Author Topic: ADV partners with Geneon  (Read 2324 times)

Offline ZeroRyoko1974

• Ryoko Groupie
  • Budding Addict
  • Meatball Sandwich Anybody?
ADV partners with Geneon
« on: August 31, 2007, 08:50:40 AM »
Looks like Geneon aka Pioneer USA is dead.   This is a very sad day for the american anime industry.  I would have thought that smaller companies like Anime Eigo or Media Blasters would fold before Geneon would throw in the towel
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2007-08-29/adv-and-geneon-announce-strategic-alliance

Hey Answerman, the information coming out about this Geneon and ADV thing seems vague to me like they're not giving us the real details. From what I understand, it's like a merger, where ADV and Geneon work together to release Geneon's products and ADV will only really handle the distribution side, and "sales" (whatever that is), and marketing. What does this mean for Geneon, will they still be in business as a major player in the anime industry in America? Is ADV just doing like what Funimation did for TOKYOPOP's anime titles and distributing existing stuff? I know what the press release said but I want to know what the real deal is and what it means for the fans.

This is a complicated question and I figured it would come up this week.

Now, according to the press releases and announcements you've seen, ADV is taking over Geneon's entire catalog; they've announced that they will be handling sales, distribution, and marketing for the company. That's a big deal. Basically, the only things Geneon appears to still be doing are licensing and some aspects of production, although I'm not sure how much production they'll be doing if they don't have their own marketing department. No real announcements have been made regarding exactly what aspects of production Geneon will still be handling. Given how much of the company was handed over to ADV in this deal, it's difficult to think that they'll be handling much of anything themselves. Why would Geneon still be making creative production decisions without the aid of a marketing team? It's more likely that ADV will be handling those things from here on out. It just makes more sense that way.

In my estimation, I don't think we'll be seeing Geneon booths at anime conventions any longer; that's all marketing, which is now being handled by ADV. I sincerely doubt ADV will be paying money to continue marketing the Geneon brand at that level of expense. Why would they do that? You'll likely start seeing ads for Geneon shows and Geneon DVDs being sold at ADV's booth, but Geneon's presence at anime conventions will very likely disappear. If for whatever reason Dentsu decides to spend money maintaining the Geneon brand in the US after basically handing the entire company over to ADV, you can color me shocked. Other than to spare a few points on their Japanese stock price, I can't think of a good financial reason to do that, and Dentsu has stated publically in the Japanese press releases that this move was made specifically because of the increasing difficulties in the R1 anime market. They can't turn a profit, so they're bailing.

What does all this mean for the fans? Well, your Geneon DVDs will likely now have ADV logos on them. I'd be shocked if ADV didn't raid the deep Geneon catalog for shows they can release onto the market in the form of cheap thinpaks. Will ADV continue using Geneon's usual roster of ADR production houses, like Bang Zoom or New Generation Pictures? We don't know yet, but ADV already owns their own in-house production studio. At a certain point, it makes less sense to farm out the work when you can just handle it in-house. I can't say for sure one way or the other - nobody can, since there hasn't been an official statement regarding this yet - but my point is that you have to approach this with basic financial common sense and the pieces fall into place. What makes the most sense financially? That's really the question that needs to be asked.

Personally, I don't think this is a good thing for the anime industry. It's nothing against ADV; congratulations to them on their acquisition. But Geneon's looming absence as a major player in the industry will leave a crater. They were pleasant people to work with, and it's been made clear that a very large portion of Geneon USA's workforce will be losing their jobs, which is very unfortunate. Speaking as someone who works for a website that owns a magazine, Geneon would routinely bring great Japanese guests over for conventions, and would always make them available to the press for interviews; obviously that's in jeopardy now. They were a solid company to work with, and it looks like the people I dealt with most - marketing and PR - are really the ones getting the axe here, and that's sad.
Now Watching: 

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
Re: ADV partners with Geneon
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 12:27:45 PM »
Geneon was always my favorite of them all.  ADV was lazy.  Funimation has bad dubs (even though I don't watch them often).  Bandai is sucking away too much of my money with Suzumiya Haruhi boxes.  Their quality had better stay the same or improve!  I doubt that last one, though. 

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me
"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
Currently playing: Rewrite

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 08:43:51 PM »
I agree, Geneon as always released and distributed the best animes. For example, Samurai Champloo, Serial Experiments Lain, etc etc

Half my collection is Geneon. Though I like ADV thinpacks. For those of us who are financially poor, we like to have a way of getting our favorites without spending 150 bucks. I mean come on, the Fusighi Yuugi box set is gonna cost me 225 bucks. What the hell is up with that!

Anyways we'll see what happens in the following months.

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 02:08:18 PM »
Well, Aoshi, I hope you know that the partnership was cancelled a while ago.  Geneon's just plain dead now.  Buy their stuff while you can.  I did.

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 08:07:26 PM »
Well considering i dun pay attention to anime news. I jsut watch anime :)

Unfortuantely I can't buy much for I'm saving up for my vacation in december.

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 07:49:52 AM »
Well, Aoshi, I hope you know that the partnership was cancelled a while ago.  Geneon's just plain dead now.  Buy their stuff while you can.  I did.

Great, I still have a Serial Experiments: Lain boxset with a bad DVD 1. I was hoping that perhaps I could finally get it replaced (it was damaged at the factory). It would have been done now, but I refused to pay for a new one like TheRighStuff wanted me to.
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 11:12:57 AM »
Oh great.  I use rightstuf a lot.  Didn't know they had that odd policy.

The only good thing about buying at stores is that you can shake it to find out if the DVD's loose.  Haven't done that in a while.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 11:13:34 AM by Waffo »

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 11:19:35 AM »
Oh great.  I use rightstuf a lot.  Didn't know they had that odd policy.

It's been a bit. I believe they wanted me to pay shipping both ways and a $5 "replacement" fee. Given that would be about $15 total (UPS ground is about $5 for shipping each way), I was understandably upset.

I'll probably call next week and bitch them out about it again and see if I can just get to pay the shipping to them, and nothing else. I understand TheRighStuff isn't Geneon, but they are paid to be Geneon's customer service department and should act that way.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 11:21:04 AM by Motoko-chan »
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious