Author Topic: I like school Rumble!  (Read 7382 times)

Offline da MiGHTy pLUm!

• Slightly Buzzed
  • I like t'ings...
Re: I like school Rumble!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 06:05:48 PM »
Unless you know japanese yourself, I don't think you're in a position to comment on translation quality.  It's pretty much a given that there will be a fair degree of localisation done to any licensed title.  Deal with it.  Japanese puns and jokes don't always translate well, so the english equivalent is often used.  No big loss, and if it helps with smoother reading, then all the better, is what I say.  Don't bash it before you even see the final result.  Del Rey does have a decent track record with their titles, so I am looking forward to their release of SR, and a chance to own a hardcopy I can actually read.
Have Fun Doing What You're Doing.

Offline Zaephr Zentherius

• Clean
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2005, 10:57:04 AM »
i really don't mind to pay for it... but in my goddamn city you can barely see manga.

i've only seen chobits, oh my godess, evangelion, and like 1 or 2 more

i really doubt i will ever see a SR copy and even more, i doubt i will own one.

gues i'll just have to wait and check the stores... and if it isn't there i'll just have to chill out and forget about it
-_-
Original name: Zaephyr Zentherius, got screwed up into just being Zaephr, why? for me being a dumbass and writing it ratter quickly and not checking :P

Offline Roots

• Clean
  • Searching for wings...
    • My personal homepage
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 08:41:57 PM »
Why don't you guys just purchase it online and get it shipped to you? I never buy my manga in bookstores, because other people read the books and wear them out. If you buy it online, then you get a fresh copy.

Well actually I only buy raw Japanese manga because I don't like my manga "localized". It works for the common reader, but not for me. I can tell when a translation is not what its supposed to be without even seeing the raws now.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hero of Allacrost - http://www.allacrost.org
  A free SNES-era RPG in development

Offline Kaze101

• Slightly Buzzed
  • ~(^.^~)(~^.^)~ Dance Dance!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2005, 06:40:58 AM »
i really don't mind to pay for it... but in my goddamn city you can barely see manga.

i've only seen chobits, oh my godess, evangelion, and like 1 or 2 more

i really doubt i will ever see a SR copy and even more, i doubt i will own one.

gues i'll just have to wait and check the stores... and if it isn't there i'll just have to chill out and forget about it
-_-

what goddam city do u live in?

Offline Undark

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Shakugan No Shana ^^
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2005, 05:20:41 PM »
Not every city goes around selling every single manga published. And yes, ordering online seems a whole lot easier than actually going out to the mall/plaza to check if the store has it. Although I usually ask my friend if I really want it.

Unless you know japanese yourself, I don't think you're in a position to comment on translation quality. It's pretty much a given that there will be a fair degree of localisation done to any licensed title.

I am mainly directing it at the first english manga I saw translated after I started reading the japanese version, namely Naruto. I have not really gotten over the way how they really screwd up the translation. It's not just localization of jokes, it is also dumbing down everything as though you are a 6 year old.

I admit I saw Tsubasa Chronicles done by Del Ray. I don't have "too" big a problem with their translation. They do explain quite a bit of stuff under their original context. Then again, SR has a lot of different references to a wide variety of different japanese general knowledge. I am not even sure that I got all of them. Needless to say, the translation process would be different compared with Tsubasa Chronicles...

• Clean
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2005, 10:52:41 AM »

what goddam city do u live in?

in the "capital" city of the state Tamaulipas in Mexico. it's incredibly small for a capital city.
And yeah, i will later try to buy them online, i've think of that too, depends in how many metal bands shirts i buy first xD
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 10:53:37 AM by Zaephr Zentherius »
Original name: Zaephyr Zentherius, got screwed up into just being Zaephr, why? for me being a dumbass and writing it ratter quickly and not checking :P

Offline Roots

• Clean
  • Searching for wings...
    • My personal homepage
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 12:14:08 AM »
I admit I saw Tsubasa Chronicles done by Del Ray. I don't have "too" big a problem with their translation. They do explain quite a bit of stuff under their original context. Then again, SR has a lot of different references to a wide variety of different japanese general knowledge. I am not even sure that I got all of them. Needless to say, the translation process would be different compared with Tsubasa Chronicles...

I am looking very forward to seeing how they handle the "kappa" in chapter 15 or so of volume 1. There's no way they can triumph over my kappa note. :D

Hero of Allacrost - http://www.allacrost.org
  A free SNES-era RPG in development

• Clean
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 08:08:14 AM »
ah, the turtle-like thing hahaha
it was... wierd

they may end up putting a "translator note" or essay as someone said hehe