Author Topic: Hello again!  (Read 11558 times)

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
Re: Hello again!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 02:44:41 AM »
Yeah. How did Yanime first start getting their members here, before the scanslation group was made? I hope that Yanime didn't trust the influx of members soley on the mangas that Yanime translated? If so thats harsh, because as you can tell, thats partially why Yanime is dying. We've tried to come up with many ideas but we have yet to put anything into any actual production process.

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Steven

• Resident Igo Enthusiast
  • Addict
  • What her outstretched hand embodies is...
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »
I personally was around before the scanilation group formed, and I think most of the golden-age members were, as well, so it wasn't that.

I can't really describe what the appeal was, I guess.  It just managed to draw people with the perfect blend between spam community and anime discussions.

We could probably try to recreate it, but who knows what success there would be in it, after all, we've all drifted away from Yanime from time to time.

I'm all for trying, or just chilling with the members we still have.  ^^  Maybe we could set up an RP again?

Offline Steven

• Addict
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 12:55:32 PM »
OK!  I found my old account info!

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »
As far as I understand (I came in close to the beginning of the scanlation era), many of the old-timers either knew Cgoten personally, were friends of those that did, or knew one of those people over the Internet. So, mostly word-of-mouth membership gains.

Do remember that way back then, there weren't that many English anime/manga forums around. Also, most of the beginning members were young enough to have plenty of free time to spam posts.
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 12:56:54 PM »
OK!  I found my old account info!

Send me a PM with your two login names and which one you want to keep. I'll merge the posts.
Motoko-chan

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 04:07:36 PM »
I remember being only learning about anime/manga for six months and reading webcomics.  I joined a Megatokyo board back then, didn't find the community interesting and left.  Then I joined yanime and the rest is history.  I guess I'll agree with Steven in that it was just the atmosphere of the forums and how everyone talked to each other so conversationally.  It wasn't a strict "thread has topic and you talk only about that" but more casual and we talked about everything.   And then scanslation started and we saw an influx of members.  It was a milestone to hit 100 members at the beginning.  So yeah, dunno how yanime popped up as one of the first anime boards to join.  But I'm glad it was.

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me
"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
Currently playing: Rewrite

Offline Steven

• Addict
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 04:31:34 PM »
*nod nod*  yup!  I miss it terribly.  At its peak, Yanime was the #1 google search result if you typed in "anime message board"  now it's nowhere on the list.  :/

Meh, it can make a comeback, we just have to start topics again and hope for the best.  ^^

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 04:49:08 PM »
Patience is key. Trying to make topics that haven't been made before is tough.

My question is now: What about reorganization of the board? Maybe remove some of those manga translation sub-boards and put them in an archive some where for nostalgia and replace em with current discussions on the net of the more popular anime and/or manga? I mean we could keep Ichigo 100% because thats what Yanime is known for and I'm sure showing people would want to see something related to its old self, but we need something new for them to post about and if we're gonna get the anime side jumping, removal of some of the old stuff may be necessary.

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 08:24:48 PM »
Agreed. I don't mind a restructuring, but have just been holding still until there is some idea on what to do.
Motoko-chan

Personal Links:

Offline Steven

• Addict
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 03:40:00 AM »
Agreed. I don't mind a restructuring, but have just been holding still until there is some idea on what to do.

Hmm... restructuring may not be such a bad idea.  Perhaps, since scanalations are no more, we can do as Aoshi said and compile the specific-series sections into one single nostalgia area at the bottom of the screen (since most of the series aren't really big-name enough to support their own section.)

Creating a new header or default skin would be a good way of showing that we're trying to revamp and increase activity, though it's mostly just a skin-deep thing.

Having some sort of information to offer may also be of help in attracting new members.  I can help us be among the first to post new weekly spoilers for Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, since I used to help authenticate 2chan spoilers for bigger boards.  We'd have to credit it out, and we'd never be first, but at least we'd have it to offer.

Resurrecting the general chat and spam sections are important, as well, since that's where most of our posts will go.  Just streamlining the sections, or perhaps putting all older posts into the nostalgia section, and creating new threads with more recent dates, so that guests don't assume we've stopped years ago.  (even though we kind of did)

So yes, perhaps something like that.  Streamline the size of the forum until we have more members, with just a few sub-sections for more popular series, a few general discussion sections, a welcome section, and an update section.  After that we'd need a little advertisement, probably, which I can't really help with, but if it doesn't help us grow, at least it'll slow our death down a bit.

Anyways, just brainstorming off the top of my head.  Feel free to disagree.

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 11:20:28 PM »
Certainly worth some consideration.

I'll look into some revamp when I have time. It probably won't be before 2010, though. I'm involved in some big projects at work, and also working on getting SMF 2 out (and helping with some changes to the team itself) right now.
Motoko-chan

Personal Links:

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
  • SAVE THE UNI--uuhh I mean-SAVE THE FORUM
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 09:27:17 AM »
Man, u sure came up with a lot of ideas Steven. You sure you didn't miss Yanime when you were gone and just happen to think ofa bunch of things to do here?

Offline Steven

• Addict
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 09:29:50 AM »
well, naturally I always missed yanime!  :p  but in this case I just have way more experience with forums now than I did back in the day.  ^^

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
  • SAVE THE UNI--uuhh I mean-SAVE THE FORUM
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
meh I guess so. this is the only offical forum for me that I joined and stayed on for a long time

Offline Steven

• Addict
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 03:04:02 PM »
They were good times.  I'm glad this place hasn't died in my absence... even if it IS comatose.