Poll

How much would you pay for one (normal 25 minute) episode of a show you know you'll like on DVD?

$30.00 and up
0 (0%)
$20.00-$29.99
0 (0%)
$10.00-$19.99
3 (42.9%)
$1.00-$9.99
3 (42.9%)
Nothing, I'm happy downloading.
1 (14.3%)
Nothing; I don't watch anime.
0 (0%)
Nothing; there's no anime I like. (Then why are you watching them?!)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Worth of an episode  (Read 7281 times)

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
Worth of an episode
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:43:30 PM »
Er, sorry to those outside the US but I'm counting the poll in US dollars.  Try calculating it with some conversion sites.  I felt like posting this for a while but decided to now.  Bandai Visual licensed a show that I was watching and liked.  They then announced that they're pretty much selling it the same way as Japan, expensive and with few episodes.  I think it's crazy to demand $30 for one single episode and $40 for two.  At least it is in America.  So bwah.

Decided that we need a new thread here.  Polls are fun to answer.  This doesn't involve random worshipping of a show or character.  So yay for not-dumb stuff. 

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me
"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
Currently playing: Rewrite

Offline Kite

• Still a hopeless romantic
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Distancia Fantheem
    • Neko-Hana
Re: Worth of an episode
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:05:24 AM »
10-19 usd, its a reasonable price for watching a popular anime(i think)

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 03:51:19 PM »
I wouldn't go above 5 bucks. Think about it, each slim pack on average costs about 60 to 70 dollars. If you charge 5 bucks for a normal 26 episode slim pack series, thats about 130 dollars right there.

10 bucks for one episode? I think not, thats not reasonable at all. Espiecially considering any extras they do include are stupid creditless openings. Really now who needs that?

Now if they provide like behind the scenes look, with cast interviews from both japanese and english, amongst various other things (check out the FLCL Ultimate Box Set on amazon for an example), then I'm willing to pay a decent amount.

When the extras are crap, and the episode is only 25 mins long, its not worth collecting at all. I rather pay 60 dollars less on a slimpack that has all episodes of the series then even 5 dollars for an episode. Its more cost effective for a collector to not spend more then he has to on a collectible unless if under certain circumstances and the certain collectible item has rare in value.

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:52:24 PM »
10 bucks for one episode? I think not, thats not reasonable at all. Espiecially considering any extras they do include are stupid creditless openings. Really now who needs that?

And $30 is even less reasonable.  Poor Shigofumi...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:52:44 PM by Waffo »

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 10:05:37 PM »
Speaking of Shigofumi, I've been meaning to watch that.

Anyhow, its better to download fansubs until your favorite animes come out either on tv to watch and on slim packs. Slim packs are the most cost effective ways to get your anime. Now you should only spend more on either rare collectibles that are hard to find, or on your most favorite series.

(Though I saw the most complete Rurouni Kenshin set with all 95 episodes, OSTs, a poster, and many other things including a replica sword that would come with it charging at 700 dollars on an import site. I would get it but that 700 dollar price tag has me rechecking my wallet and realizing I don't have that kind of money  ::))

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 07:27:34 AM »
Yeah but if everyone waited a few years for the boxsets, the companies wouldn't have the funds to do it anymore.  Someone has to buy the individual dvds.

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 07:51:07 AM »
Ugh, that's such a bad idea... there's no way I'd pay more than $5 or so for a single episode. And waste of a DVD... now, if this episode was like an hour long, that's different, since it becomes a "special" of sorts. Even the 3 episodes per DVD for $30 that was the default a while back was rough... thankfully the prices have generally been dropping on almost everything in the last few years. And I may never buy individual DVDs ever again for any TV show... anime or not. I agree someone needs to, but I'm not such a big fan that I need to... EXCEPT for Initial D. But those are also $15 for 3 episodes. Sometimes $12 on sale... if they'd continue to release them. -_-

But the box sets are such a good deal, you don't have to go tracking down the seperate DVDs, and they come in a nice, neat package.

Also, I've NEVER seen a special feature on an anime DVD I really felt was worth anything. I guess some of the production notes, concept drawings, figurines, t-shirts, and that kind of thing are cool, but those are the items that come with the DVDs, not what comes on it.

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 05:02:57 PM »
As I said though, buying individual dvds for your most favorite series would be good but not for series that you like but not in your, lets say, top 5.

You realize you're spending easily a hundred dollars more, at least, then you would when it gets released in packs.

By the way, I've noticed they are starting to come out with packs quicker now. Probably because they are getting high sales in that area. Which is good to me because when I buy my anime in bulk I'd rather not be spending 3 times more than normal for em.

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 10:07:49 AM »
By the way, I've noticed they are starting to come out with packs quicker now. Probably because they are getting high sales in that area. Which is good to me because when I buy my anime in bulk I'd rather not be spending 3 times more than normal for em.

Yeah, I've noticed that many series skip the individual DVDs and go right to the box sets... unless the distribution company knows they'll sell a lot of the single DVDs, or they have a lot of extras to boost the single DVD prices up to the $40 area. And that's the way it should be... I contribute the amazing sales of TV series on DVD now to the anime business, as we've been willing to pay to own the series in good quality long before people caved in to buying live action, American TV series. And look how they sell... in seasons.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 10:08:11 AM by Judau »

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 04:42:43 PM »
Like Heroes! 

It's definitely impractical to buy long series by volume.  Yay for short series!

Offline Kazenoken

• a confessed killer
  • Seriously Addicted
  • currently known as the master of fa-... nvm
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 05:00:15 AM »
well if you convert it into our money mine is 10$ and thats expensive already well still i dont mind if i really like that anime then i'll buy it

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 07:45:16 AM »
still i dont mind if i really like that anime then i'll buy it

Regardless of the cost?  That's...crazy.  I'm all for supporting the industry but I wouldn't have money to eat if I bought everything I liked. 

Well, Bandai Visual is apparently delaying Shigofumi for some unknown reason.  Maybe they read about all the complaints of prices and are going to lower it to normal US anime prices.  I think the most expensive stuff I bought was the Suzumiya Haruhi boxsets and FLCL.  I know Bandai Entertainment was milking the cow for SHnY but they were thanking the people who watch fansubs and that made me pretty happy.  Happy enough to buy it, I guess.  As for FLCL, I hadn't seen it before but got it anyway so it was a shot in the dark.  Buying two episodes per disc was a little much but at least not Bandai Visual level.

Offline Kazenoken

• a confessed killer
  • Seriously Addicted
  • currently known as the master of fa-... nvm
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 08:06:21 AM »
oh sorry bout that cuz the max price for an anime series here is 3-4$ if converted and seldom shops sell original series and if they do have these series the price for it is 10-12$ if converted
also most cds that they sell are pirated ones cuz no one buys the original one.... almost
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:06:43 AM by Kazenoken »

Offline Kite

• Still a hopeless romantic
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Distancia Fantheem
    • Neko-Hana
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 06:51:11 PM »
i dont think anyone would buy the original since its usually pretty expensive and besides we still dont have any jobT___T damn i really want to buy a car

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 02:00:57 PM »
i dont think anyone would buy the original since its usually pretty expensive and besides we still dont have any job

But I do mean the original price.  I mean what's acceptable for a company to choose for the retail price of a dvd with one episode on it.

anything