Author Topic: Your recommendations for noobs  (Read 8186 times)

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
Your recommendations for noobs
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:21:55 PM »
Here's another attempt at some discussion.  Let's say you have a friend who thinks anime is for kids/hentai/mindless entertainment/Naruto/etc.  If you wanted to prove them wrong, what would you show them?  Keep in mind that some awesome shows have horrible beginnings that mind turn someone away from it.

I would probably go with specific episodes of Mushishi.  Maybe Princess Mononoke as well.

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me
"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
Currently playing: Rewrite

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
Re: Your recommendations for noobs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 06:13:17 PM »
If anything it would be a anime film than a series. All TV series have major flaws, whether it comes at the beginning, middle or end. You don't want them wasting a couple weeks watching a show with a big flaw. Movies have a higher chance of having smaller flaws and not very noticeable. Never ran into a perfect movie but movies don't waste a couple weeks to watch.

The movie I would recommend is Cowboy Bebop film. If they enjoyed it it would open the door to watch the anime. From there you introduce said person to animes of nearly the same type. Keeps getting larger from there.

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 01:57:53 PM »
Ah, when I think of movies, I'd probably add Tokyo Godfathers too, then.

The main reason I'm asking this is because a guy in one of my classes wants some recommendations.  Unfortunately, he only watches Naruto and Bleach.  I recommended Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann but he looked the series up and was like, "It's only 27 episodes?  That's not enough for any character development!  That's too short!".  So I'm a bit frustrated.

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 02:40:58 PM »
If he's looking for long ass series then get him started with DBZ, Rurouni Kenshin, Ranma, and Urusei Yatsura. That sall I can really recommend for long series.

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 06:35:55 PM »
But I want to get him out of the train of thought that a show has to be as long as the Wall of China to have good character and plot development!  I mean, it's usually the exact opposite!

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 10:47:52 PM »
Well short of tying him to a chair and stapling his eyelids open, its going to be extremely hard to get him to sit down to watch a short series. Maybe you can convince with the argument that he already spends who knows how many weeks watching a lengthy series that watching a shorter series is no different?

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 01:06:23 AM »
You know, I think he's a hopeless cause.  Ah well, there's always more knowledgeable anime fans on the internet.  >_>  Not that there aren't a bunch of fans like him as well but at least they're outnumbered in most areas. 

*sighs*

Offline Kite

• Still a hopeless romantic
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Distancia Fantheem
    • Neko-Hana
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 08:04:35 AM »
"Eureka Seven" had a good character development, good plot and its not really that long or short, well it did drag a bit at the beginning but the story paced up at the middle.

as for Movies
"5cm per Second" might be a good it strikes a good deal of emotion when watching it and you can understand it all in just an hour like aoishi said so it might be a good starter, same goes for "Toki wo Kakeru shoujo" its just fun watching it.

prolly a good idea to keep him away from Naruto and Bleach anime, i suggest making him read the manga, the anime of those two are just plain poison to the mind, no offense to those who likes the anime.

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
  • SAVE THE UNI--uuhh I mean-SAVE THE FORUM
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 07:21:34 AM »
I believe u are all forgetting about the Gundam Series.

I would recommend Gundam Wing because of it's seriousness in each episode. Each of the episodes has a story to tell on it's own

Then probably Gundam SEED. I know nothing about it but hearing from Aoishi and a couople of friends. it's a really good series with messed up events.

Lastly my favorite is Gundam 00. Just because

Offline Kite

• Seriously Addicted
  • Distancia Fantheem
    • Neko-Hana
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
Well id particularly recommend following the proper timeline and watching the first Gundam series but for starters prolly 00(prolly its becoz the matters concerning the story is actually happening right now) would be the best, since Wing heavy on the Politics, Seeds Good but Destiny is a freaking mistake(--,) Mobile Fighter Gundam G is for those who wants some GAR moments in Gundam(correction its all about being GAR in G, i guess thats what G means)

Another good one would be Macross though old it still good i also suggest Macross Frontier its pretty good.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:00:50 PM by Kite »

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 07:21:25 PM »
see take it from someone who knows well like Kite. The Gundam series will put your friend on a straight path.
After that, give him a short series were it is possible to give the main character a background story. Like GetBackers, or SoulEater. not really recommending those, just suggesting how short the series is.

Offline Kite

• Seriously Addicted
  • Distancia Fantheem
    • Neko-Hana
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 03:08:46 AM »
well it still depends on the taste of the person really, if the person isnt really interested in mecha animes then hed drop the anime in a few ep, kinda like when i got bored watching Kanokon after just a 3 ep and Rosario+Vampire in just 5 ep too much ecchiness killed the anime for me, not enough story to keep me really interested, same goes for Green Green and other ones i forgot.

"it all depends on taste"

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 08:40:57 PM »
Oh man, 52 episode series are "short"?  Then what are my shows?  Super midget short?

Offline Kite

• Seriously Addicted
  • Distancia Fantheem
    • Neko-Hana
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 11:46:23 PM »
Oh man, 52 episode series are "short"?  Then what are my shows?  Super midget short?
lol hows that short? is he onto series thats round the 100's or something?

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 04:03:26 PM »
if thats the case, then naruto and bleach is perfect for him. That is if he wants crappy anime

anything