Author Topic: Gundam F91  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
Gundam F91
« on: January 03, 2005, 08:25:03 PM »
I finally got it for Christmas... I made a promise to myself long ago that I would stick to official releases for the Gundam movies, so I had to wait all of these years to see it (I even have the official G-Saviour). Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool, but I'll have to watch it a few more times to really take everything in, typical of a Gundam movie... more so since its the only one (besides G-Saviour) that has all brand new characters and plot (even though it IS UC).

So yeah, anyone else see it yet? Now all that's left is Turn 'A' and Victory...

Offline JaisBane

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Alpha <3 Penor
Re: Gundam F91
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 08:59:34 AM »
I've seen it, it's a fun movie with a cool gundam.  The plot runs by very fast so it's difficult to absorb everything, especially how the plot is relatively independent from the rest of UC.  Still, great animation and battle scenes, I just had a little trouble connecting with the main characters.  CCA is still my favorite Gundam movie, but this one is good too. 

As for Turn A Gundam and Victory, you aren't really missing anything by not seeing them.  As a hardcore gundam fan you may feel the urge to do so, but you'll just be in for a world of pain and frustration once you do watch them.  What I'm waiting for are the Zeta Gundam dvds and movies, that will be awesome.
I scoff at your pathetic signatures!

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 05:22:13 PM »
Well the Zeta DVDs are out (I can't wait to get them, even though I already have the bootlegs)... and of course I need to see Turn A and Victory, I don't make judments until I see it, especially when it comes to Gundam. ^^;; So many people hate ZZ, but I love it. *shrug* So I have hope.

And indeed, F91 was a lot to take in, more of a reason to watch it a few more times this month.

As for the Zeta Gundam movies, I think everyone is waiting for them. :)

Offline Kairu de Large

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 06:07:11 PM »
Well I finally found it in a store today after it being no where to be found since it's release, I didn't get it for christmas for that reason. Anyway, like judau, I find it asanine to settle for poor quality bootlegs just to watch a 2 hour movie so I always buy the Region 1 release of the films.

I liked it quite a bit, but it seemed like it all flew by so quickly. It was originally supposed to be a 52 episode series, but due to unknown causes was slimmed down to a movie so that can explain why so much story and character development was squished together. Several things still puzzle me because of the fast pace, so I'll need to watch it a few more times(not a problem though, I've watched CCA several times already). And was it me or did I hear the Imperial March theme from Star Wars at one point? Very strange indeed, I wasn't bothered by it(made me grin actually), but it reminded me that I have to buy the Star Wars Trilogy DVD's. ^^; One thing I noticed about the movie was that it was a lot more gruesome with civilian casualties, and a lot more children died than I was used to.
But I guess that shows the "horrors of war" theme Gundam boasts to be even more truthful.

Another good thing that came from seeing this is that I finally can read the Crossbone Gundam manga and truly appreciate it.

That's all I guess *starts checking out the special features on his dvd rom*.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 05:35:33 PM by Kairu de Large »

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 08:51:48 PM »
I liked it quite a bit, but it seemed like it all flew by so quickly.

Yeah, I noticed that too, I'm planning on just watching it a few more times pretty soon to get it to sink in.

And was it me or did I hear the Imperial March theme from Star Wars at one point? Very strange indeed, I wasn't bothered by it(made me grin actually)

Haha, yeah, I definitely heard that, and it was a few times during the movie... that song is drilled so far into my head, I noticed with the first 4 notes (feels like Name That Tune).

Hah, watch the commentary, one of the producers (I guess he's from India or Western Asia... not sure) is absolutely stupid. But, they have the voice of the original Rick Hunter there too, so it was partially interesting due to that. Just be ready to lose some brain cells. ;)

Offline Kairu de Large

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 11:56:25 AM »

Hah, watch the commentary, one of the producers (I guess he's from India or Western Asia... not sure) is absolutely stupid. But, they have the voice of the original Rick Hunter there too, so it was partially interesting due to that. Just be ready to lose some brain cells. ;)

Haha, that was pretty entertaining, although I wished it wasn't the dub of the movie with the commentary track(you could barely hear it anyway so it doesn't matter really).

