Author Topic: Darker Than Black II Discussion [SPOILERS]  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
Darker Than Black II Discussion [SPOILERS]
« on: November 16, 2009, 04:26:13 AM »
Darker Than Black 2 is one of my favorites for this season. Hei being a hobo is totally understandable. What I want them to explain is that if Contractors aren't suppose to really have feelings and they are the most rational thinkers, why do Suou and Hei have feelings of sorts? It was a question they didn't properly explain in the first series.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:31:10 AM by Aoshi101 »

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:43:51 AM »
Darker Than Black 2 is one of my favorites for this season. Hei being a hobo is totally understandable. What I want them to explain is that if Contractors aren't suppose to really have feelings and they are the most rational thinkers, why do Suou and Hei have feelings of sorts? It was a question they didn't properly explain in the first series.

They did explain that.  It's not that they have no emotions.  They're just...super logical.  If they're in danger because of a hostage, kill the hostage.  If you see something pretty, why take a picture of it?  It'd still be pretty even without the picture.  If you have to kill people to survive, then kill people.  That kind of thing.   They can still have emotions and do things they like.  November 11 was a pretty charismatic happy guy, for example.  Suou does show some of her rationality when she talked about seeing a whale in the third episode.  She's stuck with that pretty close.  She just still lashes out and stuff.  I dunno what her case is but she is a contractor, judging by her requirement for a renumeration.  As for Hei and his irrational decisions...that was answered in the last arc of the first season. 

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me
"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
Currently playing: Rewrite

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:15:52 PM »
Well then if they're super logical and rational, whats up with the tons of irrational behavior on Hei's and Suou's part. Even some of the other contractors that have been developed into reoccuring characters have been acting irregular or irrational.

Perfect example is Hei's drinking. Thats a completely irrational action and with their super logic, would prevent them from acting irrationally. Pretty much all that is flawed at this point. Look at other contractors for example. A good example is the blonde girl (I can't remember her name atm) at the beginning of season two who came out to be a contractor, she acted like a total drone, no such thoughts of irrational behavior, her super logic is working over time.

Taking a picture of a whale is actually an irrational action because it serves no purpose nor helps her in any current situation thus labeled as an irrational act. So far we're shown that Suou isn't a full contractor yet, so I can understand her, but none of the other "developed" characters who are contractors up to this point. The necklace of Suou's, in my opinion, has something to do with her initial awakening and I think thats what's making her be a contractor, but of course its not a flawless device.

Another question: why do some contractors show emotion and show some personality, while others are completely subdued and act like drones?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:21:43 PM by Aoshi101 »

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »
I've seen up to episode five now so I have no idea about what you said of her taking a picture of a whale.  I thought she gave up on photography after becoming a contractor.  That's odd if you say she does take pictures later on.  Anyway, she is a contractor but I think I understood Hei's explanation.  To be perfectly rational and logical, you have to know what is and isn't a logical decision first.  And she's only a middle schooler.  She hasn't developed enough to know that yet.  As Hei says, she's still just a kid. 

As for Hei, Bones did explain his personality.  Contractors in the first season were always confused about Hei and how he could make irrational decisions.  Hm, no spoiler tags, huh?  I guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way.

Spoilers on Darker than Black season 1 ending...........................................................Hei's technically not a contractor.............................................................Spoilers on Darker than Black season 1 ending

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 05:41:37 AM »
Ah crap I thought that took place in episode 5, my bad. Well she technically didn't take a picture but she thought it. Small little thing, my bad.

Anyhow my whole point is there are tons of contractors, like Hei, who have been acting irrationally which goes again their super logic. Does that mean some contractors evolved into a new version? Or does that mean there are contractors, like Hei, who have this strong feeling to keep ahold of their former self?

SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN"T SEE EPISODE TWO!!!! [READ DOWN]

Also as I mentioned in my previous post, I don't think Suou is a contractor. Back in episode two, I believe it was, when Suou first used her power, it was instigated by the necklace of hers. Prior to that it looked like the necklace sucked away Hei's power. So maybe its the necklace making Suou contractor-like, but she's not a true contractor like Hei or the others.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »
SPOILERS FOR END OF SEASON 1 AND FOR EPISODE 2 OF SECOND SEASON

It seemed to me that the machines the others set up removed his powers.  Their organization was pretty proud of that fact.  The odd reaction they saw on the computer might've been from whatever the machine was trying to affect Suou's necklace as well.  I think she had contractor potential before that even happened.  When she summoned her rifle for the first time and everyone was saying that "it has begun", it's like they were waiting for this to happen for a while now.  Eh, theories.

