Author Topic: Battle Royale  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Youko Kenshin

• Infamous Bishounen Hunter
  • Budding Addict
    • MySpace Profile
Battle Royale
« on: February 26, 2005, 05:07:02 AM »
The program...a government runned event that takes a class a junior high students (9th graders), give then weapons, and makes them kill each other until one is left standing.

Yes. You heard me.

42 students. Only one can live.

I love this manga (and the book is awesome too). But the problem is, that it is an 18+ manga, so I have to read it in the store. The other problem is, that most of the volumes are wrapped in shrinkwrap. DAMN YOU!!!! So I could only go to volume five...(but next time, I won't be so shy and only take off the volume five shrinkwrap...)

>.>'

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Look me up at #White_base and #Zg-fansubs at Rizon
Re: Battle Royale
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 01:44:19 AM »
Hey I have just bough the first volume and I also think that it is a great manga. Anyways I don,t really think that it should be 18+ and anyways That way you can at least know the story. However I dislike some of the mangaka drawing style.... Though I do like the main plot, it makes me think of George Orwelll's 1984.. lol

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Waya475

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 02:38:36 PM »
Drifting Classroom came way before Battle Royale, and has a cooler plot when it comes down to students killing each other.

www.omanga.net

Check it out there.

Offline Private Prinny

• President of the "Harima Kenji" fanclub
  • Clean
  • *Kaboom*
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 10:30:59 PM »
Since noone mentioned it before:

Battle-Royal-Manga is based (freely) on the real-movie (?)  Battle Royal.
Actually there are two of them, the DVDs have the best place in my room, and I still search for the best place there to be hidden by the great poster of the second movie collectors eddition.
Although the plot is really....weird....and some scenes are unwilllingly(??) humourus (????)
Yeah I know, I am a fanboy!
Here in europe there are not much good films which match my taste, and there are to few asian-movies here, because the demand is to low. And I am not willing(?) to be further brainwashed by the little-mans-bigbrainbug-center Hollywood (yuck! >:( >:()

But, now I am happy, *Oldboy* was finally released here, since I missed it on the cineasia(??)-festival last autumn in my city.

:o Back on topic.:
I still feel not too comfortable with the drawing-skills of the manga (but I only got my hands on the first volume here, maybe the skills improve a bit.

Boy, my english today! What a big fat *censored german word* !!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 10:37:31 PM by Private Prinny »
Signature? What is a Signature? Bah, I don´t need that extra-space,  to make a complete fool out of me!
Just take a look at my damn posts!

No native english speaker! Keep that in mind, while laughing at my baad grammar!

Offline JaisBane

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Alpha <3 Penor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 11:40:52 PM »
Actually, the first movie was loosely based off the manga and the second was Beat Takeshi criticizing the American gov't and has no relation to the manga.  In other words, the manga came first, around a good 10 years before the first film.
I scoff at your pathetic signatures!

Offline Private Prinny

• President of the "Harima Kenji" fanclub
  • Clean
  • *Kaboom*
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 04:46:48 AM »
o_O
Didn´t know that with the manga.
we never stopp leaning!
Well makes kinda sence.
And yeah, as I watched the second one, I thought that the american vievers will take it probably too seriously!
( as always  ;D ;D)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 04:49:17 AM by Private Prinny »
Signature? What is a Signature? Bah, I don´t need that extra-space,  to make a complete fool out of me!
Just take a look at my damn posts!

No native english speaker! Keep that in mind, while laughing at my baad grammar!

Cherry

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 06:43:31 PM »
Eh, i didn't know there was a manga of Battle Royale..how many volumes are there?..well anyways, i think i would prefer the movies, Chigusa lurv :3 oh yeah..and Shuya lurv too X3

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 09:55:08 AM »
I actually have 9 volumes and it doesn't seem to end yet. Although there are like 7 oe 9 kids left. Some of the cooler ones died already. People I would never have thought possible to die. Anyways I just hope that ill be able to see what ending this thing has.

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Chaos

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 01:10:56 PM »
Store Manager caught me readin it. :P

Offline theshonen

• Clean
  • Kawaii!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 09:10:02 PM »
I don't really like the manga  :-[. The movie was totally awesome though. Anyone here whos japanese must watch the movie.

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 03:35:22 AM »
Why the japanese there... It isn't needed. Anyone who like the plot and the mainstream of the manga must see the movie as it is totally awesome. Takes it to a different level since you experience the same pain/joy than when you were reading the manga but you take into account that those are humans that receive the blow, etc.

anything