Author Topic: /The Annex  (Read 5136 times)

Megan Aoyama

/The Annex
« on: February 24, 2005, 08:50:04 AM »
Cabbit and I have an anime forum .. And we'd like more members. ^^; So if anyone wants to join, we'd be thrilled!

/The Annex

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
Re: /The Annex
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 07:25:39 PM »
Heh, PyroNeko, Jen, and Vice are there... but no thanks, I don't have time for another board. ^^;; I keep trying and I keep failing at keeping up with the other ones. Good luck, though.

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Look me up at #White_base and #Zg-fansubs at Rizon
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 10:04:36 PM »
I'll join as soon as I have the time, wich will be in a couple of days. So I hope it is already in place when I come to see it.

I want it top notch! >:(

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Megan Aoyama

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 06:08:36 PM »
lol, we'll try ^^;

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 10:42:41 PM »
Cabbit and I have an anime forum .. And we'd like more members. ^^; So if anyone wants to join, we'd be thrilled!

/The Annex

Can I buy weed there?

Offline Cabbit

• Myuh
  • Addict
  • Eat Carrots
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 08:43:39 AM »
no.

Megan Aoyama

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 09:26:59 AM »
-.-" what he said >.<;

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 10:06:53 AM »
Not much of a forum then =|

Waya475

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 08:55:36 PM »
Haha, way to bash Yanime admins on the boards you advertise.  If you don't like the way things are run here, then leave.

I really got a kick out of the stuff you guys were saying =P  I guess I'm not deserving to be an admin, cause, y'know, I've been modding here for over a year, and people needed to be banned, but the old admins were never around (Cyber stalkers, pirateers, etc).  I guess I am also a jerk for wanting Yanime to be free of idiots.  Forgive me for wanting one of the growing scanlation sites on the web to have a presentable forum.  You pretty much insulted every admin besides Peter.  You instantly fell to our level, or what you consider our level by posting that stuff.

I also don't see how we "abuse" our power.  I don't ban people unless they deserve it.  Please explain Aoshi, if you have the brains to do it.  It sounds like you are a little kid crying "UNFAIR!" every time something doesn't go your way.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 08:58:34 PM by Waya475 »

Offline PastThe12thFret

• T3H KIN6 0F KR|_|NK!!1
  • Budding Addict
  • I'm Ben. Stop asking who Ben is.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 09:02:32 PM »
you know what strikes me as funny?  this quote from Sanosuke101:

some of em are morons. Like the way the picked on Felecia. That was horrible. I was extremely pissed.

You know what cracks me up is that the owner, HE DOES IT TOO!!!

you know what cracks me up?  THAT YOU DON'T REALIZE THAT HE CAN DO WHATEVER HE WANTS.  HE IS THE OWNER, EXACTLY AS YOU SAID YOURSELF.  and like waya said, if you don't like it, leave.  it won't bother us any.  it's sad that you didn't have the balls to say it here, so you had to run to some other board and start having chronic diarrhea of the mouth.

no matter what you think, all of the admins at the forums have been picked for a specific reason.  we all know what is to be expected, and we know the rules well.  our job is to enforce these rules.  however, us having this job will NOT turn us into robots.  we still have our own opinions and attitudes, and until we start acting like BECAUSE we are admins that we can break the rules, then we are just like the rest of you.  we're all members when it comes down to it, and we're all human.

Offline Ruri

• Meega na la Kweesta!
  • Addict
  • Gao~
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 09:05:48 PM »
Now, now cnn...no need to feed your weed addiction.
Besides, you have a fuckton of school work you should be doing. ;)

I checked out the forum.  I think the colors are pretty.

I read a couple threads...checked out a few of the forums.

One that caught my attention was the "GRAGH" thread in the Rants forum.  I wasn't aware that we were such morons and jerks.

"why does everyone make it seem okay for admins (OF ALL PEOPLE) on forums, and other members to rip apart the new posters?"

"I think Chuck tends to grant such things to people he knows anyway, even if they are jerks."

...Some quotes.  There is some other content.  But since you posted your forum here, I think it's fair game that it's pointed out.

I think it was very unwise of you guys to post your forum on Yanime and then rant about it.  There is some truth to the thread, however...I'm astonished by some of the things said.

Hah, and you think we're harsh?  At least we don't go making a thread about how much we dislike the way some of the people act in your forums.  We'll say it to your face.  Maybe you'll realize it.  If you want us to know something, stand up and say it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 09:09:57 PM by Ruri »

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 09:18:19 PM »
This has happened a few times before... and I do disagree with a lot said in that particular thread, as I think the only person who would have a decent opinion would be Kenohki himself, as he knows the staff in question (duh).