As for "contractors, like Hei, who have this strong feeling to keep ahold of their former self", he never lost his former self.  He's a normal human (who's good at fighting, I guess) who just has a contractor...stuck in him.  That's why he does random things sometimes and never paid for his abilities.  Because they weren't his in the first place. 

SPOILERS OVER

Well, that was fun.  Gotta go before I'm late to class.  Hmm, we need real spoiler tags.  This is a bit of a hassle.

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
Re: Darker Than Black II Discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 11:03:36 AM »
 Well what I went ahead and did was split the topic and moved our posts relating to Darker Than Black II and created a new topic for it, putting the Spoilers Label on the topic title. Stickied it as well so we can easily find this thread for the duration of the season until DtB is over.

It seemed to me that the machines the others set up removed his powers.  Their organization was pretty proud of that fact.  The odd reaction they saw on the computer might've been from whatever the machine was trying to affect Suou's necklace as well.  I think she had contractor potential before that even happened.  When she summoned her rifle for the first time and everyone was saying that "it has begun", it's like they were waiting for this to happen for a while now.  Eh, theories.

As for "contractors, like Hei, who have this strong feeling to keep ahold of their former self", he never lost his former self.  He's a normal human (who's good at fighting, I guess) who just has a contractor...stuck in him.  That's why he does random things sometimes and never paid for his abilities.  Because they weren't his in the first place.

It seems the machines they set up there were only meant to immobolize him, not strip him of his powers. In current episode, I think, when Hei ended up fighting the dude who transformed the truck into a machinical outfit (mecha at work), he spouted certain words that showed he didn't know that Hei lost his powers. It was an assumption.

I figured when everyone was saying "it has begun", I thought they were referin to Suou's twin brother and whatever her twin brother has in store. Her becoming a "fake" contractor could very well have been his plan all along.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 01:58:17 PM »
Eh, I still think they removed it themselves.  I mean, they sent a contractor who manipulates water against Hei.  That's just suicide.  Also, with them perfectly happy riding in a submarine with Hei in the water as well.  Glasses girl says "No need for concern.  There were no mistakes in our analysis of the data that we brought back from Russia.  BK-201 has lost his abilities as a contractor."  From the way she says it, it sounds like something she or her organization planned for. 

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 02:57:46 PM »
But that still doesn't explain the effects of the necklace and what that had to do with the electrical field. Not to mention the fact that Hei's power is electricity, one would assume he would've been able to counteract that field.

The necklace look to have absorb Hei's power in order to "awaken" Suou. I dunno however, speculation on my part. Thats where I assume thats why Hei lost his power. If they knew or speculated that Hei would've lost his power due to their device, why not use it again on Suou? Or on Suou's brother for that matter? Also they wouldn't have to confirm he lost his power if they tested it previously. I think the "lost power" was an unintentional, bonus on their part.

We'll see though, its only about 7 episodes in, will find out more information by episode 13. Also with the new revelation concerning a certain somebody from Hei's past, makes it more curious, interesting, and brings more questions.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 03:56:59 PM »
A certain somebody?  You mean..."Izanami"?  >_>  <_<

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 06:31:50 PM »
I dunno, do I?  :o Did you watch the most recent episode? I think you did, but I want to be sure before saying anything more.

EDIT

Some DtB news, guess they're releasing DtB: Side Stories' episodes with the Ryuusei no Gemini DVDs and BDs. These side stories are suppose to cover what happened to Hei during the 2 years between the first and second season of DtB.

News: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-11-14/darker-than-black-side-stories-promo-video-streamed

Promo: http://www.d-black.net/gallary/pv02.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:03:44 AM by Aoshi101 »

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 09:19:25 AM »
Yeah, saw that.  So...hinted HeixYin, huh?  It's so nice to see Hei shaven and normal-haired.  Especially compared to Hei in episode 7.  Weird disguise.

I'm happy July is starting to be more comfortable saying how he feels, even if it's just "ow".

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 12:30:20 AM »
I don't remember much of the ending of the first season, but didn't Yin disappear after saving Hei? If so where'd she come from in order to show up with Hei in the two years between season one and two, let alone her appearence in season two.

It was awesome to see July being developed as a character. His low amount of appearences in season one was disappointing. Unfortunately he's more silent then Yin was, but then again Yin was around Hei alot and considering the people July was with before, there wasn't much oppurtunity to get comfortable speaking with reason to. Guess its another way in saying that speaking is irrational unless if there's some important reason to.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 10:00:08 AM »
So...I have to say...that ending was odd.  Not too satisfying.

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 03:02:26 PM »
Agreed. The ending felt rushed to me. I thought this series was going to go for a full 26 but it didn't. The last 4 to 5 episodes of the series felt like they were rushing to meet a deadline which usually kills a good anime.