Author Topic: Ong-Bak  (Read 2206 times)

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
    • My Pulitzer Prize winning blog
Ong-Bak
« on: February 14, 2005, 02:18:02 PM »
this movie came out in theaters last Friday. it's from Taiwan i believe, and it's subtitled. it stars Tony Jaa, who many are calling the next Bruce Lee. i haven't seen it yet, but i've seen clips from the movie and it kicks ass. the stuff he can pull off is amazing. no safety nets, no wires, and no CG effects at all, it's all skills. i plan on seeing it this upcoming weekend, and so far, from what i've heard, the action kicks ass, and though the plot probably isn't great, that's not the point. the point is to show off the incredible stuff that Tony Jaa can do.

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline JaisBane

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Alpha <3 Penor
Re: Ong-Bak
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 10:24:19 PM »
Taiwan!?  It's from Thailand you douche.  Hence the Muay Thai fighting and the Bangkok setting.  I saw this movie originally on the first day of Otakon 2004 at 10pm and I bought the hong kong dvd the next day.  Quite simply, the stunts he pulls off are simply astounding.  I'm a huge kung fu flick fan that's seen hundreds of martial arts films and I've never seen stunts like these.  I don't want to ruin anything, but anyone who even remotely likes martial arts films needs to see this.  Oh, and as an added bonus I'll post the english plot summary found on the back of my dvd box exactly as it was written.  Let's see if anyone can correctly figure out the plot from that.  ^_-

In the businessman that teach the country
Thailand, stature of Buddha is a sacred an
d inviolable saint thing, however on helpi
ng shameless however sell the statue of B
uddha for the sake of the personal person
al desires.Day the head of the statue of Bu
ddha for for the sake of searching the hom
e toen robbing, alone arrive at Bangkok,
and fortune upon to depend to swindle to
rare with the, and the mistake take ased
the own same village.Pass bay a unexpecte
d obstacles, under is with the's helps, day t
he buildup for for by dint of whole body e
ffort, finally seeking returning the statue of Budd
ha destroy and completely, however......
I scoff at your pathetic signatures!

Offline clash

• Addict
  • You got beef?!
    • My Pulitzer Prize winning blog
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 02:14:08 PM »
Thailand....that's what i meant >_< i dunno.....for some reason, i got to thinking Thai = Taiwan...how stupid of me. i've seen a few trailers of the movie, and some demonstrations by Tony Jaa, and i have come to the conclusion that he could easily kick anyone's ass, bar none.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 02:14:25 PM by clash »

2PAC IS STILL ALIVE!!1124213132!!! FOTOGRAFIC PRUF!!LOL!2 http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=FOOL_STREET_21

Offline terrankill

• Clean
  • The deads are gone but I'm still here
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 03:36:51 PM »
My friend got the movie, but I only managed to see just the fighting parts, I guess thats what my friend thought was the only point in seeing that movie so thats all he showed me.  it was hella crazy indeed, he's like jackie chan crazy stunt plus bruce lee crazy power and donny yen hmm good acting face (??) yea something liike that.

Oh btw the summary is great, I couldn't manage to understand even one fucken line of it, haha...crazy asian fob.  Even communist Vietnam have better translation, and they do too, they have english and french translation, most of the people there know atleast 2 languages and a large sum knows 3.  There are even some who know 5...crazy shit huh....I only know umm 2,and maybe a little of other useless shit....
The deads are gone but I still linger on

Offline Kagemusha

• Clean
  • Eater of Souls
    • Otaku Den
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 03:46:01 PM »
Okay this is the plot: Tony Jaa (the Westernized name of Panom Yeerum who was also a stunt double in Mortal Kombat 2) needs to go resuce the head of his villages buddha from some gangsters in Bangkok... Thats it pretty much. There is a useless sidestory about Muaylek's sister addicted to drugs...

Anyway the plot pretty much sucks ass...and thats good cause who watches a martial arts movie for the story... Ive seen this more times than i can remember beginning on Thai VCD with no coherent english subs...

Heres what you can expect

1) A character named Dirty Balls...yes Dirty Balls

2) A 720 spin kick to a guys head...while Tony Ja's legs are on fire...thats just how Ja rolls...

3) The wierdest car chase scene in recent memory

4) grunting incoherent White people getting their ass handed to them by Ting (tony's character)

5) insane stunts that you swear someone had to die to do...

See it...

PS My friend ran into Tony the other day on the streets of NYC hes really short but could kill you easily...

Also he is making the sequel to Ong-bak now called Tom Yum Goong (basically Ong-bak 2 but with an elephant instead of a buddha head)

The director also remade his Born to Fight recently using the same philosophy: no wires, no cg, no doubles... my store will get it soon (Shameless plug: www.otakuden.com)

Thou shalt be smited by my mighty wrath...

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 06:50:52 AM »
*drools* Something else to borrow from Rufus. :P

Offline JaisBane

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Alpha <3 Penor
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 12:02:13 AM »
This movie proved my long standing conviction that Cantonese is the wierdest language ever wrong.  It is, in fact, Thai.  Oh, and one of my favorite moves is the Knee to the face that splits a motorcylce helmet in two.  Also, the actual move is about ten times more awesome than I said, for I left out many crucial details.
I scoff at your pathetic signatures!

Offline ducky

• Clean
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 01:58:08 AM »
Yeah! It kicks ass with the fight scene (Best I have seen, I don't how they coordinated it all) and made me say ouch  :-X a few times with some of the stunts (no strings attached, no computer graphics or stunt doubles) were amazing. Story lacked with the "Our village is doomed" however the fighting was original and real. There are subtitles, but they are simple to read. A touch of drug use, so only 15+. The characters were interesting.
Great to see. Expect violence and some laughs. A very action pack foreign film
 ;D

Cherry

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 09:59:48 AM »
Yes! it looks very intresting, i was up one night watching mtv and a commercial of it came on of this dude totally whooping ass, it looks really cool ^-^ i'd like to see it.