, etc) will catch someone that likes art.

For more serious, many Ghibli films will work well. The English releases are mostly very good (Disney has the money to ensure that), so you might even convince someone who isn't into subtitles.

Interestingly, my first real introduction to anime was with Serial Experiments: Lain. Not the usual show to pull one in.

But, like said before, it really depends on the person.

Like Evangelion and Akira?  I can't believe there are people who haven't watched Akira.  Or even some fairly famous Ghibli films, such as Grave of the Fireflies.

I finally saw Akira about a year ago. It was on Encore (one of the premium cable channels, similar to HBO, but movies-only). I had been meaning to watch it, but never got around to it. I did see Evangelon however in crappy AVI-encoded VHS-vision (go go crappy encodes!).

Grave of the Fireflies is also on my to-watch list (I have it too), but I just need to find a big enough block of time.

Since I mostly can only fit in about 30 - 60 minutes right now, I tend to watch shows instead of movies. And yes, I did enjoy K-On!. I even thought Code Geass was fairly decent (both season one and R2/Season two - rumors are out that there will be a third season).
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline Yukio

• Addict
  • Do we dare fight against fate? Or do we live on?
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »
With all the posts about old anime why has one of the best ones not be mentioned...Lupin III is certainly a classic. ^_^

Offline Asian_InvAsian

• Slightly Buzzed
  • "Trying" is said with the intention to fail.
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 08:59:17 PM »

Yeah it's just as Kite said, i mean are they serious (_)? To think that all you need is ecchi and fanservice to make a popular series these days...

Although The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is one of the better anime movies i've watched in a long time.
A flower represents a man's life, hopes and dreams...they all wither away and die.

Offline Kite

• Seriously Addicted
  • Distancia Fantheem
    • Neko-Hana
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 05:18:41 AM »
"if it sells why not sell it?" thats what my Prof. in management used to say, Eroticism Sells thats why they use it and the fact that there are more Type B otakus now a days
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/01/16/the-two-types-of-anime-otaku/ im partly B myself but not by a whole bunch.

"Summer Wars" is a Good Movie i recommend watching it.

Serial Experiments: Lain seems interesting(wiki'd it) i'll look for it if i ever have the time, im a real sucker for Dark Psychological Sci-fi genres. 

adding this one too for extra options though i think everyone of you guys watched it already.
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/04/18/animages-32nd-anime-grand-prix/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:20:35 AM by Kite »

Offline Asian_InvAsian

• Slightly Buzzed
  • "Trying" is said with the intention to fail.
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 05:34:28 PM »
lol i never knew there were two kinds of otakus. I guess i'm a type A - give me an anime with a good plot and characters over random ecchi anyday.
A flower represents a man's life, hopes and dreams...they all wither away and die.

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 08:10:34 AM »
I'm a bit of both types. Higashi no Eden was really great and I loved the complexity. Likewise, I loved the art (character design by ABe) in Lain and Texhnolyze. I do, however, enjoy the light stuff too. I still watch K-On!! (and the earlier K-On!), WORKING!, and Love Hina.

I'm not sure where To Aru Kagaku no Railgun would fit in, I'm guessing in the middle (the plot was quite complex, but it had lots of "cute" moments). I liked that as well.

As for introductions, I'm still of the mind that it depends on the person who will be introduced.
Motoko-chan

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 11:24:17 PM »
Likewise, I loved the art (character design by ABe) in Lain and Texhnolyze.

Niea_7?  Haibane Renmei? 

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2010, 11:00:41 PM »
Likewise, I loved the art (character design by ABe) in Lain and Texhnolyze.

Niea_7?  Haibane Renmei?

HR was indeed awesome, although I wasn't impressed with Neia_7. I was specifically mentioning two of the darker series though, and HR isn't as dark.

Also, having started to watch RAINBOW, I think it would also make a good recommendation for those who like serious stuff.
Motoko-chan

Personal Links:

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
  • SAVE THE UNI--uuhh I mean-SAVE THE FORUM
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 07:00:47 PM »
Like Evangelion and Akira?  I can't believe there are people who haven't watched Akira.  Or even some fairly famous Ghibli films, such as Grave of the Fireflies.
ok I think I'll be the first to say.
Akira: Most boring anime I have ever watched.

There I said it. Sorr to disaapoint you, just couldn''t get into the story, made me fall asleep.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 09:02:20 PM »
I can understand people not liking it but I have never heard of anyone bored during it.  Grossed out, yes.  Disturbed, also possible.  But it's not a movie with a lot of "talking heads" moments.  Didn't think someone could find it boring.

Offline Kite

• Seriously Addicted
  • Distancia Fantheem
    • Neko-Hana
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2010, 02:10:12 AM »
Well i had a friend that walked out on me watching Akira when he found it too boring and complicated to watch :(

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
  • SAVE THE UNI--uuhh I mean-SAVE THE FORUM
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 05:36:55 PM »
I felt there was  no plot in it. just some kid running around destroying things cause he can