Author Topic: YOU DON'T KNOW JAPANESE. So Stfu, please.  (Read 9550 times)

Offline Koi_Rebekka

• Clean
  • The Stalker Of Simon Cowell
    • Um...My site?
YOU DON'T KNOW JAPANESE. So Stfu, please.
« on: January 12, 2006, 06:29:38 PM »
A week ago, before I became ill with the flu, I brought my imported AISHITERUZE BEIBI manga to school with me to read on the bus, because bus riding is boring as hell.

While sitting in my seat with a friend who also likes manga, she asked me to translate parts of it for her. While my Japanese vocabulary is not perfect, it certainly surpasses most seventh graders'. I agreed to read aloud and translate parts, so I did.

Then, it dawned on me that people were eavesdropping me and asking me to teach them Japanese. . .

Now, I would normally not have a problem, however, I heard one particular individual who really pushed my buttons:

"I can speak it, too!"

At first, I was kind of happy to hear that, possibly, someone else might know Japanese, or at least a little bit.
However, her vocabulary consisted of:
Anime, kawaii, inu, baka, sugoi

And that was it. Let us put this lightly, I was very, very appalled. I don't care how jealous she may have been of me, because it was downright insulting to hear an "Otaku" rape the Japanese language, and claim superiority over me because she's twelve years old and knows five words. . .

It took me a very long time to 'get the hang of' Japanese. Five years, I've been constantly studying sentence structure, writing, grammar, and vocabulary. (Since I was eight).
 Right now, I am attempting to learn Kanji, but I know only around one hundred characters out of the Joyo 1945+ Kanji. I can in no way claim fluency for the Japanese language, and otakus who barely know three words should have no right to claim fluency, either.

Discussion point:
~The "Otakus" and anime fans who claim fluency of Japanese language, do they piss you off?

My Boards are FINALLY up!

I'm a scanlatin as we speak!
Muhuhuhuahhahahahahahahaha!!! :) :)
http://koirebekka.proboards27.com/index.cgi

Offline XxXlilycatXxX

• Clean
  • mabye... just maybe..
Re: YOU DON'T KNOW JAPANESE. So Stfu, please.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 06:41:04 PM »
Pardon my iggnince, but Kawai mean 'sempai' when attached with the honorific O? It would greatly please me to try and understand what your opinion on it.

Offline Koi_Rebekka

• Clean
  • The Stalker Of Simon Cowell
    • Um...My site?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 06:48:22 PM »
Pardon my iggnince, but Kawai mean 'sempai' when attached with the honorific O? It would greatly please me to try and understand what your opinion on it.

The word that I am referring to "kawaii" means "dear", "darling", or "cute".

As for honourifics, I have not heard of this. XP
However, I shall find this out.
My Boards are FINALLY up!

I'm a scanlatin as we speak!
Muhuhuhuahhahahahahahahaha!!! :) :)
http://koirebekka.proboards27.com/index.cgi

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
    • My Pulitzer Prize winning blog
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 07:24:42 PM »
people are ignorant. so in turn, ignore them.

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 05:58:20 PM »
Retort point: stfu little girl, gb2(middle)skool

Offline cherylshoe

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Goobie La La
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 02:51:55 PM »
OMG ;_______; yew r sho meanie cccnnn-chan!! So baka ne coz I noe wutt she's talkin about haha JAPRAP ja ne~~!!!! ^_^;

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
    • My Pulitzer Prize winning blog
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 06:33:22 PM »
more like:

YOU DON'T KNOW JACK

AMIRITE?!!

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 06:35:06 PM »
Does it matter, let them believe they can speak japanese. You can't really tell people to stfu cause no one really knows japanese until they can fluently speak it. Since you can't I think you need to stfu (not to be totally mean). Yes you know some but until you know the whole language don't gripe about this cause you are always gonna find anime otakus who believe they can speak the language. Just ignore them if you don't like it. I frankly find this thread utterly ridiculous and if you want to gripe go to the Angst Thread cause posting a totally seperate thread about something this is...how do I put it...stupid.

Don't get me wrong I understand where you are coming from but neither you nor I have a right to complain when:

1) We aren't even japanese (if I am wrong about you then please correct me)

2) we can't even fluently speak the language.

