Author Topic: Bruce Lee portrait  (Read 2723 times)

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
    • My Pulitzer Prize winning blog
Bruce Lee portrait
« on: March 09, 2006, 01:38:21 PM »
so here's a portrait i did of Bruce Lee for my drawing class. this was done entirely in charcoal. the actual thing is about 2 feet wide or so, a little bigger i think, so i couldn't really scan it. it's a photo, and the only thing i changed were the levels in Photoshop. if you want to see higher res versions, i could upload some.

anyway, comments and criticisms are welcome.

http://home.comcast.net/~clashff/bruce1.jpg
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 07:52:11 PM by clash »

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline T-Aya227

• Slightly Buzzed
  • It's ART you fools! Art!!
Re: Bruce Lee portrait
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 05:31:57 PM »
><   WOW    ><

Drools.....awesome  ><
Copy and Pasted....<.<

What are YOU looking AT?!

Offline Kuroneko

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 09:30:41 PM »
wow  :o that's really good, I suck at realistic drawing... well I just suck at drawing. but the eys seem kind of small... or maybe that's just how he looks :P

Offline T-Aya227

• Slightly Buzzed
  • It's ART you fools! Art!!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 05:11:58 PM »
asian eyes....... ;D
Copy and Pasted....<.<

What are YOU looking AT?!

Offline Spike Spiegel

• Addict
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »
wow  :o that's really good, I suck at realistic drawing... well I just suck at drawing. but the yes seem kind of small... or maybe that's just how he looks :P

Bruce Lee is an Asian, love. Ha ha.

Well, in response to the picture: very lovely. My only problems are with the head. Yes, Bruce is Asian as hell, however, those eyes are a trifle too small for my liking. Also, I can't say that his hair looks all too great. In my opinion, you should have razzled it up a bit, man. Other than those small critiques, I think it's very well done. Charcoal is a drag, though. I hate that stuff.

Also, now that I take another long look at the picture, it appears to me that  the background is a little rough. It seems like you became bored or something after the body was finished and just screwed around on the background. However, I can't really say anything because I tend to do that same exact thing whenever I draw something.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 07:03:49 PM by Spike Spiegel »

Filippo Inzaghi is da man. Also, Italy is da man. AC Milan is also da man just as equally.

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
    • My Pulitzer Prize winning blog
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 07:48:46 PM »
Well, in response to the picture: very lovely. My only problems are with the head. Yes, Bruce is Asian as hell, however, those eyes are a trifle too small for my liking. Also, I can't say that his hair looks all too great. In my opinion, you should have razzled it up a bit, man. Other than those small critiques, I think it's very well done. Charcoal is a drag, though. I hate that stuff.

Also, now that I take another long look at the picture, it appears to me that  the background is a little rough. It seems like you became bored or something after the body was finished and just screwed around on the background. However, I can't really say anything because I tend to do that same exact thing whenever I draw something.

here's the reference picture:

his hair's not too complex, but yeah, it's not done too well, especially the highlights.

you're right, the background is pretty rough. i was in a hurry to turn the assigment in so i didn't have much time to work on it.

there are lots of things i don't like about it when i compare the two afterwards. there are some proportion issues, and the face is slightly off. also, like you said, the hair and the background aren't too great. it was my first time using charcoal, and i don't really like it. it's very messy, although it blends pretty well.

but anyway, thanks for all the comments, they're much appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 07:49:19 PM by clash »

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

anything