Author Topic: Board Management Discussion  (Read 18956 times)

Offline Motoko-chan

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
    • Motoko's Pagoda
Re: Board Management Discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 02:50:45 PM »
Ah, yeah. That is a federal law. If you are under 13, you are not supposed to provide your personal details (well, they aren't supposed to be asked for). That little thing is more a CYA from the makers of the board.
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Waya475

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 02:55:54 PM »
I agree that maturity is a large part of it.  When one member claims that a terrorist wants to kill/rape her, it is REALLY hard to respect said person, especially when you have not seen a change in said maturity for a very long time.  I also must admit that although IRC does have its idiots, they are very easy to ignore.  

What some people seem to fail to understand is that Yanime is NOT just a message board.  I bet people like Angel/Kitsune don't even realize we are now one of the larger scanlation groups on the net.  We need a presentable forum.  I am simply following the example of some of the biggest scanlation groups (Mangascreener, Toriyamaworld, and SnoopyCool)  Their admins can be strict, but their sites still have tons of visitors and quality discussions.  That is what I want the Yanime boards to be.  I do most of the principal modding around here, while Motoko deals with all the actual forum workings.  I've been modding for well over a year now, for many minutes of every day, and I get sick of the constant stupidity.  Is it wrong to want to quash that?  I personally don't think so.

Also, on the topic of how people would complain that I was cruel....I think honest is closer to the truth.  I do NOT like hiding facts from people.  If I find you obnoxious, I tell you so.  If I think you are an idiot, I will post my feelings.  There is no point to hiding the truth.  If you let something like that REALLY get to you, and you get really upset, then you take the internet much too seriously.

As alot of the scanlation fans only post maybe 5 times on the boards total, I don't think they are a huge problem.  I manage to keep them under control most of the time anyway.  But in my opinion, the main problem is people who fail to realize what Yanime is now.  Maybe every member should be encouraged to explore the rest of the site.  I dunno, this horse has been beaten so much, as I have had to stand up for my actions A LOT.

That really didn't follow any pattern, so I hope people can understand my contentions.

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 03:08:40 PM »
I totally understand Waya but maybe some situations don't require the complete truth and that some just require you to help someone and leave it at that. Not yelling at them, not critising everything they say or do, cause believe it or not this place is always gonna have peeps who are sensitive and will take what people like you say too seriously. You got to keep that in mind when you talk to some people.

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2005, 03:14:23 PM »
He has been trying to help, though.  He gave advice but no one took it.

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me
"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
Currently playing: Rewrite

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2005, 03:16:09 PM »
lol I am not saying he hasn't I am saying that along with the advice he has been giving out he also included put downs with his post which in turn makes the person recieving it not really wanting to trust him or take his advice.

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Ruri

• Meega na la Kweesta!
  • Addict
  • Gao~
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2005, 03:53:22 PM »
That is not completely true.  Although I think in my opinion Waya does go over the line sometimes, I back many of his decisions.

Waya DOES give advice often.  And I KNOW I've given advice often but it was never taken.  It was ignored.  To tell the truth, it all seemed as if the advice was ignored and the posts that members felt were personal attacks were the only ones they read.  I try not to act so hastily however it does get frustrating after a while and in a way encourages us to not bother posting anything helpful since it will never be seen.

Like Judau said, sometimes members need a kick in the right direction.

Sorry for using angel as an example but enough people have bothered her with her spelling and grammer that it's gotten a little better over time.  A lot better than it used to be at least.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 04:23:19 PM by Ruri »

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2005, 05:48:12 PM »
Okay I see what you mean. I now fully understand.

Offline Cabbit

• Myuh
  • Addict
  • Eat Carrots
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2005, 08:53:15 PM »
I've always had the idea that people should respect each other to the best of their ability, even if one isn't particularly deserving.

I've also always had the idea that criticism and shoves in the right direction can be given without insult and still be constructive. Not everybody is capable of doing that.

I've always had the idea that being capable of that, however, should be prerequisite for administrating moderating a message board.

~edit. Noting Motoko's many contributions to this board that have nothing to do with dealing with members.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 08:55:32 PM by Cabbit »

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2005, 09:05:43 PM »
~edit. Noting Motoko's many contributions to this board that have nothing to do with dealing with members.

I've done quite a bit of moderating. Check the Ichigo forum, where I usually try to keep the peace.

For the most part, in the sections I usually frequent, I've found that a nice request is usually followed. For things I consider important (not putting a spoiler tag in the thread topic), I've edited a post directly. I put a nice note in saying what I did if I have to do this.

I might do a lot of tech stuff on the boards, but I've dealt with members too. Feel free to criticise my behavior too. If you can make a compelling argument, I'm willing to listen.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 09:06:12 PM by Motoko-chan »
Motoko-chan

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:

twilght girl

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2005, 09:09:10 PM »
Can a complaint also be to bring a member back!? Waya's being mean, he's never gonna bring her back. I think thats unfair.

Offline Ruri

• Meega na la Kweesta!
  • Addict
  • Gao~
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2005, 09:46:37 PM »
Can a complaint also be to bring a member back!? Waya's being mean, he's never gonna bring her back. I think thats unfair.

Please state how Waya was mean and unfair.  Your one-sided arguement will not easily unban Angel back from being banned.  Back up your arguement and then it will be discussed.

If you have a problem, talk to another Admin/Mod about it.  If you really have a problem, IM me.  My away message is usually up, but leave a message.

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2005, 09:55:41 PM »
While a compalint can cause a ban to be removed, you need to show evidence that no rules were broken and that the admin acted unfairly in setting the ban.

If I recall, Angel has been a repeat offender, and has broken the rules a number of times. If you want her unbanned, you will need to show exactly how Waya is being mean, and acting unfairly. Just complaining with nothing to back up your accusations will not get you anywhere in here or in the real world.
Motoko-chan

Personal Links:

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2005, 05:18:04 PM »
For my sake please post which rules Angel has broken. Because the last time I checked bad grammer and spelling wasn't a rule.

Oh and if Angel promises to behave do you think she could come back?

Waya475

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2005, 05:24:44 PM »
It isn't.  The spelling.  And GRAMMAR.  JESUS CHRIST.

No, she can never come back.  Allow me to check the rules and modify this post to show which ones she broke.

HERE WE GO!!!

Read the stickies in each area you plan to post in. They will cover rules specific to that forum.

Personal attacks in any manner are not allowed. This covers posts, sigs, and profile information.

Flaming is not allowed. Please take up issues with another member in a private manner. Threads full of flaming will be locked and/or deleted. Repeat offenses will be grounds for a ban.

Try to avoid going off-topic. Posts that have gone off-topic will be locked or split.

Please avoid posting more than one message in a row. You can modify your original post if you forgot to add something. Double/triple/etc posts will be merged and you will be warned.

If you have an issue with a specific staff member, please take the issue up privately with another staff member. Harassment either in or outside the forums can be grounds for a ban.

In general, forum staff (Administrators, Global Moderators, and Moderators) have the power to impose additional rules not listed here. These rules should be followed. If you are at issue with a rule they have imposed, please contact another staff member to handle the dispute.

She has broken every single one of those rules in her stay here.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 05:38:46 PM by Waya475 »

Offline Aoshi101

• Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2005, 05:54:39 PM »
okay thank you

anything