Author Topic: *** SPOILERS *** Chapter 152 RAW discussion  (Read 7651 times)

Offline AmbiDextrose

• Budding Addict
*** SPOILERS *** Chapter 152 RAW discussion
« on: April 08, 2005, 07:56:55 AM »
Wow. What can I say? First, we were correct in our collective assumptions that Aya was indeed the other 1508. Second, in the last part, when Junpei wished he wanted to see Aya again, she came back. I'm a bit sketchy on this part but I think she finally told him she loved him since middleschool. Meanwhile, Tsukasa decides to leave Junpei (I don;t know if for good or because she was messed up) and Kozue is heartbroken to discover that Junpei already has a girlfriend. I'll post my (pathetic) translations when I get back from work but it looks like Kawashita is rushing to an ending (or it may extend up to another volume).

Offline _yeah

• Clean
  • I'm a llama!
Re: *** SPOILERS *** Chapter 152 RAW discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »
I am teh dispeller of teh misconceptions!

Nishino didn't actually dump him - she just backed out and ran away from the confrontation right after she put him on the line. Weaksauce. :p

Offline AmbiDextrose

• Budding Addict
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 08:16:14 AM »
That's what I said. She didn't say outright that she was dumping him but was going home because of a headache (I think was what she meant).

Heh. Weaksauce, indeed :P.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 01:52:23 PM by AmbiDextrose »

Offline Grahf

• Seeker of Power
  • Budding Addict
  • HNIC
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 10:18:58 AM »
Damn it...... I guess I'll have to check out IRC for the raw right??  Gah.  Thanks for the heads up Ambi, plus its good to see that our guess were correct.  About the whole 1508 thing but it was a little obvious I guess. *shruggs*

G-thugin it up.

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Look me up at #White_base and #Zg-fansubs at Rizon
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 10:47:13 AM »
Can someone PM me the adress of Raws on IRC because I don't know where to download raws on IRC. thanks.

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Offline dEvIlDuDe

• Clean
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 11:13:53 AM »
This chap seems like a sad episode...

Offline AmbiDextrose

• Budding Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 03:22:54 PM »
Something to ponder on: Chapter 152 marks the ninth installment of what will be Volume 17. Since  there are normally nine chapters per volume, Kawashita could be planning another volume which would take it to around the second week of June OR, if she decides to end it starting this Sunday, she could do a two-part chapter (like she did for Chapter 1). Incidentally, if she does decide to go for another nine or ten chapters, the manga will end around the same time as the anime series if the rumors of it only being 13 episodes holds any truth. My gut feel is that she may go for another volume just to close out everything neatly, so take heart, Tsukasa fans- she may yet be the chosen one as we may have another nine or ten chapters to go :D.

Regardless, next week's chapter should be very interesting now that Aya has laid her cards on the table (after no less than 152 chapters, I might add). I also wonder what happened to Satsuki after she was carried off by the rugby club on Chapter 150. It will also be interresting to see what Tsukasa did right after leaving Junpei- my guess is that she wandered around, found herself in front of the bakery where she works and ran into Higure-san.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 03:51:05 PM by AmbiDextrose »

Offline Ariel

• Clean
  • Hi.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 09:36:46 PM »
I will cling onto the hope that Tsukasa might be chosen, no matter how unlikely it may be!

I'm sure there will be another volume though, if it ended in the next chapter, it'd be too abrupt, unless the next chapter will be longer than usual.

Offline iodoethane

• Clean
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 10:38:49 PM »
Wahaha I was first to guess Aya's 'love number' :D

It's almost impossible for the manga to end in another 1 or 2 chapters, I agree... most likely it'll go on for a while yet.

Nothing is gonna happen to Satsuki; she also got carried off last time, and isn't going to find any romantic interest there. Hopefully she'll somehow get together with Amachi; perhaps if Manaka chooses Aya, she and Amachi will wind up consoling each other or something.