Just let them be. Let them be happy. Let them live a world they want to live cause you are stealing that away from them. Some people need that world.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 06:40:05 PM by SaitoHajime101 »

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 10:29:27 AM »
Does it matter, let them believe they can speak japanese. You can't really tell people to stfu cause no one really knows japanese until they can fluently speak it.

I think the problem that Koi_Rebekka has is their smug attitude and that they don't seem to care that they don't really know the language. Imagine something that you are somewhat good at and that is quite difficult. Now imagine someone else has a very small knowledge of the same subject. Also imagine them trying to tell YOU how good they are and how you are wrong. Surely it would likely upset you.
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline arekkusu

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 07:13:29 PM »
This is totally contradictory. She doesn't even realise that her own smug attitude and naivety gainsay her argument. 

The "Otakus" and anime fans who claim fluency of Japanese language, do they piss you off?

Yes. Yes you do.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 06:52:58 PM by arekkusu »
"He who chases two hares, catches rabies..."

Waya475

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 07:49:39 PM »
Pretty funny since you make it sound like you're an expert in Japanese but you don't even know what an honorific is...

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 02:23:32 PM »
Does it matter, let them believe they can speak japanese. You can't really tell people to stfu cause no one really knows japanese until they can fluently speak it.

Also imagine them trying to tell YOU how good they are and how you are wrong. Surely it would likely upset you.

Heh well actually if that was me I just ignore them like I do just about everyone else around here. But that is just me.

As a said before, let them live in their fantasy world. Stop tryin to take it away from them. If they want to believe that are smart and know what they are talkin about let them. Its much better then gettin into a confrontation with them. And let me tell you, I know people who get into fist fights over something as trivial as that. Just let it go. I see people all the time that believe they know japanese. Hell you can find those types of people all over the internet for crying out loud.

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline sLaVeGiRl911

• The aBoLiTiOnIsT
  • Addict
  • Dokomade mo dakishimete hoshii-Fujimoto Miki
    • xanga- sLaVeGiRl01
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 02:30:37 PM »
I don’t claim to know it. But there are friends of mine at school who swear to Ala that I do. When in fact I know there’s people out there (EX: Koi_Rebekka ) who knows more than I ever will anytime soon (and I think she’s my age! XD).

There are people out there, (one of them being me) who can’t learn a certain language because of family reasons. I’m Filipino, I get teased all the time that I don’t watch the Filipino channels that we bought. Or that I know more Japanese stars (mostly singers) than Filipino ones. So learning Japanese, especially in my age, where I'm slowly forgetting Tagalog is difficult. I get teased all the time for forgetting small words (still fluent though).

But I would love to learn. Not just because of anime. I do listen to the music and watch some shows. And I think it’s a way more complex language than most, its always fun learning something challenging.
Spanish is easy, so I got that covered.

Yeah, I guess this doesn’t really have to do with anything, but I just found this an interesting topic. But below does:

Heh, I know Im not one to talk since I don’t know Japanese so well. But theres this guy who likes me claiming that he knows Japanese just to impress me…. His examples were “Kawaii, Ito, sempai, arrigatou, and gomenasai, Syonora” and that’s it. So I do know where shes coming from after all – but I don’t make a big fuss out of it.

-sLaVeGiRl911
Running out of anime siggies.....

WE FOOKING SUPPORT YOU Ai-BON!!!!We support you. dont give up... but give up smoking ^_- Gambate!
Tsuji... you better help to =_=
http://www.xanga.com/sLaVeGiRl01

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 12:45:57 AM »
I wonder if anyone actually read slavegirl's post in its entirety.

Offline sLaVeGiRl911

• The aBoLiTiOnIsT
  • Addict
  • Dokomade mo dakishimete hoshii-Fujimoto Miki
    • xanga- sLaVeGiRl01
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 10:05:24 PM »
XD Its not an essay!

-sLaVeGiRl911
yippie 800
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 10:06:10 PM by sLaVeGiRl911 »
Running out of anime siggies.....

WE FOOKING SUPPORT YOU Ai-BON!!!!We support you. dont give up... but give up smoking ^_- Gambate!
Tsuji... you better help to =_=
http://www.xanga.com/sLaVeGiRl01

anything