Although I will have to say here and now that I disagree with any usage of the word "jerk", as I don't see any of the staff here being jerks. Yes, we all have our moments, every admin and moderator does. And if they get slack from it, well, hopfully that might effect how they go about it the next time they are faced with similar situation. We can't always be perfect, I know I remember being a little rough on members in the past when they were really causing some issues but were not bad enough for a ban (for instance, rei, if anyone remembers back when he was only on for a few months)... and Angel can get on everyone's nerves, but she needs a kick in the right direction sometimes (yeah, its a little too often)... she's been here for quite some time, which makes me think she probably likes the attention she gets. Even if its "bad" attention. This leads me to believe its her own fault for staying and not even try and listen to quality advice from members and staff alike.

Anyway, guess that is all for now. I'd like this to not turn into another JT type issue for those who remember. That was friggin' stupid, and I do NOT want to deal with that again.

Offline PastThe12thFret

• T3H KIN6 0F KR|_|NK!!1
  • Budding Addict
  • I'm Ben. Stop asking who Ben is.
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 09:25:41 PM »
if this does turn into another JT issue, we need to have a huge boxing tournament.  it's the only way to solve this.

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 09:34:33 PM »
No. I've had enough of that crap for another 5 years. Almost no one helped me last time. -_-

Offline JaisBane

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Alpha <3 Penor
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »
I would like to address the point that Ken made about Chuck choosing admins from people that he knows outside of the forums.  The only peope that are actively involved in the scanslation portion of Yanime are Motoko and I, and the only other person who is actively involved with IRC is Waya.  The rest came from the board like you guys and were approved for admin/mod status by the rest of the admins.  I will admit freely that I am an ass.  I have a large ego and I don't sugarcoat my words.  I am a very friendly person and so I rarely do anything that reflects genuine hostility.  Basically, I try to use the harsh method to get people to either stop and think or stfu and gtfo.  I do hope you realize that I am possibly the least power abusive mod here.  I don't lock topics, I don't edit people's posts, and I don't toss around my weight to get people to do as I want.  If I do any of those, it's because a serious infraction of the rules has occured or my own personal sense of ethics have been violated.  Before people start saying that the admins are abusive, I would like to see evidence of when we use our power for personal gain.

Now, to adress the issue of strife in this forum.  There is this feeling that the people on here that come from IRC are better than the people that are only members of the boards, and this is mainly because IRC and the Staff have a much more intimate interaction with each other and closer relationships.  This is not right, but it's unavoidable.  We spend hours in the main and staff channels talking back and forth about anime, projects, life, what have you.  The IRC community is also much more playful and things like "pwning nubs" is seen as harmless and everyone participates in it.  If an op gets abusive, they get a good smack by one of the other ops and things fall back into place. 

Here there exists a division between the staff and forum members that we can call the cccnnn faction vs the angel faction.  While not everyone belongs to one of those, most of the incidents that arise here come from the angel faction doing something and the cccnnn faction pwning them and then the angel faction gets upset and a flame war starts.  When an admin intervenes, they get hasselled from one side for being too intrusive and from another for not acting sooner.  The truth is that there are many people on this forum that do stupid things (oft called nubs) and the act of pwning is meant to be a way of hazing those people for having a moment of idiocy.  If the person is truly a nub, the pwning will "ghost bust" them.  If they aren't, then they either have an epiphany and the idiocy is extinguished, or they use a reverse pwn and there is much laughter to be had. 

Here there is the unique situation where pwning neither extinguishes a nub nor corrects the idiocy.  The pwn is taken as a personal attack and the pwnee becomes viciously vociferous and very nearly violent about the incident (I hope you'll excuse my alliteration).  This becomes a very difficult situation to moderate because it is difficult to place the blame.  It is very easy to say that the pwner is at fault because they provoked the person, but the pwn itself is not flame and so it is possible to say that the pwnee is at fault for reacting to it improperly.  As a mod, I can't jump in and instantly lock any topic where this occurs in, nor can I start editing posts.  I can't edit the idiocy out of a post in order to prevent pwns, nor can I edit out a pwn just because someone might take it out of context, both users are well within their right to post those.    I can't control how users react to posts, to try to do so would be dictatorial.  What I can do is suggest that people lighten up and think about the reasons a person has for making a post before becoming upset.  Even if a post is malicious, if you ignore it then you stop the spread of flame and it makes it easier for a mod to deal with the person responsible.

As for admins "tearing up new users", either I'm completely blind and stupid, or you need to produce so evidence to back up your claim.  I have nothing against you personally, Kitsune, but it lends your post an element of credulity when you post examples as well.  I try to read as many posts here as I can, and at the moment I can't think of a single recent post where a new user was attacked.  Please enlighten me.
I scoff at your pathetic signatures!

anything