Author Topic: Music's decline  (Read 10600 times)

Offline woodsyd

• Accidental Pimp
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Get away ugly
Music's decline
« on: January 14, 2005, 08:39:55 PM »
This is something I've noticed. Music in general has gotten shittier and less .....musical over the years, I mean what happened to the days when you had to be good to get anywhere in the music business.  These days most mainstream music is just manufactured shit.
crazy kids and their crazy sigs...I dunno about 'em *shakes head*

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
Re: Music's decline
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 02:13:12 AM »
you just have to look harder to find the good stuff. of course mainstream stuff is mostly crappy because people like cheap entertainment these days... but if you actually try to find the "real" music, you won't be disappointed. i can say that none of the music i listen to is "less musical" or "shitty".

keep in mind that mainstream is focused towards the general audience. and the general audience tends to not know a thing about what real music or entertainment is.

visit my deviant art gallery! http://mutsy.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline woodsyd

• Accidental Pimp
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Get away ugly
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 12:40:34 PM »
I'm not saying that good stuff isn't out there anymore I'm just saying that the general audience listens to shittier music. take pop for example now a days pop is again manufactured shit like Britany Spears, boy bands ect. while back in my parents days popular music was stuff like Def Leppard, Journey, Foreigner Aerosmith, Ozzy, Micheal Jackson the list goes on and on.

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 12:43:57 PM »
yeah, but personally i don't think that stuff was that great either. at least, out of what you listed.

many could argue that there is music that is more "musical" than it was back in those days.

but with the coming of this age of technology, most people don't do the authentic stuff any more. which is sad. reminds me of this old lady who told me i should do digital photography instead of manual photography once...

Offline woodsyd

• Accidental Pimp
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Get away ugly
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 01:15:51 PM »
many could argue that there is music that is more "musical" than it was back in those days.

How would you argue that?

but with the coming of this age of technology, most people don't do the authentic stuff any more. which is sad.

yes it's very sad and i hope that trend ends some time in the near future......not that it will >_<

yeah, but personally i don't think that stuff was that great either. at least, out of what you listed.

-_- Def Leppard is sweetness as is Ozzy and Michael Jackson was pimp back in the day. But yeah I did seem not to mention (the great) Guns n' Roses, Van Halen, Van Halen with Sammy Hagar, Led Zeplin, and (not in my parents generation) Metalica, Nirvana,
Pearl Jam...... eh I'm getting too lazy to mention more and i bet it's not very exciting to read a bunch of band names anyway so, i'll stop.

Offline zeta

• Empress Of California
  • Addict
  • I'm alive!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 01:55:31 PM »
Lemme put it this way...

• Every generation there are ton of crappy bands and a couple good ones.
  • We remember the good bands and listen to them.
  • We listen to todays music and think the older stuff was on the whole better then todays.
  • This is because...
  • We forget the crappy old bands, and think music was better.
  • When in fact...
  • Times and styles change, quality doesn't!
Hello!

Offline woodsyd

• Accidental Pimp
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Get away ugly
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 02:06:03 PM »
well put.......but I can't think of any new bands that were as good as some of the ones i've mentioned  :-\ *tries hard to think*

Offline zeta

• Empress Of California
  • Addict
  • I'm alive!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 02:44:29 PM »
*cough*FRANZ FERDINAND/THE KILLERS/KAISER CHIEFS*cough*
Hello!

Offline woodsyd

• Accidental Pimp
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Get away ugly
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 02:56:06 PM »
hrmm...... well maybe that's why. I've never heard of them.....well actualy Franz Ferdinand sounds familiar. I'd check them out right now if I had broadband.
*glares at mom*

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 11:40:12 PM »
eh, to be honest, i don't really like anything that you've listed a whole lot. pearl jam is the only one i kinda like out of the mentioned groups... we just have different taste in music.

music seems more musical these days if you hear the right music... i guess. i don't mean mainstream stuff though. ever hear of sigur rós? they are very musical... and i'd say more than those silly classic rock bands. that's just one example.

i think you'd like dream theater.

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 08:13:15 PM »
woodsyd: your problem is that you're listening to shitty music.  Naturally the music you're listening to sounds like shit if your taste in music is shit.

Go listen to some trance, like Tiesto, Svenson & Gielen, Blank & Jones, etc.

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 07:23:49 AM »
Techno is good for certain places/times/DDR I guess, but I wouldn't really consider it to be good music.  :P

Offline Noose

• Budding Addict
  • : D
    • The Gutter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 08:28:23 AM »
I don't know about Kaiser Chiefs, but the thing about the other two bands, is that they get big by going with the trend and trying to sound like another generation. New-retro bands piss me off.

I would have to agree with this thread, though. Nowadays there's not a damn good thing in the mainstream world, except Modest Mouse. But back in the day, at least they had smashing pumpkins and pearl jam. The other bands listed, I don't like, however.
But today it's all crap. Evenescence, Linkin Park, Shinedown... I guess you can't blame the people who listen to it, though. They listen to whatever clear channel picks for them. Want something better, you have to find it yourself. INDIE MUSAKS.

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 10:51:02 AM »
amen to that!

Offline woodsyd

• Accidental Pimp
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Get away ugly
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 04:23:31 PM »
I don't know about Kaiser Chiefs, but the thing about the other two bands, is that they get big by going with the trend and trying to sound like another generation. New-retro bands piss me off.

I would have to agree with this thread, though. Nowadays there's not a damn good thing in the mainstream world, except Modest Mouse. But back in the day, at least they had smashing pumpkins and pearl jam. The other bands listed, I don't like, however.
But today it's all crap. Evenescence, Linkin Park, Shinedown... I guess you can't blame the people who listen to it, though. They listen to whatever clear channel picks for them. Want something better, you have to find it yourself. INDIE MUSAKS.
*puts fist in the air*
those were just some examples btw personally i don't really like journey or foriener that much my dad or something just said it when i was posting. I feel the same way for rap though it to has gone down the drain. *nods*

anything