Author Topic: D?  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Anthony

• Clean
  • hi
    • J-revolution
D?
« on: March 07, 2005, 10:11:02 PM »
Quick Questions, what does the D stand for? I was thinking Dark. I just need it cleared up.
www.J-revolution.com
^^^^^ Coming Soon! Waya said he'd join but he's lazy and does nothing! :D

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
Re: D?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 01:54:27 PM »
It's the middle initial of people somehow related to the pirate king. >_>

But, uhhh, I don't think it's supposed to make any sense yet. And who knows, maybe it'll never make sense. But it makes the title sound somewhat cooler. =/

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 05:26:20 PM »
if you noticed in the latest chapter... the skull of Mana has a "D" inscripted in olde english above its left eye socket.

Offline Reiyon

• Clean
  • "I know" isn't an argument...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 09:35:17 AM »
I've been wondering about that part too.
But (as cccnnn already mentioned) there was that D on that skull dude's forehead... So I believe that the meaning of this "D" shall come out, eventually.

Maybe it's just like "ze" (in other words, a wrong way how to write "the"). <- *doubts it already*

Offline chronos

• Clean
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 12:02:21 PM »
can "D" mean damned? (I'm not sure but damned mean cursed too, isn't it?)

it's possible no?
hello ! ^^
I'm French so sorry if i make a mistake !!!

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 01:15:26 PM »
if you noticed in the latest chapter... the skull of Mana has a "D" inscripted in olde english above its left eye socket.

Heh, I didn't really take notice of that. I bet you're onto something there.

Offline ArckAngel

• Clean
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 10:24:55 AM »
Personally I don't see the the reason for the entire name of the manga.  It's kinda strange I mean D.Gray-man? It's just a really really strange name for a really really good manga.

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 03:24:58 PM »
well with the skull of Mana's "D" and Allen's grey hair, you have "D.Gray" and since Allen is male, you have "D.Gray-man"!

Offline ArckAngel

• Clean
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 05:50:41 PM »
It's still a rather strange name.

Offline Reiyon

• Clean
  • "I know" isn't an argument...
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 10:08:04 PM »
well with the skull of Mana's "D" and Allen's grey hair, you have "D.Gray" and since Allen is male, you have "D.Gray-man"!

o_o; Good idea actually... Never thought of it that way.
Though isn't his hair white? *hmmmm*

Offline Rheo

• Clean
  • Life is a gamble
    • Rheo's deviantart
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 12:29:05 AM »
Sorry to bump this up, but I was wondering about it too...

Grayman is probably referring to Allen (grayish white hair?), and D meaning "The" makes sense to me...

But then again, maybe the author just thought that name sounds cool and used it as the title... :P A while ago I saw a bunch of people on another forum trying to figure out what the manga "Bleach" is named "Bleach"...

EDIT: Haha, I came across this here:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/diwan_sama/17391.html?view=17391#t17391

Q3: What’s the meaning of the title “DGray-man” ?

A: It’s a word I’ve created myself, it has many meaning. It may stand for Allen but for the other characters as well…… 

Speaking of it, before I thought of dgrayman as title there were other candidates. “dolls” for example, and before it “chrono war” or “zone” and others…..
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 01:23:45 AM by Rheo »

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 09:11:59 AM »
Grayman is probably referring to Allen (grayish white hair?), and D meaning "The" makes sense to me...

Regarding the "gray" part, I've been thinking it's something to do with being in between good and evil. There have been a couple times in the series now where people mention their "white" and "black" sides, and I'm thinking the "gray" is something to do with being in between.

A while ago I saw a bunch of people on another forum trying to figure out what the manga "Bleach" is named "Bleach"...

I thought it said early on in the series that it's because Ichigo's hair looks like it's bleached.

Offline Rheo

• Clean
  • Life is a gamble
    • Rheo's deviantart
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 01:48:46 PM »
Regarding the "gray" part, I've been thinking it's something to do with being in between good and evil. There have been a couple times in the series now where people mention their "white" and "black" sides, and I'm thinking the "gray" is something to do with being in between.

Hmmm... after reading that interview thing in the LJ, I agree with you.
For one, Allen's hair is white rather than gray, so I guess the "gray" of "D.gray-man" is not referring to Allen's hair.

It may stand for Allen but for the other characters as well…… 

Allen has an innocence and an akuma-like eye, that puts him in the gray area.
And that Noah's Family guy (Tiki right?) said something about him having a "white" self and a "dark" self. Noah's family are humans working for akuma, so they are within the gray area also.

I still think the "D" stands for "The" though :D

I thought it said early on in the series that it's because Ichigo's hair looks like it's bleached.

Are you serious? >.> That's what one of my friend told me, and I didn't believe him because it sounded... weird as a reason... >.>

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 05:11:21 PM »
said something about him having a "white" self and a "dark" self.

To be specific, he said "black" and not "dark", which is what leads me to further believe that it relates to the "gray" in the title.

I still think the "D" stands for "The" though :D

I doubt it. Like cccnnn said earlier in this thread, Mana's skull had a letter "D" on it, and I assume that has something to do with it.