Author Topic: Novel H1N1  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
Novel H1N1
« on: November 05, 2009, 12:59:27 AM »
Here's a nice current events thread.  You guys worried about 2009 novel H1N1 aka swine flu?  Thinking about the vaccine?  Getting it already?  Think it's just a giant conspiracy?

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me
"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
Currently playing: Rewrite

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
  • SAVE THE UNI--uuhh I mean-SAVE THE FORUM
Re: Novel H1N1
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 06:48:26 PM »
Giant conspiracy.
It started in Mexico, and not to sound rude or cocky about it, America has a lot of good hospitals and equipment so we will have a solid vaccine quite soon.
So i'm not too worried about it, but all the same we still shouldn't take it too lightly.

Offline Motoko-chan

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:32:23 PM »
I personally feel everyone is panicking a bit much, probably because it's unusual. While I'm mildly concerned, I'm not going to worry over it the way some are doing.

I have some hand sanitizer on my desk, a canister of wipes behind my monitors (handy for cleaning off the desk anyway), and normally keep my hands washed.

There is a vaccine, but quantities are limited, so it's only being dispensed to the most vulnerable target groups right now.
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline Steven

• Resident Igo Enthusiast
  • Addict
  • What her outstretched hand embodies is...
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 11:35:15 PM »
it's just another flu strain, really.  Don't underestimate it but don't worry about it either.  ^^

The mortality rate is slightly higher than the avian flu from last season, which is worrisome in an evolutionary sense, but it's still so small that if you're a healthy young person your chances of winning the lottery are higher than of dying from swine flu.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 12:11:33 AM »
Giant conspiracy.
It started in Mexico, and not to sound rude or cocky about it, America has a lot of good hospitals and equipment so we will have a solid vaccine quite soon.
So i'm not too worried about it, but all the same we still shouldn't take it too lightly.

Well we have vaccines in production but we're still having a shortage.  After all, we found out about H1N1 a little late so they had to work pretty fast but there's still a limit on how fast they can go.  Vaccines take a good year to make.

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 07:26:36 PM »
meh, I still say we shouldn't worry, just take the usual precautions, wash hands, carry sanatizer, cover mouth when cough or sneeze. Repeat

Offline :Lost:

• Guardian Angel
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 09:24:32 AM »
I don't even take normal flu shots so I'm really trying to avoid having to take the H1N1 vaccine. Although a couple weeks ago I got really sick, started to develop a fever, and started to worry a bit. But, luckily, the fever went down that same day.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 10:12:45 AM »
It's not like it's killing no one, though.  Pregnant people have a 1/3 chance of dying if they get the strain.  People with asthma or other underlying conditions could get it bad as well.  And I know plenty of people with asthma.

I'm going to have to accompany my friend when she gets the shot...  Problem is that she hates needles.  I fear she's going to break some of my bones or something when I try to get her to stay still.

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 01:36:51 PM »
tell her to look away and picture a happy place.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 02:32:16 PM »
If only it was that easy.  If I start talking about needles to her and telling her to let her arm go limp as an example, she can't even do that...  And there's not a single needle around her. 

Sorry Kim, if you're reading this.  But you're such a baby.

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »
lol, then keep her distracted by talking to her the whole time.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 01:47:23 AM »
Oh man, you make it sound so easy.  It won't be.

Offline Steven

• Addict
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 07:48:44 AM »
*shudders*  I used to have the biggest phobia of needles.  I remember as a child four nurses needed to hold me still while I recieved a booster shot.

Vaccination is only necessary if you're especially prone to illness, thankfully.  Otherwise you're just giving yourself a shot and a mild cold for no reason.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 09:33:36 AM »
H1N1 is the number one strain of the flu going around right now.  And there are more visits to doctors and hospitals for flu-related reasons.  So she's certainly more likely to get sick this year than any other year, and by this specific strain as well.  And she does have asthma so...yeah.

I beat you, Steven!  I had eight people try to get me to do blood work as a kid!  I punched a nurse in the face by accident at the time.

Offline Steven

• Addict
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 12:13:37 PM »
Curses, I've been bested.  :(  Ah well.

Well, assess the risks and decide based on what's best for you, is the best advice.  ^^  Most people don't need to worry about H1N1, but if you have risk factors, it's best to be safe.