Author Topic: Music's decline  (Read 10599 times)

Offline Motoko-chan

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
    • Motoko's Pagoda
Re: Music's decline
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2005, 07:13:13 PM »
Yes, but they can play acoustic.
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline seorang

• Clean
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2005, 03:33:23 AM »
Does this all really matter? Its music you listen to. Don't like it, turn the damn radio off.

I listen to Linkin Park, Keri Noble, Utada Hikaru, and lots of other stuff that I don't even know fits in what genre or age. To be honest, I don't care. As long as I like it.

True, majority of whatever they're playing on pop radio charts or MTV is crap. So get an iPod, mp3 player, get the tracks you like, and listen to what you like.
Battle doesn't need a purpose.
The battle is its own purpose.
You don't ask why a field burns or a plague spreads.
Don't ask why I fight.

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2005, 04:05:43 PM »
finally, another person that is smart about this...

visit my deviant art gallery! http://mutsy.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline Spike Spiegel

• Addict
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2005, 01:58:34 PM »
I don't worry too much about genres but I know what fits into what genre. I like whatever gets my toe tapping, gets me dancing or my head bobbing. I love music. Who cares if it's digitized? Who cares if the singer can't carry a tune to save his life? In my opinion Conor Oberst can't sing for shit but I love the music that he puts out. If it's good and it makes you feel good listening to it, then; what's the problem? You shouldn't look down your nose at artists/bands that rely on filters just to make their music sound good. I don't necessarily like it (that's why I like to go to live shows) but I don't shun it.

Filippo Inzaghi is da man. Also, Italy is da man. AC Milan is also da man just as equally.

Offline bum

• Addict
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2005, 06:29:04 AM »
Does this all really matter? Its music you listen to. Don't like it, turn the damn radio off.

I listen to Linkin Park, Keri Noble, Utada Hikaru, and lots of other stuff that I don't even know fits in what genre or age. To be honest, I don't care. As long as I like it.

True, majority of whatever they're playing on pop radio charts or MTV is crap. So get an iPod, mp3 player, get the tracks you like, and listen to what you like.

Ditto that. THe last 3 albums I bought we're Awake, by Dream Theatre, Out Their and Back, by Paul Van Dyk and The Opera band, by Amici Forever. 3 albums that are as seperated in terms of music genre's as you can get. point is, if you dont like mainstream music, dont listen to it. Alot of music is released that you'l never hear about on mtv. Look into a genre you havent listened to much and go buy some cd's. And about Buying cd's, buy them. Theirs nothing like buying an album, suporting a good artist and haveing the audio their in full quality, unlike crapy compressed mp3's. If you say you cant notice the difference between an average mp3 and cd audio, you've never tried.

One thing I dont agree with is buying an ipod. Honestly, their are better mp3 players out their. Ones with a battery you can replace yourself, without having to ship the unit off to apple. Ones without stupidly strict protection so you cant transfer files on it through varios pc's like a portable hard disk, which basicaly every other player out their can.

Offline woodsyd

• Accidental Pimp
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Get away ugly
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2005, 01:28:33 PM »
I don't think they were trying to plug ipods.  They were just trying to make their point.  And they did.   I say listen to what ever floats your boat.  If anybody doesn't like it, it's their problem.
crazy kids and their crazy sigs...I dunno about 'em *shakes head*

Offline Zaephr Zentherius

• Clean
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2005, 08:11:35 PM »
yeah, normally its pretty hard to find a good band in MTV or in the radio, myself, i've found most of my favorite bandas by friends(don't know where they got em) and i will say that i just love every one of them:
Dragonforce, Avantasia, Rhasody, Luca Turilli, Iron Maiden, Helloween.
Yes, nothing but metal, just my taste but i've seen many people that listens to rap and that kind of stuff(wich i just barely stand,no offense to rapers) and they accepted all of them to be very good bands in they genre.

Still, if you still don't find anything that actually fires you up, you could google for each genre, until you find the best that suits you
Original name: Zaephyr Zentherius, got screwed up into just being Zaephr, why? for me being a dumbass and writing it ratter quickly and not checking :P

Offline Motoko-chan

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2005, 12:56:25 AM »
One really cool site to find related artists for what you love is liveplasma (http://www.musicplasma.com/). It is also a really cool demo of how Flash can be used for something that modern DHTML wouldn't be able to do (yet).