Well since I sapped the DVD of all it's features guess all there is to do is watch the movie a couple of times. Now all I have to watch is Gundam ZZ and V Gundam and I will have completed UC (not counting G-Saviour which I suppose I'll have to watch at some point), then it's on to the few AU series I didn't see and then no more Gundam.

Although a lot of people believe Turn a Gundam is part of the UC storyline, it's included in a lot of UC timelines I have seen as well. I know that the Kapool and Zaku II(I believe the explanation is that they found them buried and are from long ago) are in it and that it's a Tomino series, but it's probably just fan speculation. Well whatever it is, I'll have to see it someday.

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 11:59:39 PM »
Although a lot of people believe Turn a Gundam is part of the UC storyline, it's included in a lot of UC timelines I have seen as well. I know that the Kapool and Zaku II(I believe the explanation is that they found them buried and are from long ago) are in it and that it's a Tomino series, but it's probably just fan speculation. Well whatever it is, I'll have to see it someday.

Basically, what I have heard about Turn 'A' is that it combines all of the other series together into one timeline, UC and AU combined. I still have to see it, I'm downloading what's been fansubbed now from Anime Suki...

Offline Kairu de Large

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 11:14:35 PM »
Hmm...interesting, perhaps I will research more tonight. I saw the first 5 episodes about 2 years ago, it seemed to be a good series from what I was able to see. However it will be at least a year before I see that series, I need to watch ZZ, V, X, then I can finally get to Turn A...I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 08:00:49 AM »
I watched the first 3 eps and it seems awesome... You just can't watch it expecting a normal Gundam series. Expect a pretty cool anime that's a mixture of stuff... it felt like Gundam, Macross, Ghibli, and a few other things rolled into one... which was pretty cool. I can't wait to see the rest. :)

Offline Kairu de Large

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 09:05:03 AM »
I watched the first 3 eps and it seems awesome... You just can't watch it expecting a normal Gundam series. Expect a pretty cool anime that's a mixture of stuff... it felt like Gundam, Macross, Ghibli, and a few other things rolled into one... which was pretty cool. I can't wait to see the rest. :)

I agree, I saw it cheap once and almost bought it to have a break from UC(long story short I lost the auction at the last minute by about 50 cents), but I wasn't that bothered because I really want to see Gundam ZZ. I might hold off V Gundam after I've seen that and check out Turn A, then see V later. Because in all honesty Turn A seems much more interesting than V. Plus the thought of watching the final UC series is depressing...

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 12:42:26 PM »
Yeah, but considering Turn 'A' was Tomino's last Gundam series to date (besides a little work on SEED, not sure if he is helping with Destiny), and everyone says you can basically link it with all others (obviously minus SEED and Destiny) and is the end of everything... I would almost consider that the end of UC, rather than Victory. Plus, much like F91, I doubt Victory has too much to do with the rest of the UC timeline and is really just an AU that has much of what makes a UC series intact. After watching the first 7 eps of Turn 'A', I have already overlooked how weird the design is and want to try and find the old 1/100 of it... since I doubt they'll be talking MG for quite some time when it comes to that particular series... ^^;; But I love it, and I will go and watch more right now. Yay for fansubs. :)

Offline Kairu de Large

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 05:01:08 PM »
Yeah, the only aspects of F91 that made it seem like it was a UC series(it was easy to forget I was watching something UC at all) were the Feddys, the Jegans, and the Zaku II and Gelgoog in that museum. And from what I have read the EF is barely in V at all, it's something called the League Militaire(described as being similar to the A.E.U.G.) against the Zanscare Empire.

As for the Turn A's design, it had a certain charm(not to mention being unique amongst Gundams) that I personally found most appealing. I myself would also like to get the 1/100, I remember a few years ago I almost bought the MSIA in a comic book store but it was badly over priced. But after remembering how much fun I had with acually building Mobile Suits, rather than open them and shelve them, I decided that models are worth the extra money and time. Besides, my MSIA out number my models by a lot and I was never really happy about that.

And I just might start downloading Turn A, since now that I have caught up with Destiny I have nothing to watch most of the week.  :(

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 09:48:11 PM »
Yeah, I hope that group keeps subbing past 21... I'm getting Victory too, for  whenever I have time. And I never really looked too much into the Turn 'A's design, but after watching enough... you definitely are right. There is just something so cool about the series that is hard to pinpoint...