Author Topic: Anyone watch Asian foreign films?  (Read 18796 times)

Offline sLaVeGiRl911

• The aBoLiTiOnIsT
  • Addict
  • Dokomade mo dakishimete hoshii-Fujimoto Miki
    • xanga- sLaVeGiRl01
Re: Anyone watch Asian foreign films?
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2005, 02:32:56 PM »
I havnt.
But then again I havnt watched foriegn films in months ;_;
I need to fine new decent ones. I havnt been keeping up with the website I used to go on...

-sLaVeGiRl911
Running out of anime siggies.....

WE FOOKING SUPPORT YOU Ai-BON!!!!We support you. dont give up... but give up smoking ^_- Gambate!
Tsuji... you better help to =_=
http://www.xanga.com/sLaVeGiRl01

Offline sLaVeGiRl911

• The aBoLiTiOnIsT
  • Addict
    • xanga- sLaVeGiRl01
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2006, 09:04:30 PM »
Double post, oh well =P

I just saw a Korean movie worth talking about. Its called 3Iron. Its crazy.. theres barely any dialouge bur you understand it really good. It gets more and more exciting.

Summary: A man who lives in other peoples houses without the owners knowing *how he does it? Find out =P* He sneaks into a rich mansion oneday, but it turns out that the wife of the owner *who has been beaten badly by her husband* was actually in there. The man comes home later *after the two spend time together* and the "homeless" man beats up the rich dude and the girl comes with him. They fall inlove and live the lifestyle of the man... but something happens which leads him to become invisible * basically a ghost* to people around him. All to be with the one he loves again, the beaten up girl. =P

-sLaVeGiRl911

WE FOOKING SUPPORT YOU Ai-BON!!!!We support you. dont give up... but give up smoking ^_- Gambate!

Offline cherylshoe

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Goobie La La
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2006, 10:37:25 PM »
yea.

Offline sLaVeGiRl911

• The aBoLiTiOnIsT
  • Addict
    • xanga- sLaVeGiRl01
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2006, 07:36:28 AM »
XD...

Yeah, you know  you love my stupid summary. And you know you are gonna cehck out that movie because of my aewsomeness.

-sLaVeGiRl911

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2006, 02:00:12 PM »
I saw like 6 great Korean films right before Christmas, but damn it all, I already forgot what they all were. Most of them had comedy and someone pretty though... unlike all other Korean films. <<;;

Offline sLaVeGiRl911

• The aBoLiTiOnIsT
  • Addict
    • xanga- sLaVeGiRl01
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2006, 02:29:12 PM »
I havnt been keeping up. Soemtiems I think my teacher *who I got obsessed over asian thrillers* has watched more than me! and I give all the titles and reviews to her! its not fair... shes got money to order them on netflix and blockbuster.

-sLaVegiRl911

Offline praisecanti

• Clean
  • I colored the photo, but did not draw
    • Photo I am working on
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2006, 11:37:16 PM »
Oldboy --------------------------------------recommend good camera angles, and music
Sympathy for mister vengeance ------first movie in vengeance series, no where as good as oldboy
lady vengeance------------------------- last movie in the vengeance series
H ------------------------ A horror movie that would be like mixing seven with silence of the lambs
House of Fury -----------------------------recommend comical action flix
House of Flying Daggers -------------- crouching tiger type movie
Battle Royal ---------------- neat in a creepy kill all your friends way.
Ichi the Killer ------------------not for the weak hearted, and fans watch the anime for more horror
Samurai Fiction --------------- comical samurai movie with some values embedded in it
Audition ----------------- another horror gore flick like ichi different plot
Ong Bak ---------------- low budget good action Thai fighting movie
crouching -------------- crouching tiger type movie
hero -------------- crouching tiger type movie
Friend --------------- looked good, but failed in its plot
Volcano High -----------------------------recommend, see it in Korean
and many others

Want to see the wishper corridors series expesically wishing stairs. And anything else I can get my hands on. I watch whatever I can get ahold of.
"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."
Oldboy

Offline sLaVeGiRl911

• The aBoLiTiOnIsT
  • Addict
    • xanga- sLaVeGiRl01
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »
Moswt of those I have seen, or I have in my HD just not watched YET.... I think Im bored enough to watch something to entertain me... This sucks... so many partys... cant go to the one I want.

-sLaVeGiRl911

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2006, 11:06:43 AM »
Yeah, I've seen all of those... I disagree with some of the comments, though. Especially the labeling of any Chinese martial arts movie as a "Crouching Tiger type of movie"... no.

And Friend was awesome, no dissing.

Anyway, I finally saw Natural City (Korean) because my friend gave it to me for my birthday... it's pretty good. It looks great and the idea of the plot is great, but it just seems a little too typical. Although, it is much better than your average movie. If you like Blade Runner, the idea behind it and the look of it is much like that... minus the film noir feel and the overall darkness of BR.

Offline sLaVeGiRl911

• The aBoLiTiOnIsT
  • Addict
    • xanga- sLaVeGiRl01
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2006, 08:50:21 PM »
I just saw the Eye part 2...
Pretty awesome, not really like the first one, but great ^_^

Now I will see something called Face... Its Japanese.
Blockbuster has really UPED their Asian films. I saw 3 extrememe and 3 Iron over there (which I have watches... AWESOME) mixed in with the new releases!