As for Tsukasa, I'm guessing she just went home after the festival, to try and sort through her feelings. If Manaka does heartlessly discard her (I'm not siding against her, just saying if this is the way the mangaka decides to go), she'll probably leave for France pretty soon to pursue her dream and try to get over Manaka at the same time. This way she might indeed end up with Higure.

It's still possible for Manaka to get Tsukasa though, everything is up to him now. Were it his wish, he can even go for Satsuki or Kozue, both of them will readily be amenable to him (but of course we know his choice is only between East and West).

So it's really his decision now, but I don't really see him going for someone else now that Aya has finally made clear her feelings for him, and he had always liked her all along... the only complication is that he's still officially in a relationship with Tsukasa, and Aya knows that too, so this is the furthest she's going to go (confessing her love for him that is); she's not the type who'd force her case (though it might be different with Satsuki). So if Manaka starts saying "I'm glad but unfortunately there's Tsukasa" she'll probably answer that she just wanted him to know and run away. She'll pretty much go along with whatever he wants otherwise, assuming her brother doesn't follow her and turn up later.

If he wants Tsukasa (which unfortunately seems pretty unlikely right now, seeing how he just let her go off like that, the creep), he'll have to talk to her immediately and convince her that though he liked Aya and probably still do, Tsukasa is the one he really wants to be with and that he'll never leave her in doubt again.

Offline iodoethane

• Clean
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 10:55:24 PM »
Ok a rough summary of the chapter:

It starts with Manaka trying to sort out his feelings. He decides that he likes Tsukasa; even after knowing that Aya doesn't have a boyfriend, he thinks Tsukasa is still the most important to him (I'm not sure if he's just thinking this on the spur of the moment), and regrets making her upset. He was about to explain this to her, just when Tsukasa says she's probably tired and is going to go home, and apologises for not watching their movie.

So despite what he thought through, Manaka just let her go without even saying anything more. Listening in the background, Kozue got pretty upset, now that she knew that in addition to Aya, Manaka liked Tsukasa as well, so there wasn't going to be a chance for her.

Anyway, Manaka starts to wonder if he's the right person for Tsukasa, while back at their movie screening, Misuzu commented that they had less viewers this year than last year, perhaps due to the matter with the 'love numbers', but at the end all the people watching liked the movie very much. Manaka starts thinking about Aya then, and Misuzu thought of how she'll be the only person left in the club next year and got a little upset.

Manaka went back to the clubroom and thought about Aya some more, and we see Aya on her way home with her brother, who brought up the subject of Manaka once more, saying he's not suitable for Aya. This made Aya remember that there would be no more activities for the film-making club, and she suddenly wanted to see him very much, so she ran back to their clubroom, somehow hoping he'd still be there (and of course he was).

Once she reached there and saw him, her nerves gave out again, and was unable to tell him face-to-face. Finally she confessed her love for him while standing outside the room, and we see that her number is indeed the same as his.

Offline AmbiDextrose

• Budding Addict
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 12:49:32 AM »
Well, here are my translations of selected dialog for Chapter 152. Those who know Nihongo, please feel free to jump in and point out my mistakes. The italicized dialog signifies the characters thoughts/feelings and not what they actually said.

Quote from: Aya (page 13)
souda. . . .
 "i heard that. . . ."

mou bukatsu wa nain da
 "club activities have already ended."

manaka-kun no yume ga takusan tsu matta eizoukenkyuubu
  "manaka-kun always spoke about his dream of getting into film school."

atashi no yume mo atashi no omoi mo
  "in my heart, that too is my dream."
  "in my heart, this is also my dream."

aitai
 "i want (wish) to see (meet) you."

NOTES: In the second line, I had difficulty deciphering the purpose of 'nain'. 'nai' and 'n' are both used to negate the word it is conjugated to but this time, it is being used as stand-alone word. Thus, I had to guess the meaning based on the context of Aya's statements. The other word I had a problem with was 'aitai'. Literally, 'aitia' means confrontation or 'between ourselves' the kanji for 'a(u)' also means 'meeting'. Thus, I think Aya was either referring to the last statement about her and Junpei's shared dream or she wants to see him alone.

