Author Topic: Leave Rap Be....  (Read 7039 times)

Offline Bluemantis

• Clean
Leave Rap Be....
« on: January 30, 2005, 10:51:53 PM »
Man this is such a hard topic to speak on since everywhere I look in these forums Rap is being attacked. I am clearly the minority in this, but I have to defend against some of these comments.

This first comment is for those I don’t care about what I have to say because they are too closed minded.
 If you don’t like rap than don’t lessen to it just change the station.  Don’t trash talk about things you don’t understand.  Remember music is apart of someone’s culture and to insult their music is an insult to them. Also the same people that created rap are the same one’s that gave you rock. Think on that for awhile.

I read a question somewhere that said, “…how can you call that music?”  Rap is music and art.  Not just anyone can rap. You do not just rhyme over random beats.  If you lessen or read any of the lyrics to a song, you would be shocked at some of the combinations of words they would use to express an idea. And after writing the words, they have to be executed just right or you would risk sounding like an idiot. Have you ever heard someone who doesn’t lessen to rap try to write a song and than rap it. They sound like an after school special’s nursery rhyme.

To those who lessen to foreign rap. They rap because they liked what they heard and they wanted to emulate the style. To like foreign rap and not like domestic rap is backwards because we are there influence and motivation. Rap is world wide, I didn’t understand that until I entered college and all the foreign students knew every song that was just released before I did.

I personally don’t like old school rap too much, their execution sucked. There is a big difference between young L.L. and current L.L. sounds. Plus there are less “gangsta” rap and more about “bling”.  And with the current audio tech, you can get an amazing blend of sound to remake. If you want a good example of this when lessening to “Hood Rich” by Big Tymers, who would have thought to make a song to an orchestrated remake to Gilligan's Island opening theme. ;)
You must look at all three sides of the coin to see the truth.

Offline Cloud13m

• Slightly Buzzed
Re: Leave Rap Be....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 12:14:52 AM »
I agree Bluemantis. People dis rap for no reason. What about "it feels like a midget is hanging from my necklace" and "half of these bitches who shake it they turn gay." People don't see the greatness that rap has to offer. They are busy listening to crappy bands like Weezer, the killers, the darkness, and other such bands that sing about things not related to pussy poppin'

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 08:11:48 AM »
To those who lessen to foreign rap. They rap because they liked what they heard and they wanted to emulate the style. To like foreign rap and not like domestic rap is backwards because we are there influence and motivation. Rap is world wide, I didn’t understand that until I entered college and all the foreign students knew every song that was just released before I did.

Backwards? How do come up with that word? Somone can easily like something and not its influence. I like some foreign rap because the language flows differently. Besides, most mainstream rappers in the US do rap about "bling"... which is why a lot of it is crap. My opinion of course.

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 05:02:30 PM »
I guess the only band I like that qualifies as rap is Gorillaz. Hmm... Other than that, it's mostly stuff like Cloud said. Maybe you consider Lil Jon to be a musical genius, but I sure don't. You try to make the point that rap can also have meaningful lyrics, but people like Ludacris, Lil Jon and the Ying Yang Twins totally devalidate your point, by rapping about bitches gettin' naked in "da club" all the time. =/

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 07:24:31 PM »
if he's talking about more underground rappers, then i see what he means. like el-p for example. but if he's talking about rappers like the ones you mentioned, then he's... got an interesting point of view.

and yay for gorillaz.

visit my deviant art gallery! http://mutsy.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline Cabbit

• Myuh
  • Addict
  • Eat Carrots
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 08:35:03 PM »
My dislike for rap has absolutely nothing to do with the music. It's true that the musical style is something I don't really care for either, but what makes me instantly turn the station when I here rap is the whole ghetto gansta culture.

I've heard rap that I've liked. I've listened to rap on purpose, and liked it. But not one of those few artists will I ever see in any record store.

Just because something is 'culture' does not mean it should be respected and protected. If a culture's values are to treat women like shit, carry guns, act ignorant and stupid on purpose, then it can and should be discarded, frowned upon, and generally rejected.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 08:39:38 PM by Cabbit »

Offline Bluemantis

• Clean
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 09:21:25 PM »
yeah...ok...NiNe inch nails song "...i want to fuck you like an animal..." got played at my schools high school dance, but "Back that ass up" was considered valgur. What ever!

