Author Topic: Music's decline  (Read 10577 times)

Offline PastThe12thFret

• T3H KIN6 0F KR|_|NK!!1
  • Budding Addict
  • I'm Ben. Stop asking who Ben is.
Re: Music's decline
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2005, 09:39:48 PM »
i agree, he may be the most talented out of the band.  he also uses many abstract scales in his solos without making them sound like random notes.  i challenge you to find an alter bridge solo that follows a pentatonic scale.  you can't.

Offline Spike Spiegel

• Addict
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2005, 08:52:22 AM »
Whatever, I was just voicing my opinion. I personally think that Alterbridge is crap. I hate their music. It just doesn't appeal to me. Sorry, if that offends you. Please; quit getting on my ass about every little thing. Anyways, Razorblade Romance has to be their worst CD in their career. I hate that CD. Try listening to "Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights" or "Love Metal". You'll find that those are alot better than "Razorblade Romance". Well, opinions are like assholes.....everyone has one so wat the hell? Ya' know?

Filippo Inzaghi is da man. Also, Italy is da man. AC Milan is also da man just as equally.

Offline Motoko-chan

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2005, 10:01:40 AM »
I'm not quite sure what would define mainstream anymore... If it is whatever they play on MTV, well, I guess. I haven't actually watched MTV since 2000 or so. I never could get into that whole rap style they were trying to promote.

There are some good things out there if you know where to look. Right now I'm likstening to the new Alison Krauss album (bluegrass) and find it quite nice. Being raised on country music kinda adds an interesting perspective when I examine the other genres I listen to.

I do find myself expanding into electronic music lately. I've been listening to Delerium a lot along with some older Daft Punk, Kraftwerk, Juno Reactor, and even Ladytron.

To me, music isn't something that can have a static definition or an empirical test. If a melody or sound or lyric can evoke an emotion, it has some meaning. Some people might not like Linkin Park, but others might because of the lyrics (I listen to Linkin Park on occasion). Can what Linkin Park makes be called good music? By those who find a connection in the songs, I would think the answer is yes.

My newest CD purchase is a Hootie and the Blowfish compilation, so I guess my opinions don't count. (at least not to those who don't like Hootie). I must say that "Even the Trees" has to be one of the most lyrically sad and beautiful songs I've heard lately.
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline Spike Spiegel

• Addict
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2005, 07:41:37 PM »
Hootie and the Blowfish are great. I've been meaning to buy one of their CD's. I've just never gotten around to it.

Filippo Inzaghi is da man. Also, Italy is da man. AC Milan is also da man just as equally.

Offline Hostile

• Clean
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2005, 10:32:26 AM »
I just look for old stuff to download...

Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, The Tempations, Marvin Gaye, etc. are making their way into my iPod  ;)

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2005, 10:45:43 AM »
Try out these artists too:

• Bill Landford and the Landfordaires
  • Vera Hall
  • Les Elgert
Motoko-chan

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Look me up at #White_base and #Zg-fansubs at Rizon
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2005, 05:24:29 AM »
Nice to see that there are still people that really appreciate some real music Hostile! I'm glad to hear that there are other people there that listen to that great music!

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2005, 05:30:31 AM »
real music eh?

yeah, because what we have now is fake music. right?

visit my deviant art gallery! http://mutsy.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2005, 06:55:40 AM »
Lol cynical it's been a while!
Don't worry I was referring to the crappy music that a lot of adolescent listen to. I don't mean to be cocky or anything but, some music right now is just real crap. Have you ever listened to a song made by Quebec people??
You know it's very well, it's not good....

And I was just happy that some people still remember those nice artist from a little ago. They were great and are still great because they were real artists and did real music.

I hope it is clearer now Monk. If not I'll clear myself out in the next post.

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Offline Hostile

• Clean
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2005, 08:02:55 AM »
I don't go bitching about how raps crap or anything like that. I like what I like and that's all.

My only problem is I only like listening to black men for some reason...

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2005, 08:36:54 AM »
Lol cynical it's been a while!
...Have you ever listened to a song made by Quebec people??
You know it's very well, it's not good....

Just people from Quebec, or Canada in general? Lots of good artists have come from Canada, as have lots of bad artists. I'd say that applies to just about everywhere.

I personally consider music to be fake when the artists need electronics to make their music 'good'. If they can't sing acapella or play acoustic, then they really aren't good artists. I'll pass on the lip-sync, thanks. Some genres are better for my test than others. I really can't see any major RATM song played acoustic, but they also don't use electronics to manipulate their music.

*wonders what RATM would sound like acoustic*
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 08:38:48 AM by Motoko-chan »
Motoko-chan

Personal Links:

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2005, 02:58:14 PM »
i disagree. using electronics doesn't make music "fake", and it doesn't mean someone has no talent either. i'd like to see you make a decent song with electronics. not everyone can do it... it actually requires musical talent.

the same goes for art actually. many people do digital paintings, and many still do traditional. but there is no difference in talent between these categories.

try listening to a band called "stars" (they're from canada too, actually) i don't know if they'll be your style, but they're a good example of a band that uses electronics and still have a lot of talent to make the music sound good.

anyways. i agree with hostile on this. i like what i like and that's all i care about. i'm not into the whole genre thing but... sometimes you just can't get away from it.

visit my deviant art gallery! http://mutsy.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2005, 04:28:23 PM »
I only know about quebec here motoko-chan, and I agree with you about the fact that if they cant sing acapella they can't sing but they can be artists as well...

Offline Motoko-chan

• Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2005, 05:58:42 PM »
i disagree. using electronics doesn't make music "fake", and it doesn't mean someone has no talent either. i'd like to see you make a decent song with electronics. not everyone can do it... it actually requires musical talent

I think I meant more of a dependency on filters and such to make the music work. I have enough genres I listen to that I can tell Kraftwerk, Daft Punk, etc have quite a bit of talent. I was more referring to some of the pop acts where there is that dependence where there really shouldn't be. As an enhancement? Sure, that's fine. Encouraged even (Dido uses electronics successfully, but then she has Rollo mixing).  As a necessity? That speaks of something lacking (Dido does quite well acapella, from the concert tracks I've heard).
Motoko-chan

Personal Links:

Offline JaisBane

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Alpha <3 Penor
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2005, 06:31:11 PM »
RATM is the kind of band relies on "misusing" electrical and digital effects equipment in order to produce unique sounds.  Let's take the solo from "Bulls On Parade" where it sounds like a dj scratching.  What he's doing there is he's turned the volume on one of his pickups off and while he's scratching the strings with his fingernails he flips the selector switch back and forth which acts like a kill switch.  That's something that's impossible to do with an acoustic because it's made by taking advantage of the limitations of an electric guitar.  There are songs of ratm's that can be played completely acoustic, like "Killing in the Name", but most would lose their power and impact in the cross-over. *EDIT* Forget what I wrote about the allen wrench before, he uses it instead of a pick (he does this on "People of the Sun") and it's impossible to hear without an electric >_<  I still use the allen wrench as a slide, though =/

Oh, and I believe the term you're looking for is digitized, not electronic. 

« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 08:24:26 PM by JaisBane »
I scoff at your pathetic signatures!