Author Topic: The Last samouraï  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Look me up at #White_base and #Zg-fansubs at Rizon
The Last samouraï
« on: February 01, 2005, 10:32:57 AM »
Is it only me or did the last samouraï could have been the greatest movie hollywood would have done if they hadn't put the American saviour in it.
Now I think you all know to what I am reffering to. I mean how he, Tom cruise, who killed the husband of that japanese woman didn't get killed and all. I may have some trouble expressing myself but I just can't get it. I think that I know enough about samouraï to know that it was a shameless position that their family was in. And nothing happened. Apart from those facts I think that it was a good vision on that period of japanese history. Well feel free to drop any comments, concerning this movie or any other movie that you might think had a much better view in any aspect that the last samourai touches (i know there are a lot but the more the merrier!)

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Offline DR.LOVE

• Slightly Buzzed
  • I wanna love ya baby o'sow bad!
Re: The Last samouraï
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 11:05:55 AM »
I didnt even watch it cause the thought of tom crusie being a Samurai just mad me so ticked >:( . Hes a pansy man , not like TOshiro Mifune man now there was a good Samurai actor , i suggest all of his films. ;D

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 11:13:41 AM »
Well can you tell me some of his films, I mean titles...

I saw Satoïchi too and I thought it was great!

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Offline DR.LOVE

• Slightly Buzzed
  • I wanna love ya baby o'sow bad!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 11:20:16 AM »
To stay on topic i mailed u a list of films , but yeah Tom cruise would be more of the guy to run away from the samurai then to actually play as one

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 11:26:14 AM »
Yes at first I was really surprised that it was him that was doing the acting and all of that. I mean he did train for 6 months with a real Kendo master...
I mean we cannot deprive him of all his hard work. But past his acting, I thought that the way they show you Japan is really amazing! I mean it goes on pretty fast and all but I thought it was really surprising to see that they took that much time to explain simple things as the order of life and other important things to a samourai. (thanks for the list)

Offline JaisBane

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Alpha <3 Penor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 11:47:13 AM »
Zell, "The Last Samurai" is based off an old black and white period flick from japan of the same name.  The same basic things happen, just no crazy westerners in it.  It focuses much more on the transition from feudalism to industrialism and how it affected Japan as a whole.  The story is based off the Satsuma Revolution in 1867 and is a romantization of what was originally a rebellion by a petty samurai who wanted his old life of luxury back and was transformed into a story of a man fighting for the lost honor and dignity of his people during their westernization.  The real funny part about the american version is that the group of people the story was based off of would have killed Tom Cruise on the spot, they were extremely xenophobic and their group consisted of the most violent of the anti-alienists from the Meiji Revolution.  "The Last Samurai" is also a novel, the original film was based of that novel, and I know for a fact that it has been translated into english.  Just make sure you get the original novel and not the book adaptation of the film.
I scoff at your pathetic signatures!

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 12:07:45 PM »
Oh nice thanks a lot! I heard about that but they were just rumors and well thanks for telling me. Of course I was shocked to see that mister american lieutenant was spared because of his combat abilities. Since when a samourai let'S that be?? anyways I'll be sure to get that book and read it. By the way I may be out of topic but this is about samourai so I'll say it still.
Have all of you read Miyamoto Musashi?
you know hmmm La pierre et le sabre and La parfaite lumière?

Sry I know the titles in french only....
But you know I mean everybody knows about Miyamoto Musashi ans there is a Manga on it too I think?..

Waya475

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 03:38:45 PM »
You know a lot about samurai, but you don't even know how to spell it.  Great job.

You guys missed the point of the movie.  As any Japanese student will know, samurai is the plural of samurai.  The movie was about the samurai way of life ending.  Tom Cruise's character was NOT a samurai.  He simply fought along side them.  Now, westerners living amongst the Japanese were not uncommon.  I do remember reading about a real life western man who dressed Japanese and acted Japanese....The story isn't completely without truth to it.  But the thing is, everyone thinks Tom Cruise was samurai, but he really wasn't.

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 05:54:22 PM »
No I didn't missed that point out. But don't you think that in the end wasn't he the last of them?? The last with the same spirit?
I mean I got all of that and I know that samourai is the plural for samourai but Tom Cruise in that movie was the last of the whole lot in the end. I mean he went and gave the final words (kind of) to the emperor..
Anyways..don't you think

Waya475

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 06:48:49 PM »
He was NOT a samurai though.  I could go live with Native Americans and practice there ways, but I would not be a Native American.  All he did was live with them and practice some of their ways for a few months, but he was NEVER samurai.

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 06:59:49 PM »
Lol I think I got that miss but what about the spirit of the samourai passed down upon him don't you have anything to say about that?

cuteflyz89

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 07:00:19 PM »
I never saw this, my mom and sisters are going to have to go to block buster this week or next to rent it.  ;D

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 07:28:08 PM »
la la la skipping posts because i'm lazy...

even though i think this is besides the point of this thread...i'm gonna say it anyway.

i saw this movie without really wanting to, actually. but it was a fucking amazing movie. i was pleasantly surprised. and of course my first reaction to tom cruise starring in a samurai movie was "wtf??" but it was a very decent movie.

me like it much. forgive me for not being on topic if i'm not...

visit my deviant art gallery! http://mutsy.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 07:31:25 PM »
Lol I like your style !
anyways I know I liked it as well the frist time I saw it. But what I like to do is to analyse movies get the pros the cons etc. And I found that a lot of things weren't that good at all...
arggg...english progrm trning offvvsdsaa

Offline Dr. Jinxed

• Clean
  • Boost Whore
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 02:55:53 PM »
I thought it was pretty entertaining despite the glaring flaw about the most powerful samurai being Tom Cruise.

In any case, Jean Reno, would have made a better samurai. =P

anything