"it feels like a midget is hanging from my necklace" 

This is from the song "Stand Up" by Ludacris and it is about going to the club.

Watch out for the medallion my diamonds are wreckless
Feels like a MIDGET is hanging from my neckless
I pulled up wit a million trucks
Looking, smelling, feeling like a million bucks-ahh!

All he said is that he and his entourage is going in looking his best.  How is going to go out to a club and look like a bumd.

Just because something is 'culture' does not mean it should be respected and protected. If a culture's values are to treat women like shit, carry guns, act ignorant and stupid on purpose, then it can and should be discarded, frowned upon, and generally rejected.

Yeah...you just described about 200 years of american history. So why does rap has to take a hit for it. Also keep this in mind, Bethoven's music was considered devil music in his time. But we call art.

DMX 's Right Wrong:

"Made me a leader before I was ready to lead
Took away my hunger, but didn't give me greed
Made me successful, when I just wanted to be heard
Give me the light, cause all I need is the word
Give me a life, that I'm responsible for
I'll give him what's right, cause I'm responsible for him
And into the night, I'm gonna be there with him
Facing a fight, I be right there with him
Ready for Heaven, cause I done been through the Hell
And since I was seven, I've had a story to tell
See God is great, and that's why I'm still livin'
He gave to me, so I'ma keep on givin'
The bravery of a man's mind is slavery
Is makin me the man I was made to be
I hate to see when cats know but don't spit it
Right is wrong, when it's on you gon get it"

Opps! The word hell is in this song and it is rap so it must be terrible.

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 09:35:27 PM »
of course it's not only rap that has vulgar lyrics. but it's very well known for it. (along with metal and most rock)

and to elaborate on what i said earlier, it all depends on what rappers we're talking about. if you're talking about lil jon kinda crap, then i could hardly consider those lyrics to be laudable. but just because most rappers suck and write stupid lyrics, that doesn't mean all of them are that way.

everyone is different. this is why i don't really like the idea of genres. they're just as bad as stereotypes.

anyway. i listen to what i like. i don't often care about the lryics, unless it's so obnoxious, rude, and just stupid that i can't even listen to it without being disgusted. which is true for a lot of mainstream rap. but it's not only rap that does this.

just stay open minded and don't constrict yourself to one type of music. and don't let others piss you off when they say that rap isn't art. of course some of it is, but the kind of rap we constantly get exposed to is often just... shitty.

sorry if my post is kinda jumpy. i'm bad at summing up all that i have to say...

visit my deviant art gallery! http://mutsy.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 09:37:04 PM »
yeah...ok...NiNe inch nails song "...i want to fuck you like an animal..." got played at my schools high school dance, but "Back that ass up" was considered valgur. What ever!

Dude... "Back That Ass Up" is just plain awful. If I have to see that video one more time, I'm gonna have to put a cap in someone's ass. <<

DMX 's Right Wrong:

"Made me a leader before I was ready to lead
Took away my hunger, but didn't give me greed
Made me successful, when I just wanted to be heard
Give me the light, cause all I need is the word
Give me a life, that I'm responsible for
I'll give him what's right, cause I'm responsible for him
And into the night, I'm gonna be there with him
Facing a fight, I be right there with him
Ready for Heaven, cause I done been through the Hell
And since I was seven, I've had a story to tell
See God is great, and that's why I'm still livin'
He gave to me, so I'ma keep on givin'
The bravery of a man's mind is slavery
Is makin me the man I was made to be
I hate to see when cats know but don't spit it
Right is wrong, when it's on you gon get it"

Opps! The word hell is in this song and it is rap so it must be terrible.

I don't think anyone mentioned swears being bad in music... most genres contain some. Anyway... its DMX, so it could very well be terrible. I havn't heard it though, so I can't really say.

Offline Cloud13m

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 12:17:32 AM »
It feels like theres a midget hanging from my necklace means he's trying to look his best? Regardless of what he meant it's still (to me) a very stupid (but funny) lyric. If some rapper happened to say something like . . . "I flop on my knob and shit the truck" which happens to mean "I get ready to go to the club" that doesn't mean its good stuff. It's not like other styles of music don't have stupid lyrics but rap has 500x more. I personally am a fan of the Ying Yang Twins, their hilarious antics have brought a smile to my face for over a year now.

