Author Topic: Learning To read raw  (Read 2951 times)

Offline standing_apart

• Clean
Learning To read raw
« on: August 18, 2005, 09:21:49 PM »
Does anyone know where i can get a book or a site where i can learn to read the raw manga. I've wanted to learn how for a while but don't know where to start. Any help would be great thanx.

Waya475

Re: Learning To read raw
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 08:26:56 AM »
Uh....Learning to read manga in Japanese takes a LOT more than simply looking at a book or a site.  It takes a while to learn hiragana and katakana, and even then, takes years to be able to know enough Japanese to understand it.  This is completely ignoring the fact that the manga you may want to read might have kanji, which would make it infinitely harder.  If you want to learn, take a class.  It will take lots of dedication and hard work.  Japanese is a language, not something like pig latin, that would take 5 minutes to learn.

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 09:30:18 AM »
Yeah... Like Waya said, you're not learning to read manga, you're learning to read an entire language, which can't be done overnight.

Offline Roots

• Clean
  • Searching for wings...
    • My personal homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 08:50:59 PM »
As someone who reads manga raw, let me give you my advice.

First of all, everyone else is right. You need to take formal classes, there just is no substitute. (Well there is, but it will be A LOT harder and take you a lot longer, plus your Japanese won't be as good as it could be by taking classes). I took 5.5 semester of Japanese in university, and that was enough to get me a good head start. I also bought the bi-lingual edition of Love Hina, which has the Japanese and English equivalent right next to it, so it's a good source to learn from. (It was translated by a British guy though, so he uses some weird slang and terms).

After the Japanese in university and Love Hina bi-lingual, that's when I started translating School Rumble. It was hard at first, because I had to look up a lot of words and A LOT of Kanji, but as you keep doing it you start to remember more words and it becomes easier for you to do. Even now though, I typically can't read a manga chapter front to back and know absolutely everything that was said; I have to use the dictionary to look things up I don't know.

So if you were planning to learn how to read raw manga over the weekend, give it up. If you're ready to commit yourself to learning for 3-4+ years, go for it. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hero of Allacrost - http://www.allacrost.org
  A free SNES-era RPG in development
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline raxiv

• Clean
  • Party Starter?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 08:55:44 AM »
hehe or just get yourself a friend who will read it aloud for You which will kill the climax ofcourse. Bad idea.

. . Sky is more bright when You have someone to look with at... do you have someone? . . .

Offline Clear

• Clean
  • Very clear
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 12:41:22 PM »
Yep as said Go to lessons to learn it its extremely hard to just learn it of a website especially when the web site goes through the tough things straight away Ive been going to lessons now for 12 weeks so far I've learnt all hiragana and a tiny of katakana romaji is where you will start off at first and then gradually build it up.  I think that you can learn it OK within 2 years instead of 3-4 depends on how hard you get stuck into it I'm not on kanji yet nor do i know how hard it is to learn when i find out ill edit this.
 Good luck anyway. :o :) ;) "maybe one day i can translate too"
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 12:42:35 PM by Clear »
河下 水希 ありがとう! いちご100% 2002 - 2005
May your work be in fame forever!

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Look me up at #White_base and #Zg-fansubs at Rizon
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 03:15:18 PM »
The main problem is vocabulary. Since most of the words aren't spaced like other languages you can't always look words in a dictionnary. I have also a lot of problems with Kanji. There are  so many kanji that I always have to look at the hiragana next to it to know what it is. You shouldn't have said read raws anyways since you have to learn how to read Japanese. I've just started my classes though. It's an intensive class at McGill worth twelve credits. Now I may have just started but I can still have a vague Idea of what is written. However the vocabulary kills me I just have nothing to base myself on. I speak Spanish, French, English, Italian and German. It was always pretty easy to learn these languages since they all share plenty of similarities and thus accelerates the learning process. However with Japanese it's way different, totally a whole new concept for  me. Well that's all I can say since I'm not as well versed with the language as most of the staff at #Yanime. The only thing I can say is take a course and then practice. Practice everyday and listen to it even if you don't understand. That's what I am doing. I'm listening to plenty of raws because it helps your brain remember the word itself and not to make a connection with the fansubs. Either way that's the way I try to learn new words even if I don't know their meaning. Well that's what I know and I hope it helps.

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Offline Clear

• Clean
  • Very clear
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 11:18:13 PM »
Thats right words arent spaced and its hard to pick them out annoying for now but ill grow into it
河下 水希 ありがとう! いちご100% 2002 - 2005
May your work be in fame forever!

Offline Koi_Rebekka

• Clean
  • The Stalker Of Simon Cowell
    • Um...My site?
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 06:45:48 PM »
:XP

I hate being thirteen and in a Junior high which does not offer secondary languages besides Spanish.

For five years, I've been working hard at Japanese, and I'm still learning. I'm sure I'm barely considered 'fluent', and I've poured out my money into buying books, and I've spent hours struggling with it, but I think it's worth it.

For starters, I'd recommend tackling Hiragana and Katakana before even starting the language structure.
This could easily be searched on the internet, but I have books that not only show the romanji of each character, but stroke order and such as well. I recommend books over internet, personally.

Also, if classes are unavailable to you, I suggest pouring out money to textbooks or elementary grammar books next. I have a few books, and I plan to buy a workbook or two, but they're kind of expensive, so watch what you buy.

Kanji can also be found in books and the internet, but I recommend the book Kanji and Kana: Revised Edition  (Wolfgang Hadamitzky and Mark Spahn). It contains the 1945 Jouyou Kanji and 284 Jinmei-you Kanji, and Hirigana and Katakana. It is extremely useful, and has indexes with the readings, radicals, etc of Kanji listed.

Still listening? Good. Keep on.

Practising is one of the absolute most crucial factors of Japanese. You HAVE to practise to keep it embedded in your mind. Otherwise, you will probably forget. I use alot of flashcards, I label things in my room with the Kanji, Furigana, and Romanji readings of the object, and I memorize useful phrases.

You also have to be very, very devoted to your studies, and practise every day. Japanese takes a while to learn, but to me, it's worth it. I read raw manga to help with my understanding of Japanese, and I also have a picture book or two. :D
My Boards are FINALLY up!

I'm a scanlatin as we speak!
Muhuhuhuahhahahahahahahaha!!! :) :)
http://koirebekka.proboards27.com/index.cgi

Offline rams123

• Clean
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 05:29:25 PM »
im kinda envious, im an idiot so its kinda hard learning lol, but im doing my best im tackling hiragana then ill be moving to kat, expext to see me asking for advises from yall in this weeks.... lol lol