Author Topic: Gran Turismo 4  (Read 4223 times)

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
    • My Pulitzer Prize winning blog
Gran Turismo 4
« on: February 22, 2005, 02:12:08 PM »
oh man, it came out today, and if all goes well, i should get it in an hour or two. i definitely can't wait to play this masterpiece of a game. i'll be playing this one for years to come.....probably until GT5 comes out on PS3.

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
Re: Gran Turismo 4
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 06:59:30 PM »
ok, now i've got it and played it, so here's some feedback. first of all, the game lets you transfer up to 100,000 credits from GT3 into the game. a nice feature, though i decided not to do it yet until later in the game, i want more of a challenge in the beginning of the game. the graphics, they are beautiful, but i'm sure you know that already. handling took some time to get used to, as the only other driving game i've been play recently was GTA: SA, but after i got used to it, it rocked. abosolutely giant selection of cars...over 650 to choose from every era. if you liked GT3, don't hesitate to buy this one. i'll post some more about the game once i play it more.

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 07:34:19 AM »
Gah, I can't wait. >_< The pile of games for me to get is getting pretty large. :(

Offline PastThe12thFret

• T3H KIN6 0F KR|_|NK!!1
  • Budding Addict
  • I'm Ben. Stop asking who Ben is.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 09:20:44 AM »
on sort of a different note (but i think it can still be posted in this thread), did you see GT4 for PSP?  damn, that's like almost the exact same as the ps2 version. phew...

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 05:48:39 AM »
Yeah, but I'd stick to just the PS2 version, methinks.

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Look me up at #White_base and #Zg-fansubs at Rizon
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 07:16:56 AM »
Wow amazing I can't wait to get that game. I already have GT3 and I finished it. (took a hell lot of time but I did it).
I think it's a nice feature that you can transfer up to 100 000 credits, but I don't think I'll do it because I always felt that the best part of the GT series is getting your licenses and getting started with almost absolutely nothing.. anyways I can't wait to buy that game.
Has it come out already in the Canada-US area?

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 02:21:58 PM »
Has it come out already in the Canada-US area?

yeah, i live in the US, and it came out last tuesday, though i believe it was a worldwide simultaneous release.

i've read reviews about the game complaining about the AI of the cars, and they're right, the AI is bad, you can just drive in front of the "enemy" car and it will never try to overtake you. however, i think this is kind of a good thing, because, early in the game, the game pits you against cars that are much better than yours. i have a difficult time beating them as it is, because my car is much slower than theirs. the thing i can rely on is my driving ability, which far exceeds that of the computer (obviously), so if they made the AI drive really well, it would be almost impossible to win these races.

concerning the scrapped online mode, Polyphony said that they will be releasing a sort of online add-on to GT4 sometime this year. however, you can't really trust them with release dates, because when GT3 was released, they said that a B-Spec add-on would be released soon, yet they eventually just had it become part of GT4. i sure hope that the same thing doesn't happen with the online thing....

Offline seorang

• Clean
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 08:47:03 PM »
I just started playing it.... yeah, I'm slow.

One thing - whats the difference between buying a "2nd-hand" car and a brand-new one?
Battle doesn't need a purpose.
The battle is its own purpose.
You don't ask why a field burns or a plague spreads.
Don't ask why I fight.

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 01:32:52 PM »
One thing - whats the difference between buying a "2nd-hand" car and a brand-new one?

nothing really....except that the used car has more miles on it, and you have to change the oil when you buy it. the mileage doesn't really do anything...it's pretty much just an indicator of when you have to change your oil. and not to mention that used cars are cheaper than new ones, but that makes their sell-back price much lower. also, some cars you can only get used. the cycle of used cars changes every in-game week, and there are 100 cycles.

so, in short, if you're tight on money, and you want a certain car, check to see if there's a used one, you'll save a lot of credits.

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 06:21:42 AM »
The game is amazing, it's pretty cool and has plenty of choices for it. However there are some things I dislike about it, like : the freaking round thingy that is made with cones and that you have to knock down.... lol
anyways I only have 20% of the game done... and it took me like a reaaal long time finishing GT3 so I don't think I'm near close anything in the game. I was surprised that the Delorian was given so easily in the early stages of the game (I know it's not such a super car but it's still a Delorian men...) I really like the rally races and how now there are much more tracks in towns and cities (narrow ones, large ones, etc. This game rocks....

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Offline Transcending Kanzaki

• Urumi Kanzaki's Monkey
  • Budding Addict
  • Urumi Kanzaki is the greatest! ^.^
    • Beyond the pixrs
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 12:56:05 PM »
I like it.  Of course, the AI does need to be tweaked, and that weird blurry glitch that I get every now and then certainly does take away from the experience, but man I am this close to buying the logitech wheel for GT 4.  But then it wouldn't work for GT 5 so....I don't think I want to spend 150 if I can't reuse it later on the PS3.

I love my skyline... :-*

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 10:37:21 AM »
The blurry effect you get Kanzaki is what you would feel if you were driving in that manner. It's mainly a special effect of the game. When you hit something, turn too roughly or etc you sometimes get that blurry effect. Anyways I think the game is amazing and that's that.

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 12:53:28 PM »
actually, Kanzaki may have been talking about when the fps drops and the screen gets very shakey during certain courses. this is usually right at the starting line, and it occurs when all 6 cars are being rendered at the same time. the game can't handle that many polygons on the screen at once, and the shaking occurs. this is also why some cars are deemed "Special" cars and cannot be raced anywhere. examples include the Nike One and the Caterham car. the reason they're "Special" is because these cars have very high polygon counts (the Nike One has 3 times the amount of ploygons as any normal car, the Caterham is open top and there is no closed top version, therefore lots of polygons spent on the interior and the driver) and the game would not be able to handle them in a race with 6 cars.

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 07:11:57 AM »
Oh that'S what he meant! Sorry I didnt't get that since it hasn't happened to me yet! I'm mostly doing all the rally courses since they are my favourites!

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 03:15:55 PM »
actually, Kanzaki may have been talking about when the fps drops and the screen gets very shakey during certain courses. this is usually right at the starting line, and it occurs when all 6 cars are being rendered at the same time. the game can't handle that many polygons on the screen at once, and the shaking occurs. this is also why some cars are deemed "Special" cars and cannot be raced anywhere. examples include the Nike One and the Caterham car. the reason they're "Special" is because these cars have very high polygon counts (the Nike One has 3 times the amount of ploygons as any normal car, the Caterham is open top and there is no closed top version, therefore lots of polygons spent on the interior and the driver) and the game would not be able to handle them in a race with 6 cars.

Yeah, that's pretty annoying...

Anyway, I'm having fun, I'm at about 15% now... good stuff. ^_^