Author Topic: Max Payne Series  (Read 1695 times)

Offline arekkusu

• Slightly Buzzed
Max Payne Series
« on: August 21, 2005, 06:32:42 PM »
uncovered Max Payne 1 and 2 when i was cleaning up my desk..
anyone play this epic series?! MP 1 was a bestseller, but MP2's release unfortunately (for rockstar) coincided with the release of a couple of huge games (halo i think) and was consequently left to gather dust on the shelves..

anyway i played both again, and i just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this brilliant hybrid film noir video game?? (and the secret ending in MP 2??)

"He who chases two hares, catches rabies..."

Chaos

Re: Max Payne Series
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 06:09:02 AM »
secret ending? gotta play again. halo 2 is good.  :D

Offline arekkusu

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 07:58:07 PM »
um.. this aint a thread about halo 2 (i think it sux ass compared to h1 but thats beside the point) but yeh if u finish max payne 2 on "dead on arrival" (hardest difficulty: friggin terminator guys who take about 20 shots to kill,  painkillers are few and barely heal, bullets cause more damage and u only get 4 saves per chapter(!!!)) u get a special ending.. of course u could avoid all that by asking me what happens (it only 2 extra frames anyway)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 10:13:39 PM by arekkusu »

Chaos

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 05:07:22 AM »
Ok tell me. plz!

Offline arekkusu

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 08:12:49 PM »
o.k. well u know how Mona Sax dies in both the 'detective' and 'hard-boiled' game endings??

"she was dead.. the bullet in her head had come to the end of it's slow-motion journey.." etc..

in 'dead on arrival' the tone of the ending is completely different to the rest of the game (and contrary to most film noir story endings).. Max kills Vlad and crawls back through the rain to find Mona's body.

"God.. I turned out to be such a damsel in distress.."

as in the other endings, she still says this, but this time her voice is less strained and her face is far less pale and deathly.
Instead of lamenting on the irony of his whole vendetta thing(i.e. 2 prev endings) , Max instead proposes that "maybe some good came out of it..."

the cops show up:

"we need a medic here!! we have two survivors.. repeat two survivors!"

Max and Mona embrace, as the NYPD spotlights illuminate their sillhouettes against the stark contrast of the black "Noir York" skyline..

the game finishes with the ominous solilequy from Max:

"i had a dream of my wife. she was dead, but it was alright"

possible set-up for Max Payne 3? frickin hope so..