My other favorite exploration site is Allmusic (http://www.allmusic.com/). They have a huge db (and sell their reviews to Amazon and other stores). Heck, they even have a page on little-known group Dogs Die in Hot Cars. Oh, you do need to register to hear the sound clips, but registration is free and you get tons of extra areas opened to you. Take a look at the "Similar Artists" and "Influenced By" sections for each artist and you might find some other great music.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 12:57:42 AM by Motoko-chan »
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline eminent

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Sexy Commando
    • ozbb
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2005, 04:49:35 PM »
Avantasia
You'd like Edguy, Tobias Sammet's main band. If you want any more power metal recommendations (as that's the only sort of metal I'm even remotely knowledgeable about), feel free to drop me a line.

But in response to the topic starter (didn't read any of this except the last page and the first post), the problem isn't that music has gotten crap, but that the good (in my opinion, anyway) stuff has gotten underground. How many people here have heard of Godspeed You! Black Emperor, or Sigur Rós? I'd bet not many, if any. If all you're exposed to is what corporate radio feeds you, it's really a shame. You're only scratching the surface of music, and if you dig deeper you'll discover great things. It's like searching for gold nuggets in a haystack; it takes effort, but when you find the gold it's a great thing.

(I would also like to say that mainstream != bad, and underground != good)

Oh, has anybody mentioned Audioscrobbler yet? It's a great service. You download their plugin (and it contains no spyware), and listen to music on your computer for a bit, and after it tallies your statistics it gives you recommendations based on your taste. You can also see peoples' profiles with similar taste to you, et cetera.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 04:51:06 PM by eminent »
Forget drugs and alcohol... I am now very, very mellow.

Offline Zaephr Zentherius

• Clean
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2005, 07:07:31 PM »
eminent

yeah, i know about edguy, but i've not listened to it yet, could you recommend me songs/albums?, the best ones you've heard of them   ;D
after i check and if i like them i will get everything else i can on my own =)
Original name: Zaephyr Zentherius, got screwed up into just being Zaephr, why? for me being a dumbass and writing it ratter quickly and not checking :P

Offline Denkogami

• Clean
  • How to live a noble life in the age of insanity
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2005, 01:17:43 PM »
The way I see it, all I need is a hot blond with big tits and ProTools, and I can make millions. A recording contract could be useful, but not necessary, I just have her sleep with someone famous, film it, and "accidentally" leak it on the internet, with all the hype, everyone will be wanting a piece of my blond. The recording contract, fame, and millions will come in time.

Eminent: Thanks for the audioscrobbler suggestion.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 01:19:53 PM by Denkogami »
You could hear all of Eden hold its breath
On this the anniversary of wonder’s death
Unholy occasion what a terrible mess
Oh it's time for a new dress

Offline Jammer

• Slightly Buzzed
  • _crappy overly long series_ HAHA
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2005, 02:27:22 PM »
I tend to take arguments for the innate esthetic superiority of Greek tragedy, with the same grain of salt I reserve for arguments for the innate esthetic superiority of vinyl. It all started with Socrates. Tragedy is essentially pessimistic, representing existence as frightful and humanity as absurd; dialectic was essentially optimistic, postulating connections between cause and consequence, guilt and punishment, virtue and happiness. Socrates optimistically equated knowledge with virtue, and in this atmosphere the tragic hero, stumbling in ignorance, is liable to forfeit our sympathy. Unlike Antigone, Oedipus, and Elektra, the Euripidean hero can amount to no more than what he says. The Tragedy is the highest point in the evolution of music, a complex intellectual synthesis of philosophy, poetry and metre able to arouse emotion and express what would otherwise remain unconscious and ineffable, the Renaissance only an artificial emulation which lead to German Romanticism (Wagner, Bach,  Beethoven) and the seperation of the arts. This is why culture, man's strength and the arts are in such decline. Fuck you Socrates!
As the universe expands, I contemplate whether it was God or the Big Bang that made man...

Offline Denkogami

• Clean
  • How to live a noble life in the age of insanity
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2005, 06:27:42 PM »
While we're at it... Fuck you Aristotle!

As of today, June 23rd, day of the sale of the tickets to Live 8 Canada:

FUCK YOU SCALPERS! MAY YOU ALL ROT IN HELL!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 10:37:33 AM by Denkogami »
You could hear all of Eden hold its breath
On this the anniversary of wonder’s death
Unholy occasion what a terrible mess
Oh it's time for a new dress

Offline eminent

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Sexy Commando
    • ozbb
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2005, 04:16:22 PM »
Live 8 USA is gonna be crap D:
Forget drugs and alcohol... I am now very, very mellow.