Author Topic: Guild Wars  (Read 2462 times)

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
    • My Pulitzer Prize winning blog
Guild Wars
« on: March 18, 2005, 03:43:02 PM »
for those of you that don't know, this is a new MMO that's coming out next month. my friend gave me a Beta Weekend Event pass for this weekend, and i started playing it today. from my limited time with it, i'm already enjoying it. it's easy to figure out how to do everything, so you're  familiar with the menus and nuances fairly quickly. now, the biggest draw of this MMO: no monthly fee. that's right, you read that correctly. i'm gonna quickly explain a few more things.

this is different from your average MMO, like WoW or FFXI. you start in a city, where you can see other players walking around and doing whatever. but when you leave the city, you're by yourself. you get your very own private world to explore by yourself, or with your party members if you happen to have some. now you may be thinking, "that doesn't sound too fun." well, i dunno how, but it is. the only places you see other people is in towns or checkpoint-like places. now, i don't want to sound long winded, so just a few more things. graphics are beautiful, better than any other MMO out there. like i mentioned before, everything is simple and easy to do, including the option to teleport directly to a different part of the town. this also applies to getting to other towns. don't feel like walking? just open the map, double click on the town and you're there. awesome.

as for how this game stacks up to games like FFXI or WoW, i can tell you that even from my limited play of it, i like it better than FFXI. as for WoW, i have never played it, but this game appeals to many more people. since there is no montly charge, people who want to play MMOs but don't have the money can play this. also, people who don't have enough time to play MMOs can also play this. this is a quest based MMO, and the focus is not on leveling your character up (though you still do) so you don't have to invest as much time.

phew. there are still many things i haven't mentioned, i encourage you to check out the official site, http://www.guildwars.com/, for more info.

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline Suzaku

• Clean
  • Bluburty
Re: Guild Wars
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 12:09:22 PM »
i checked this game out some time last year. it seemed pretty cool, but iv never planned on buying it. seeing guild wars has former blizzard employees making it, its gotta be good. i dont really do mmos though cus i know what happens once i start playing one.
Hide you faceu.

Offline Cloud13m

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 03:40:14 PM »
I watched phil play Guild Wars on Saturday and theres some things I don't like. The whole "world to yourself" thing is probably the reason why I'm never going to buy the game. I don't like calling it an MMORPG, since the only interaction you have with people is in towns, its like playing a single player game with an online chat included. You can trade and stuff but it still barely seems like a MMORPG when your all alone exploring the world (Most of the time). The pvp is fun though, but if it did have monthly fees I wouldn't see any reason to choose Guild Wars over WoW, just my take on the game.

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 05:25:18 PM »
well, i just played it with a party today, and it owns when you have party members with you in the world, and you're no longer alone. and there really aren't many good things about having lots of people in the world with you. this system elimates things like kill stealing, camping, higher levels training mobs on you, and people generally being assholes. also, watching me play the game is entirely different from actually playing it. i too was sceptical at first about the whole being alone thing, but i don't even notice it anymore, just because the game is fun.

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Chaos

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 02:05:47 PM »
played beta loved it.
played with my buddy loved it more.
Preist/ranger

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 01:31:01 PM »
i've decided not to buy this game anymore, i don't have the funds to do so. however, i will open it up at my work and take the CD key from the box, so i can play anyway >_>

Offline Private Prinny

• President of the "Harima Kenji" fanclub
  • Clean
  • *Kaboom*
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 03:17:46 AM »
Sorry for reviving an old topic!
But I like this game! It may have some flaws compared to the big ones, but hey its without a monthly fee! Just think about it! For only asking for the money for buying the game (where lots of money stays underway at the publishers the EBs the transportation-companys, etc...it is a VERY good game!
Maybe FF XI and WoW are better in many ways but the f*** they are now whiping their back with hundred bucks-bills! For me a game with monthly fee was a big NO SIR!, since I don't own a credirt card, so my opinion may be a little biased, but who cares?
Again: A great game.   :D
Only the ebayers and RLmoney<=>game money-traders piss me of, but thats a epidemic  in every MMORPG today, I think!  :-\
Signature? What is a Signature? Bah, I don´t need that extra-space,  to make a complete fool out of me!
Just take a look at my damn posts!

No native english speaker! Keep that in mind, while laughing at my baad grammar!

Offline kivol

• Clean
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 08:44:26 PM »
you can have a group but its like four ppl and yeah then its not as good. but didn't guild wars solve some problems with mmos. its good game, i am not that good at it though. i always loose in the arenas. i think it would be better if you could see the ppl in the world. but its still a pretty good game.

Offline Sin

• Seriously Addicted
  • Give me a light...
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 09:31:29 AM »
WEE GUILD WARS! But did I read the post right? You started this thread in march? I had the game in Janurary. o_O AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?! I've had it since Janurary and I bought it at Wal-mart. Anyway, you can actually get a part of 8 but I'm afraid I don't like the play THAT much. I really like WoW more cause of the RPing factor involved. It's hard to get people to RP with you on the game, most people are just into it for being idiots.

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 12:42:43 PM »
WEE GUILD WARS! But did I read the post right? You started this thread in march? I had the game in Janurary. o_O AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?! I've had it since Janurary and I bought it at Wal-mart. Anyway, you can actually get a part of 8 but I'm afraid I don't like the play THAT much. I really like WoW more cause of the RPing factor involved. It's hard to get people to RP with you on the game, most people are just into it for being idiots.

i don't think the actual game was out yet, just the beta weekend events. it came out in like april or may, i don't remember. i "obtained" a cd key for the game after it came out. since then, i think i've only played it twice.

anything