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Look me up at #White_base and #Zg-fansubs at Rizon
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 12:03:59 PM »
Woohh!

Listen here Rap and Hip-Hop are totally different styles. Don't go merging everything together. The same thing for Reggea and DanceHall. Look what most people know nowadays isn't Rap Its CRap.

Look all of you Rap lovers. I love Rap and even more Hip-Hop as some of you may know 'Hip-Hop your the love of my life'. A lot of 'well' known artists right now are just guys that talk about whore bitches and etc. JUST LISTEN TO 50 CENT. OMG that guy has no musical talent. Rap music in the USA is now oh look at that guy he looks tough let's make him a singer....

I still remember when snoop and DR.DRE with XZibit did some badazz music. Nothing like it is now.
SNOOP'S new song, drop it like it's blabla it's such CRap.

That's why more and more to listen to some descent Rap and Hip-hop music you have to go underground or artists that their cd's cost you like 24$ a cd. I mean I'm not surprised their good and their not known. For all of you people who dislike rap and Hip-hop try listening to some real artists like.

The unforgettable Aaliyah, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Royce Da 5'9, MOS DEF!!!!! (he rocks), De la soul (they're done), RES, ALICIA KEYS (sooo goood) Trick Daddy ( his lyrics aren't that good but his music listen to the musical arrengement!!!),

MUSIQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (he's an artist)
man I could go on and on I know a lot about music because I love it.

And maybe I'm out of order here but you must see BROWN SUGAR (it's a movie) you'll understand what I mean.

OH OH AND LISTEN TO
I USED TO LOVE HER!!

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Offline Cabbit

• Myuh
  • Addict
  • Eat Carrots
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 12:50:58 PM »
As far as what I described earlier being about 200 years of American 'culture' .. I do feel that those toxic values and heritages should be discarded, American, African American, Middle Eastern, it doesn't matter. My point was that calling something "culture" does not and should not protect it from criticism.

I again point out that there is rap out there that I enjoy, and my distaste is not for the musical style (all styles have crummy artists, usually they are the ones making money), but for the ghetto "I'm being oppressed, let me shoot somebody and screw my ho" culture most of the rappers you hear promote through their music, symbols, and lifestyles.

I say nothing negative about a rapper who doesn't fit the above description.

Offline Bluemantis

• Clean
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 01:05:23 PM »
Dude... "Back That Ass Up" is just plain awful. If I have to see that video one more time, I'm gonna have to put a cap in someone's ass. <<

Dude that is not the point here. Backing that ass up is a way of dancing. how can that be any worse than saying I want to Fuck you like an animal. I am not talking about if you liked one song over the other. "Back that ass up" is a rap and they thought it would be inappropriate. But "I want to fuck you like an animal" got played several times that night.

... its DMX, so it could very well be terrible.

This comment is what keeps me form completely respecting your following quote.

I havn't heard it though, so I can't really say.

You could have lefted it at that. Just for your info though the song, in a nutshell, is about embracing god and he'll give you more but ignor him and you will pay pay for your ignorence.

just stay open minded and don't constrict yourself to one type of music. and don't let others piss you off when they say that rap isn't art.

at first I did let it go. But everytime I visit an forum on an anime site, the music section has a few threads just bashing Rap. Theirs is about 4 links as soon as you open this forum. After awhile I got to say something in defense.

I'm not saying you should like rap, just leave it be. Don't flame everything you don't understand. Just leave it be.

FYI: I never liked Snoop and everytime the Yin Yang twins talk, they sit my people back 100 years.

Offline Cabbit

• Myuh
  • Addict
  • Eat Carrots
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 01:18:40 PM »
That your school played Closer .. several times.. as you say.. and wouldn't play "Back That Ass Up" .. is quite peculiar .. . Edited version of the NiN song?

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Look me up at #White_base and #Zg-fansubs at Rizon
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 07:48:53 PM »
I like DMX but you can't say it isn' true now that there are plenty rappers that only talk shit and that just bash down rap and hip-hop. And then there are all those wannabe's.
Anyways I won't go on or I just 'might' offend someone.

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~