Author Topic: Music's decline  (Read 10576 times)

cuteflyz89

Re: Music's decline
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 07:34:04 PM »
This is something I've noticed. Music in general has gotten shittier and less .....musical over the years, I mean what happened to the days when you had to be good to get anywhere in the music business.  These days most mainstream music is just manufactured shit.
yeah, i noticed.

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 09:12:12 AM »
Yes most of the mainstream stuff are pieces of crap but some of those mainstream music actually as grown on me, possibly for some of you too, it just took a while.

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 02:54:59 PM »
i'd rather just listen to what i like, not let it grow on me. sure i listen to some mainstream stuff, but i don't even listen to the radio that much so i don't even know what a lot of mainstream stuff is like.

the stations i listen to, given the rare occasion that i decide to listen to the radio, either play older music or the good mainstream stuff.

i discover new (usually pretty unknown) bands by listening to internet radio. usually the indie stations.

visit my deviant art gallery! http://mutsy.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2005, 05:20:12 PM »
I would have to agree with this thread, though. Nowadays there's not a damn good thing in the mainstream world, except Modest Mouse. But back in the day, at least they had smashing pumpkins and pearl jam. The other bands listed, I don't like, however.
But today it's all crap. Evenescence, Linkin Park, Shinedown... I guess you can't blame the people who listen to it, though. They listen to whatever clear channel picks for them. Want something better, you have to find it yourself. INDIE MUSAKS.

Yeah, I'd say I totally agree with you. But also, it might just be because I haven't listened to the radio much in the last few years.  I agree with you about Modest Mouse, but, the only reason I even found out about them is because they were on Saturday Night Live a few months ago, heh...

I get the feeling that there are good new bands out there, but I just don't know about them cause I never listen to the radio or anything. But maybe I'm wrong. =/

Offline PastThe12thFret

• T3H KIN6 0F KR|_|NK!!1
  • Budding Addict
  • I'm Ben. Stop asking who Ben is.
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2005, 06:43:52 AM »
i think you'd like dream theater.

oh yeah woodsy, you definitely gotta listen to dream theater.  they're great.  john petrucci, their guitar player, is amazing.  he's from long island AND he went to berklee.  that damn good.

Offline woodsyd

• Accidental Pimp
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Get away ugly
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 02:49:57 PM »
yeah dude i'll deffinately be checking that out now that i have broadband back ^_^
crazy kids and their crazy sigs...I dunno about 'em *shakes head*

Offline Cabbit

• Myuh
  • Addict
  • Eat Carrots
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 08:12:35 PM »
I've been trying to broaden my music habits lately.

I've been making a point to listen to music I don't like to try and find value there.. not much luck so far.

My last few CDs I've bought, not part of this trend:

Karmakanic: Entering the Spectra and Wheel of Life

I recommend Entering the Spectra to anybody.

Also recently I bought OSI: Office of Strategic Influence, Spock's Beard: Beware of Darkness

It seems as I try to broaden myself, I also get more obsessed with prog rock ^~

Offline Spike Spiegel

• Addict
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2005, 05:51:36 PM »
It's just my opinion here; but how can you complain about when you listen to bands like Alterbridge. Sorry, I just don't like their music. ;)

Filippo Inzaghi is da man. Also, Italy is da man. AC Milan is also da man just as equally.

Offline woodsyd

• Accidental Pimp
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Get away ugly
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2005, 04:11:01 PM »
I'll listen to pretty much anything and, uh.....your taste in music sucks.  Now that's just my oppinion just by looking at your sig.  Sorry, I just don't like HIM's shittyness.  ;)
crazy kids and their crazy sigs...I dunno about 'em *shakes head*

Offline Spike Spiegel

• Addict
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2005, 07:46:55 PM »
Yet you listen to them? And don't get all pissy with me, dude. I was just asking a simple question.

Filippo Inzaghi is da man. Also, Italy is da man. AC Milan is also da man just as equally.

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2005, 07:49:41 PM »
come on now guys, we should know by now that this is all a matter of opinion and no one is right. one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Offline Spike Spiegel

• Addict
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2005, 07:57:11 PM »
Yet again, you're right. But I still don't get how he can say that he hates HIM when he listens to it. I'm a little puzzled by that one. :-\

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2005, 08:42:19 PM »
well, i think it was a cover song he was listening to anyway. and he made a face like he wasn't enjoying it entirely.

Offline PastThe12thFret

• T3H KIN6 0F KR|_|NK!!1
  • Budding Addict
  • I'm Ben. Stop asking who Ben is.
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2005, 08:09:41 PM »
It's just my opinion here; but how can you complain about when you listen to bands like Alterbridge.

i have news for you - i own 1 alter bridge cd (one day remains) and one HIM cd (razorblade romance) and i can tell you right now as a musician that alter bridge is much much more musically talented, period.  i could get into a million reasons through music theory that prove this (like how HIM's music follow no pattern at all - you can tell they just played random stuff until they thought it sounded good, and alter bridge tends to use mixolydian and dorian modes), but i won't get into that.  it's impossible for me to say which band is better because that's a matter of opinion like nikki said, but i can prove to you that alter bridge has more musical talent than HIM.

Waya475

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2005, 08:41:25 PM »
I have to say, Mark Tremonti (Alterbridge's guitarist) is awesome.  I love his style.  He is VERY skilled and all his notes sound very clear and precise.