Author Topic: Are you too old to read/listen manga/anime.  (Read 11913 times)

Offline Angel of the moon

• me another one?
  • Addict
  • Stewie shall rule the world!!!
Re: Are you too old to read/listen manga/anime.
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2005, 04:51:22 PM »
Zell, You are never to old to enjoy what you like. But.. you might at some age, grow out of it. I know people think its nerdy, but hey!! People are nerdy.. and so am I. I don't plan to grow out of enjoys anime/ manga.. but hey!! I'm only a kid!! Well, keep enjoying what you like, and don't pay attention to the other people. ^_^

Love always,
Felecia
Fuck this fucking world. I don't belong here. I belong.. with someone like me. Someone nice who actually has feelings. who tries not to hurt other people. That would be nice. actually once -n- awhile... i wonder if there is a part on the world that is like that. I don't think so, cause the way people treat me. I mean, i don't try to hurt people, but, y'all do. People never understand me. Never have. Never will. So  just run away.

Offline Tenchisama

• president of the nee chan fan club
  • Budding Addict
  • Dang do I feel Old!
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2005, 06:08:50 AM »
my dad is 43 and he still watches the boxed dvd set of martian succesor nadesico  and Trigun  ;D
so no I dont think you can ever be too old
The world keeps spinning round!!!

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2005, 02:06:40 PM »
oh yeah, my dad loooves cowboy bebop. he's 47. but he's not big into it... he just likes some of it.

visit my deviant art gallery! http://mutsy.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline Tenchisama

• Budding Addict
  • Dang do I feel Old!
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2005, 03:16:01 PM »
yeah my dad wasent to much into evangelion I mean being a phsycologist and all he said this is just messed up somebody should just lock this guy up ;D

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Look me up at #White_base and #Zg-fansubs at Rizon
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2005, 06:36:04 PM »
It<s been a while since I have been on the site. I am very happy that people have answered truly this thread. As for me I still watch anime and read manga everyday (if I can) and I know that age doesnt matter. Now for a new kind of question I would like to say, why is manga and anime disliked or discriminated far more by occidental people. I mean I don,t think that if you read a comic book in Asia people would look down on you. However here people might do that because of manga... Why?

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Offline Motoko-chan

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2005, 08:28:35 AM »
I think the primary reason is the collective views of the society. In the US at least, manga is regarded as not much more than a comic book, and the comic book has long been regarded the domain of children, at least as far back as the first major comics like Action Comics and Amazing Fantasy. There just isn't a strong tradition of illustrated stories for adults. Anime follows a similar pattern.

About the only thing that comes close to illustrated stories are the Illuminated Manuscripts of the Medieval period. The US, however, doesn't have that in its history. Also, we have to look at the influence of the early founders. The Puritans (whose beliefs are still a strong influence) certainly were against any decorations that could take away from worship. Many other Protestant traditions are similar, including the Lutherans and Quakers.

The East on the other hand has a long history of illustrated stories, going a long way back. Manga and anime seems to be considered as an extension of this tradition. It seems that this is the reason that manga and anime are considered 'okay' for older people to read/watch.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 08:30:01 AM by Motoko-chan »
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2005, 04:13:55 PM »
Wow, I never thought that the Puritans would have something to do with this! lol
Thanks a lot Motoko-chan for a well tought answer... I never saw it that way. I always tought that it was also do to some racism....

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Offline Motoko-chan

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2005, 06:10:12 PM »
Nah. It is a lot more cultural.

I recommend reading The Protestant Ethic and the 'Spirit' of Capitalism by Max Weber if you are really interested. It's a bit thick, but you will understand Western society a lot better.
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2005, 06:04:49 AM »
Thanks I'll do so. When I'm done I'll post a thread concerning this.

Offline ID_ap

• Clean
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2005, 07:38:59 AM »
Well, I don't know about the other think people about anime/manga. But, for me is one kind of a treasure...

When I watch an anime or a manga, sometimes I felt like I'm the main character of that anime/manga...

I can felt joy, happiness, sad, mad and ect. Even that I realize that I'm a college...

And the thing I like from an anime or a manga is that they give a wise words that sometimes in our worlds is't true...
Ex:The most I remember a wise word from Naruto is "There ain't going to be any short-cuts!!"

Well it's that true that in our world there ain't going to be any short-cuts for our dreams or achievement right...

Maybe you gonna be confused about what I talking about... But just take a simple word that sometimes anime/manga gives me a special moments and experience when I watch...

Oh and sorry that my English is bad... Because I'm not well used English language...
People may be unkind, just be kind
They may CHEAT just be HONEST
They may forget your good deeds, just do GOOD.
In the end, its really between YOU and GOD,
it was never between YOU AND THEM.

God Bless...

Offline VW_Kidd

• Japan Bound
  • Addict
  • ...dakara...
    • Chained Bishounen
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2005, 10:00:24 AM »
I hate it when people tell me I'm too old to watch anime or read manga or play vids.  I love doing that, and I want to make a career out of one of them.  People can think I'm a nerd or a geek, or whatever, but I don't care. 
My Myspace

Join Gaia today and tell them VW_Kid referred you.

Offline Tenchisama

• Budding Addict
  • Dang do I feel Old!
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2005, 04:39:15 PM »
kill the non belivers grrrrrrr
too old my foot >:(
last person who said that too me I showd him a nice fighting trick from tenchi... right in the face ;D

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2005, 05:21:14 AM »
Let's not resort to violence here and anyways I think that most people wouldn't care. I've been happy to see that manga and anime has become more and more appreciated by people. It's taking much more popularity. However it sucks in a way since most of the crappy anime are getting loved by everyone and thus licensed or reruned and the good ones are overlooked.

Offline Tenchisama

• Budding Addict
  • Dang do I feel Old!
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2005, 01:02:37 PM »
yeah thats true the most blatant example is pokemon :P

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2005, 06:56:38 PM »
I second that!!!

anything