Author Topic: Some live-action adaptation discussion...  (Read 5559 times)

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
Re: Some live-action adaptation discussion...
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 09:52:30 PM »
Which one are you guys looking forward to and hoping hollywood doesn't destroy?

I'm looking forward to the Cowboy Bebop one. Hopefully Keanu Reeves doesn't totally butcher Spike Spiegel.

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 10:02:59 AM »
I guess I'm hoping against hope for something good out of the Cowboy Bebop movie as well.  It does have a lot of the original staff...

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me
"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
Currently playing: Rewrite

Offline Yukio

• Addict
  • Do we dare fight against fate? Or do we live on?
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 11:49:47 AM »
The only problem I would have with the Cowboy Bebop movie is that it would be a rushed version of the series or something that changes the story quite a lot which is something you see a lot of when manga is turned into anime. Of course, when actually watching the anime after the movie I would most likely visualize the idiotic face of the actor over that of the original face. *shudders*

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 08:14:39 AM »
Er, superimposing the actor's face on the manga?  That would be a problem...  Well, you'd better read the manga over again and memorize their faces more then.  Or get someone to knock you unconscious and make you forget the movie.

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me

Offline Yukio

• Addict
  • Do we dare fight against fate? Or do we live on?
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 03:56:53 AM »
So, would anyone know the status of these live-action adaptations?

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 02:28:19 PM »
Haven't been checking recently.  I only get my anime news from ANN, MAL and from other forums.  So haven't heard anything yet.

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
  • SAVE THE UNI--uuhh I mean-SAVE THE FORUM
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 05:33:02 PM »
Well I know this topic is a bit old, but I believe it is time for some anime adaptation update.

As we all know DBZ sucked, street fighter was much worse, Astro boy looks pretty good. I might see that. Transformers 2 had 30 to many swears in it for children to watch and it was originally for kids. Avatar is getting his own live movie called The Last Airbender and personally I already don't like it. It should never be live action.

Any thoughts ppl?

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 10:08:39 PM »
Well, I'm not gonna comment on Avatar because I don't watch it and it really isn't anime.  I agree that Astro Boy looks pretty good. 

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
  • SAVE THE UNI--uuhh I mean-SAVE THE FORUM
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 10:20:02 AM »
Well Astro boy is out, I haven't waatched it yet. For those who have mind telling ur thoughts and opinions without spoiling it. And also if there any new movies coming out, please share what they are.

Offline Steven

• Resident Igo Enthusiast
  • Addict
  • What her outstretched hand embodies is...
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 01:34:33 PM »
Astro Boy was decent.  A little slow, and they kinda write off some of the important emotional elements (like Dr. Tenma's motivations) but it was an okay way to spend 2 hours.

Sadly, it was a box-office bomb... the third consecutive anime adaption to do so.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:01:32 PM by Steven »

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 04:33:50 PM »
I hear Astro Boy was a good run through. It's a "fun for the family" type film and definitely brings back some of the spark from the old Astro Boy.

Unforunately Hollywood things Anime Adaptations are gonna be great but really their not. Problem is alot of people either:

A) Don't care about anime-related films (i.e. Dragonball or Astroboy)

B) Heard from hardcore anime fans that it looks like crap (sort of speak, i.e. Dragonball)

These, I feel, are the major issues with the films right now. Its not that the films are necessarily bad, its just when you make a film based off of an anime, you're pretty much only going to get anime fans to see it. If it looks like crap to the general anime fan populace, then none one will see it. Its a hit or miss, these days more miss than hit.

I actually wanted to see Astro Boy as it looked alot better than any recent anime adaptation (however im holding my opinion on the Blood: The Last Vampire because I wanted to see that as well).

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Steven

• Addict
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 05:50:26 PM »
True, anime fans said it was going to be bad, but they said so before there was any evidence to support it.  ^^

Then again, anime fans like to pretend that the live action death note movies were somehow good, and from a filmmaking perspective they were utter crap, too.  To each their own.

I have to question what filmmakers think, sometimes.  What sane human being looked at the animated arcs of Dragon Ball Z and said "why, I believe these visuals can be realistically transferred to live action!"   Speed racer was a little similar in that regard, same with Cowboy Bebop.

The problem isn't so much that anime can't be made into good live action, it's that they choose the wrong ones to adapt.  Ki blasts, insane race tracks, and robot boys can't really be conveyed without cheesey special effects in a live action movie.

There are a few anime being converted right now that might actually make good movies.  Monster, Death Note, and even Akira could be done well, if handled carefully.

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 07:26:23 PM »
I never personally felt any of em were "crap", I was just making a point about social networking. Current studies prove that these days, social networking either makes a movie good or a movie bad. No one cares about critics anymore because every person can be their own critic. This relates to my point about the anime adaptations.

Even before Dragonball came out and there was movie poster concepts and other things being released prior to the film, people were already saying it was "crap". I know I didn't go see it because I heard it was crap and it looked unappealing to my eyes. Does that mean I will never see it? Not necessarily. I'll pick it up eventually but its the majority vote that runs social networking and which movies to see and what not to see. The Anime World is no exception, even when coming to Hollywood.

Dragon Ball Z and such can be made to look pretty good with our technology we now have, but Hollywood changes too much from what we're used to. When Dragon Ball movie came out a while ago, no one complained about the special effects. What the fan base's issue is with how they transferred the characters and story over. There was a big uproar about how Piccolo looked (pale white compared to the green we associate namekians to). The Cowboy Bebop live action or the Akira live action could look totally awesome, but if they change too much, the anime community won't like it.

However lately there's been some steps to correct this problem. I forget which newly made company it is, but there's a new company thats strictly working on Anime Live Action productions and to correctly transfer them into live action pictures versus the "below standard" makes we're getting so far. Also with some of the newer live actions set to release in a couple years, the writers/directors/producers are working closely with the original creators (good examples are Bebop and Akira).

P.S. I personally never seen Death Note and to be honest it has that same feel like Full Metal Alchemist. Totally overrated and unnecessary hype. Could be a good story but it doesn't seem like a "must see" series.

Offline Steven

• Addict
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 05:55:38 AM »

P.S. I personally never seen Death Note and to be honest it has that same feel like Full Metal Alchemist. Totally overrated and unnecessary hype. Could be a good story but it doesn't seem like a "must see" series.

It's definitely overhyped, I cannot deny.  It tends to fall into the Evangelion chorus, with its most devout fans shouting "Best anime evah! and so on."

It's a good show on its own merits.  I had my time of obsession with it, though that was back in 2006, during my first years in the navy.  ^^

FMA is better than Death Note, in my opinion, but both are certainly overhyped, as is anything that becomes popular.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 02:08:22 PM »
I actually wanted to see Astro Boy as it looked alot better than any recent anime adaptation (however im holding my opinion on the Blood: The Last Vampire because I wanted to see that as well).

Ah, Astro Boy.  I had to chance to see it for cheap in theaters during my break but I somehow was unable to.  Makes me sad. 

I forgot about the Blood movie.  I heard it wasn't too bad but I don't really know too much about how the movie was from others.  I'll have to find time to watch it sometime.  It's what, on dvd?  Theaters?  In between those?