Author Topic: MP3 Players  (Read 9914 times)

Offline Yukio

• Addict
  • Do we dare fight against fate? Or do we live on?
Re: MP3 Players
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 10:50:11 PM »
I would not say you sound like a commercial as you actually have some solid information that is helpful. Honestly, I would say its more like a review rather than a commercial though. ^_^

The brand of my previous mp3 was a Philips which I quite liked because unlike ipods you could put any song or video on it without them having to be varified by a program first. Of course, I will be sure to check out more information about the Zune as it seems to be quite good.

Did your original Zune die or did you just want to get a new one? The reason I ask is if it died then how long did you own it before that ocurred and if it did not die then I would have an idea about how long it would last.

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 02:57:49 AM »
Nah, it didn't die, I just bought the new Zune HD for several reasons. I gave my old one to my older brother. It still works just fine but that thing was a brick compared to the new slim Zune HD (not to mention the battery life in the old 1st gen Zune was only about 8 to 12 hours vs the 24 to 36 hour battery life in the HD). There was alot of other changes aside from the physical player itself. I owned the first gen for about 2 years or so, give or take a couple months. I purchased the Zune HD about 5 to 6 months ago.

Biggest thing for me with this new Zune HD vs the old one was the Japanese language support on the HD player. On the old one, the Japanese music I have that were in kanji, hiragana or katakana would come up as blocks instead of actualy symbols, while in the HD it actually displays the language correctly. Microsoft did a good job with the Zune and it definitely could out beat the Ipod hands down, but Microsoft doesn't do enough marketing on it. It's actually one of the few products Microsoft has released over the past couple years that has been solid with no real hiccups.

Something big I forgot to mention about the Zune. The touchscreen. The GUI is nice and it's smooth when transitioning between songs or sections in your Zune. It does take some time to get used to. I spent an hour or so just fiddling with the Zune, getting familiar with where my fingers should move on the screen when changing songs, or raising/lower volumes and such. Unlike with the old Zune where it was all about pressing buttons (easier to memorize), being touchscreen leaves no grooves to familiarize yourself with. So you'll spend some time just getting used to it for sure.

I've been hearing about other MP3 players out that support FLAC format, but I don't get why anyone would want that considering how much space FLAC takes up (fact that its uncompressed vs the compressed mp3s). I figure the MP3 players with FLAC support are more for real audiophiles.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:14:16 AM by Aoshi101 »

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Yukio

• Addict
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 03:28:37 AM »
I have never really liked touchscreens that much since with quite a few of them fingerprints and the such normally get left behind on the screens which I find to be quite annoying.
Of course, that might be different with the newer mp3's that use touchscreens since it has been a year or so since I last used one with such a screen.

I honestly do not know what FLAC format and for me if the sound can be heard clearly without any problems then that is fine. Hehe, audiophiles...now I have the thought of someone stalking another for the sound they make.

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 03:37:22 AM »
Without a drawn out explanation, mp3s eliminate certain sounds above a certain wavelength while FLAC doesn't do that and keeps it all. Thats as far as I know. So that allows for better quality as you're getting the entire sound, not just from specific frequencies. However in the end, unless if you have a trained ear, you won't notice the difference. I figure it was something to bring up since you're shopping for an MP3 player.

Yeah the touchscreen on the Zune can get pretty smudgy (I use my Zune frequently). As long as you're not constantly switching between songs or doing other stuff on the Zune, it doesn't get that bad. I'm not sure if there's addons or stuff for the Zune like a screen protector or something. That would be something to look into though.

Fortunately I'm not an Audiophile or else i would be stalking some studios for some real quality sounds  ::)

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Yukio

• Addict
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 03:46:31 AM »
Yes, those audiophiles are quite annoying. You have to always watch your back...otherwise they will alleviate you of your sound.  :'(
Quite simply, you will only know the difference in sound if you are like a dog...or with dog-like hearing.

While I do admit that the touchscreen is somewhat of a turn-off the rest of it would allow for quite a good mp3 player. When watching videos does the screen seem large enough? Such as with anime episodes or things of that nature?

I will most likely get a larger one since my flash drive library is getting hard to categorize now. lol

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 04:11:46 AM »
The screen is good size, but I haven't watched anime on it. I did watch the Star Wars Clone Wars on it though and that was fine viewing. Then again I had the screen like 5 inches from my face. I don't wear my glasses like I should  ::) Maybe you can find a store that has it out on display, so you can get a physical look at the size and everything, to see if it would work for you.

Offline Yukio

• Addict
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 04:24:14 AM »
Ahh, I see. Well, with my former mp3 player the screen was something like 2-1/2 inches by 3 inches which was a little...small. I would have to say checking it out in person would be a good idea though I live in an area where finding one would be somewhat...difficult, so I will most likely have to order it online.

The image of you hunkering down and squinting at a tiny screen is actually quite interesting. lol

Off-topic: Where do you find episodes of Star Wars: The Clone Wars?

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 04:35:35 AM »
I get the Clone Wars episodes from Demonoid, however i haven't watched any of season 2 cause im waiting for a batch torrent to come out so I can watch em all at once.

The screen size of the 64 gig Zune HD is 3.3 inches, 16:9 aspect ratio. The screen resolution comes out to 480x272.

Yeah when im on the city bus, if im watching a video, im bent over in my seat. I look like im staring intently at the floor  ;)

Offline Yukio

• Addict
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 05:07:52 AM »
Ahh, so you use torrents. I normally avoid those unless it is something I must absolutely watch since it takes so long to download anything. Especially files that are larger than 1gb.

The screen resolution is quite good for a mp3 player. If I can not find one with a larger screen that is of similiar quality I will most likely get a Zune. It is quite interesting seeing other people's reactions when they see someone do nothing but stare at one place especially if they do not know what they are looking at. I guess curiousity gets the better of some people.

Anyone else by any chance have any recommendations?

anything