Quote from: Aya (page 14)
manaka-kun aitai. . . !
  "manaka-kun, i want (wish) to see (meet) you. . . !"

kyoushitsu no sumikkoniita atashi no sonzai o hajimete uke iretekureta otoko no hito
  "i was always in a corner of the classroom but for the first time a guy noticed me."

. . . anata ni
  ". . . you"

Quote from: Aya (page 15)
mada hanashitenai kotogaaru no
  "and yet there are time when i could have said something but couldn't"

imamatte doushitemo ienakute
  "until now. no matter what, i have to tell you."

demo konomama anata o ushinaitakunakute
  "but i don't want to loose you just like this"

atashi wa zutto atashi wa
  "i really. . . . i. . ."

NOTES: If I break the last word down, the root (dictionary) word is 'ushinau' which means to loose. If I put this is conjuctive form, it becomes 'ushinaI'. 'taku' is the conjuctive form of 'tai' which expresses 'want' of the person saying it and 'nakute' is the 'te' form of 'nai' auxilliary, which is a negation of the verb it is conjugated to. So, this would mean that 'ushinaitakunakute' actually means 'i don't want to loose (you)'.

Quote from: Aya (page 18)
couldn't translate the first line because I couldn't decipher the kanji nor the furigana
konomama kiite
  "can you hear me like this?"

Quote from: Junpei (page 18)
ii kedo nanda?
  "very well but why?"

Quote from: Aya (page 18 & 19)
kao mi tara  mata nani mo i e nakunatsu chau kare suki na no chugaku no ano hi kara zutto zutto
  "because if i tell you face-to-face, i might cry again. i've really loved you since that day in middleschool."

NOTES: The last line isn't supposed to be an exact translation (actually, none of them are :D). I may have mis-transcribed it and thus thr reason for the difficulty in translation.

THOUGHTS: Well, my thoughts on this chapter is probably the same as most people: it can still swing either way. Aya has laid her cards on the table, however, it might be too late because it seems Junpei has already settled on Tsukasa even if he knows Aya doesn't have a boyfriend yet (I'll post the transcription/translation of the first few pages tomorrow because those are relevant). Also, Aya's statement that she is loosing her 'trust' might mean that she is also in the process of letting go of Junpei and just wants to let him know how she has felt all these years before moving on. However, all still isn't clear because Junpei was (again) caught by indecision when Tsukasa decided to excuse herself before he could formulate a response. This was further exacerbated by him NOT DOING ANYTHING when Tsukasa left and the fact that Junpei expressed his wish to see Aya when he went into the film club's clubroom though this might be just so he could straighten things out and thank her for her contribution to their last collaboration. Indeed, the ball is now in Junpei's court.

In the event that he expresses his desire to be with Tsukasa (instead of Aya), it still remains to be seen if Tsukasa will put up with Junpei. At this point, that seems doubtful- Tsukasa has given Junpei several chances and now even she is unsure of Junpei's true feelings. It will take a massive effort from Junpei to win back Tsukasa- saying "I'm sorry, I won't do it again" probably won't cut it this time. At the same time, Kawashita (who is also a woman) probably won't let a female character like Tsukasa lower her self-esteem any more than she has had to.

In any case, the next few chapters are going to be really interresting.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 06:59:12 AM by AmbiDextrose »

Offline lum

• Clean
  • Hxh Rules
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 05:06:25 AM »
this chapter was... wow,
ichigo's definetly coming to an end.

the number thing was too cliched, sigh.. but i still reckon this is better than lots of other stuff, mainly due to the drawing style and the first 3 volumes.

