Author Topic: The Mystery Behind Mario's Cape/Raccoon Transformation  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Youko Kenshin

• Infamous Bishounen Hunter
  • Budding Addict
    • MySpace Profile
The Mystery Behind Mario's Cape/Raccoon Transformation
« on: January 29, 2006, 04:31:16 PM »

Have you ever wondered why Mario flew like that with his cape?

...or why he transformed into a raccoon in SMB3?

This is a very simple explaination...if you know about Japanese myths and cultures, that is.

In the Japanese Shinto religion, they believed that foxes and raccoons were shapeshifters, transforming into anything their heart desires. The humans could not tell if they were really animals or not, which, in tune, made them very clever animals.

What does that have to do with Mario? Well...that's easy.

This involves the raccoons. They can transform into anything with any part of their body...well...the male raccoons, they can transform their testicles, as seen here:

(Screenshot taken from Miyazaki's "Pom Poko")

And there you have it. Well...there is one other thing that I should mention...

When you transform with the cape or become a raccoon, the reason why they use a leaf is because when beginning raccoon shapeshifters start out, they put a leaf on their head before they transform, and when the leaf falls off, they know that they successfully transformed.

And that's the reasoning behind Mario's cape/raccoon transformation. ^_^

Offline Odd

• Psychic for Hire
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Humor Is the spice of life!
Re: The Mystery Behind Mario's Cape/Raccoon Transformation
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 08:07:11 PM »
so Mario's ball sack is his cape? and it's yellow... i knew he was Italian.... but he has a bit of white thrash (i.e. jammer, etc.)
Follow. But. Follow only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.
~

Offline Jammer

• Slightly Buzzed
  • _crappy overly long series_ HAHA
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 05:53:46 PM »
Leave me out of this you vile piece of garbage.
As the universe expands, I contemplate whether it was God or the Big Bang that made man...

Offline Odd

• Psychic for Hire
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 06:08:44 PM »
Nay, as in accordance to the universal rules (pg. 294. sec 2. paragraph. 7) By posting in this topic, i then claim all rights into calling you white thrash. But if then you say "Leave me out of this" and has the words "vile" and/or "garbage" I then claim all ownership to your soul.
Follow. But. Follow only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.
~

Offline Jammer

• Slightly Buzzed
  • _crappy overly long series_ HAHA
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 11:42:40 PM »
Odd I will give you one thousand years of pain!!!
As the universe expands, I contemplate whether it was God or the Big Bang that made man...

Offline Odd

• Psychic for Hire
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 04:44:51 AM »
i object to that motion, and move for an murder!
~