-sLaVeGiRl911

Offline Kagemusha

• Clean
  • Eater of Souls
    • Otaku Den
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2006, 09:21:18 AM »
My Mother the Mermaid, The Kings Clown (still in theaters in Korea), Welcome to Dongmakul, Arahan, Nabi, Take Care of My Cat, Voice, All about Lily Chou Chou...

anything by kim ki-duk, anything by kim ki-young (but good luck finding them muwahahahahah only at old korean film festivals or here, in korea at the korean film archives), park chan-wook (although i do think sympathy for mr. vengeance is more interesting than oldboy in terms of korean cinema) and his next movies are gonna be awesome (one is about vampires but isnt a vampire movie and the other one's title translated means "its okay if your a cyborg" which is about mental hospital patients and one thinks theyre a cyborg). Oshima Nagisa, Kurosawa Kiyoshi...Miike of course

Sword of Doom, Ikiru, Yellow Earth, The Killer, Hard Boiled, Yojimbo, a hidden fortress

fulltime killer (and anything else by johnnie to...), infernal affairs trilogy, vertical ray of the sun, scent of green papaya, cruel stories of youth, the yakuza papers series, in the realm of the senses, anything by wakamatsu koji, Repatriation, Womens Movie Trilogy, etc...etc...

PS... Boo

Thou shalt be smited by my mighty wrath...

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2006, 06:19:20 AM »
You don't post in a thread practically made for you for like a year and you just list some of the movies you like? No responses to anything said earlier? LAZY.

Offline Floating_Sakura

• Clean
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2006, 09:39:28 AM »
just for judau's comment, i actually did read through the whole thread.. most of it was a waste of time.. too off topic...

well... let me comment on a couple off comment posts:
jdrama, kdrama, cdrama: try www.yesasia.com
mmm.. the other off topic thing i felt like commenting... yea, blockbuster have huge foreign section here... but I think it depends on the demands... I used to live y a gay/lesbian area.. and there was an entire isle + more of gay/lesbian films... ^^;;;

Anyhoi*~ now back on topic
oldboy is awesome... 3-iron is my favoirte korean film in recent times... and no korean comedy? What happen to "My Wife's a gangster", "My sassy Girl", and all those teen comedies?  ::)

For a serious recommendation: try JSA.  It's about JSA, the border between south and north korea, where the soldiers of the north and south commit a forbidden friendship... only it's made in a way that it's a thriller.  Directed by the same director who did Oldboy
Sympathy for Lady Vegeance I haven't seen.. apparently the film after oldboy that Chan Yoon Park did.. i heard it sucks.. but if you're a big fan of JSA, oldboy, and three... extremes (oh, this one is good too for those chan yoon park fan, well... 1/3 chan yoon park.. since the other 2/3 is chinese and koran)...

Now onto the chinese?  House of Flying Daggers, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.. If you're a Zhang YiMou's fan, might want to try Hero as well.  Other than that, Zhang YiMou's older work is actually slighty more artistic, political and depressing if you feel like checking those out: Raise the Red Lantaurn, The Road Home, To Live are some of my favorite... again..  slighty on the political side...

Oh! how can we be mentioning asian movies without Wong Kar Wai? My favorite director who also happens to be the famous Hong Kong director that actually has his film made into the cannes every year almost?
Check out:
Chung King Express
In the Mood For Love
Days of Being WIld
Happy Together

Other than that, how about some Johnny To?
PTU
Election

Speaking of Takeshi Miike, it remins me of a film I saw in the past toronto film festival: Yokai Disenso.. it's good!! Otherwise, some other Takeshi's older title that I like that's not really like Ichi the Killer and Audition (too fucked up for my taste): "Brothers" and "Fireworks" ...

Then, let me introduce you to some indian films...
sure, bollywood stuff is good! but Deepa Martha <333  You can't call her an Indian film maker since her films are all banned in India.. ^^; but they're filmed in india nonetheless
I've recently watched "Water" from her, I've never felt some stunned by a film*~
Water is about a 6 year old girl, who has just lost a husband (sad thing they even marry girls off at 6 in the first place).  Only widows are bad luck... so se is sent by her parents to this house of widow, and is to spent the rest of her life there.  Through her point of view, we witness love in its purest form, te strange culture that is as strange in our eyes as hers... and other evilness...

Anyow, other Deepa Martha's title are: Hollywood Bollywood (unlike her other films, this one is actually funny), Fire, and Earth.

I've done my job, now someone recommend me somethign more unusual to watch.. since i've watched 95% of what is mentioned above...

oh... to those who likes the Eye and Eye2... I'm recently getting into Thai horror.. .the thai knows what's scary.. but I can't think of the titles off the top of my head... so I'll post again if someone's interested... ^^
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 01:49:25 PM by Floating_Sakura »

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2006, 04:45:43 PM »
just for judau's comment, i actually did read through the whole thread.. most of it was a waste of time.. too off topic...

First off, I wasn't really being serious, and I was really just talking to Kagemusha because well... I'm allowed to make fun of him all I want (both friend privileges and Admin privileges), but also just because he has been absent for quite some time. Also, I don't consider talking of Blockbuster's Asian film stock is off-topic, as the topic has been generally used as an all around Asian film thread and has actually been more orderly and on topic then I have seen in... well a long time. Nevermind, too bad too... I forgot about that stuff during mid July. That's only one page though, most of the rest at least has some quality to it.

On another note, I do believe My Sassy Girl and My Wife is a Gangster were mentioned, they had to be... down with My Wife is a Gangster 2! *blech!*
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 04:48:48 PM by Judau »

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2006, 05:23:29 PM »
chingoo was ownage

also... my sassy girl is pretty awesome...despite being a chick flick...i loved the chick in it <3__<3