Offline AmbiDextrose

• Budding Addict
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 11:04:01 AM »
Well, as promised, here is the translation (attempt) from the first pages, when Junpei was trying to sort through his feelings:

Quote from: Junpei (page 2)
ore wa nishino ga suki da
  "nishino is the one I love (like)."

tojo ga bunkasai ni sasotta no wa jitsu ototo dattatte wakate mo
  "eventhough now that I understand tojo invited her (younger) brother to the culture festival."

ima wa nishino ga taisetsu da
  "now, nishino is important (valuable)."

istudatte ore ni akaruku waraikakete kuru nishino ga suki nanda
  "i've always liked nishino- she always gives me a cheerful smile" (edited thanks to weeguy)
  ["somehow nishino always had a cheerful smile for me. (original translation)]"

nanoni, nanda ore wo ima kanojo ni konna hyojo wo sasete shimatterun darou
  "if that's the case, why do i always cause her this kind of expression? i guess i better do something." (edited thanks to weeguy)
  ["if that's the case, i guess now that she's my girlfriend, i have to cheer her up." (original translation)]
       <START RANT>'I guess'? 'I GUESS' ?!!! What an absolute idiot. <END RANT>

NOTES: Again, I had trouble with the 4th sentence- I just don't know what to do with the 'suki'. The 'ni' particle near the start signifies that Junpei is the recipient of the action implied (in the sentence) while the 'ga' near the end means Tsukasa is the subject. I think the fragment 'akaruku waraikakete kuru' means 'to come with a bright/cheerful smile'. If the particle had been 'no', 'nishino no suki' would have meant 'nishino's love'. The fifth sentence was also vexing, though not as much as the one previous to it. 'Hyojo' means 'facial expression' while I think 'shimatterun' means 'to put an end'. Thus, 'hyojo o sasete shimaateru' could literally mean 'to put an end to her facial expression' which I would translate to 'to cheer her up' considering the context of when it was said.

Quote from: Junpei (page 6)
nishino wa sou ittekun tase do
  "that was what nishino said before she left."

honto wa ore nishino ni fukasawashikunain ja nai darouka
  "i guess i'm really not suitable (appropriate) for nishino."

I just noticed that I'm getting used to starting my sentences with 'I think'- which is a common way for the Japanese to express themselves. However, I still have a long way to go :D.

THOUGHTS: It seems like Junpei was starting to center his feelings around Tsukasa but there is still uncertainty winthin him. In page six, he actually expresses his doubt whether he is really and truly suitable for Tsukasa. Even if he decides to be with Aya after her confession, he might still have some lingering feelings for Tsukasa if he doesn't straighten things out with her. Plus the fact that he was thinking of Aya when he went into the film club's room thinking 'aitai' (roughly 'i want to see/meet her'). Whether he's doing this out of sentimentality or real feelings is still unknown as he hasn't said anything to the effect that he still likes Aya but his reaction to the news that Aya was still single (chapter 151) might be an indication (a vague one at that) that he does.

As for Tsukasa wanting to get back with Junpei, I am reminded of the okame that came with Volume 7- in it is something the author wrote about Tsukasa: "a girl like Tsukasa who will always be there for you and cheer you on is perfect for a guy like you. But that doesn't mean you should always fall back on her."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 04:47:21 PM by AmbiDextrose »

Offline shikamaru

• Clean
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 11:52:58 AM »
can anyone send to me the irc channel for ichigo raws?
if you could PM me please.
and now I think that as an end comming, but these rumors about only 13 episodes of Ichigo anime, is very bad.

Offline AmbiDextrose

• Budding Addict
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 12:28:28 PM »
As far as the ending, Kawashita may end it in the next three or four chapters, then just have filler chapters until she has enough for an 18th volume (she's been known to do this and had done it on Akane-chan Overdrive and Kaede Typhoon although those were her early works). The filler chapters might pertain to what happens to the rest of the girls (e.g. Kozue, Satsuki, Yui, etc.) although she is rather fond of open-ended endings.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 12:36:08 PM by AmbiDextrose »