Author Topic: FFIX  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Aoshi101

• Straight Jackets are the way of life
  • Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
  • I'll work this team like dogs!
    • Honoo Shinobi Shrine
FFIX
« on: December 09, 2004, 02:06:15 PM »
Finally got around to playing the game. Easy game, the whole game is shorter than FF7 first disc. The only thing I haven't done is beat Ozma. That is the only real challenge in the entire game. All in all the game is alright. Not bad but not good either. The music was great though as always.

Temp sig set from a long time ago, only until I get around to making a new one. Been ages.

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
Re: FFIX
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 02:57:28 PM »
Easy game, the whole game is shorter than FF7 first disc.

That's definitely not true. <_<;; And also, the first disc of FFVII was way longer than the other discs. =p

Anyway... FFIX is one of my favorites. Great story, pretty good gameplay.

Offline Yukio

• Addict
  • Do we dare fight against fate? Or do we live on?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 07:19:15 PM »
This game is on my favorite top three Final Fantasy game list. Final Fantasy 8 was better but I rather liked the animation to FF9 since looking at serious animation for so long gets boring so FF9 is a nice break from it.

Offline VW_Kidd

• Japan Bound
  • Addict
  • ...dakara...
    • Chained Bishounen
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 01:35:45 PM »
Final Fantasy IX is the second best FF game, only to FFVII.  Not only because of gameplay and storyline but because it has Kuja.  Blessed Kuja...
My Myspace

Join Gaia today and tell them VW_Kid referred you.

Offline Steven

• Resident Igo Enthusiast
  • Addict
  • What her outstretched hand embodies is...
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 01:37:09 PM »
The lead villian was a bit too feminine for my tastes.. but it had an excellent musical score...  I'd say it's average...

Offline JaisBane

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Alpha <3 Penor
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 09:17:36 PM »
FFIX is my favorite.  It deftly combines excellent gameplay, top notch graphics, wonderfully developed characters, and a moving, satisfying storyline.  I love FFVII, but the ending is unfulfilling and the battle system is weaker than FF8 or 9 in retrospect.  FF8 was brilliant, but the story was far too angsty and despite how much I enjoyed the battle system; the random battles got very repetitive and some of the boss battles were absurdly difficult (*cough* Omega Weapon *cough*).  Still, I found the ending very satisfying and it made the entire game worthwhile (plus the cardgame kicked ass).  I still love playing FF6, but after playing its successors the game seems to be missing something (which could just be absurd amounts of sidequests).  I greatly enjoyed FFX, but I found Tidus to be profoundly frustrating (though not nearly as much as Squall).  Also the sphere grid was far too linear in its progression and didn't feel as deep as some of the others.  As for the ending...that's possibly the stupidest ff ending of all and it rather soured my impression of the game despite how much I loved blitzball.  FFX-2 is right up there with 9 for me, but I don't consider it ff canon so I don't typically include it in game comparisons.  Still, every single part of that game that caused my friends to scorn it caused me to love it.  The game can be construed as either a loving parody of ff or an insult to the series, but to me it was just plain fun.  I almost bought the Twin Bee controllers for the International version, but my lack of funds and a desire to eat caused me to re-evaluate their worth.  It's one of those rare items that causes me to go into a fanboy frenzy, a dark side of me that I try very hard to repress normally.  As for FFXI, I hate mmorpgs, they bore the hell out of me, I'll stick with my tactical rpgs.  Thumbs up to Nippon Ichi.
I scoff at your pathetic signatures!

Offline Roots

• Clean
  • Searching for wings...
    • My personal homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 10:17:23 PM »
FFIX was average IMO. It was fun, but it didn't have anything that really stood out for me. Chocobo Hot and Cold was a cool mini-game, though sometimes I got pissed trying to find all those hidden treasures. The card game was worthless IMO. Unlike in FFVIII, you don't gain anything by playing the card game except for....more cards! I thought the bosses were pretty hard (especially Ozma and the final boss). I don't know what you were smoking Jais, all the FFVIII bosses (including UltimaWeapon) were easy.

Instead of typing up my FF obiturary like someone did above ::), I will post my FF preference list, from the SNES series onwards:

FFVI > FFVIII > FFIV > FFVII > FFIX > FFX > FFV

(haven't played FFXI, for fear of losing my soul to the world of MMORPGs)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hero of Allacrost - http://www.allacrost.org
  A free SNES-era RPG in development
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 10:23:08 PM »
FFIX was average IMO. It was fun, but it didn't have anything that really stood out for me. Chocobo Hot and Cold was a cool mini-game, though sometimes I got pissed trying to find all those hidden treasures. The card game was worthless IMO. Unlike in FFVIII, you don't gain anything by playing the card game except for....more cards! I thought the bosses were pretty hard (especially Ozma and the final boss).

Yeah, I agree with you about the card game. But, I don't think Trance Kuja and Necron were very hard.... >_> The music that plays in the Trance Kuja fight is sooo awesome though, heh.

(haven't played FFXI, for fear of losing my soul to the world of MMORPGs)

Yeah, you're making the right choice. Although, it would be fun to play FFXI with you.  :P

Offline JaisBane

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Alpha <3 Penor
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 10:37:29 PM »
Necron is the easiest final boss.  He's freakin undead, just cast full-heal on him and you're done.  Now, the secret boss you get to fight once you fix the mognet, that guy is hard.  Also, the card game was fun but incomprehensible.  I never lost a game, though.  Oh, I think that what makes FF9 stand out so much in my mind is that I renamed Garnet to BOOBIES.  So whenever Steiner would mention her name he'd be like "BOOBIES!!!!" and jump up and down.  It was absolutely hilarious.  I would say that the hardest boss battle I've had to fight in ff was when you fight your Aeons at the end of FFX.  I had maxed out all of my aeons' stats and so I just got raped trying to fight them.  Freakin anima would breathe and deal 10,000 damage.  Yeah, so I loaded a save I had before I went nuts and completed everything in the game so that I could actually beat it.  Also, Arc was the most useless summon ever.  By the time I got him Bahamut was already doing max damage and his animation was half as long with less mp cost, so arc got put on the back burner.  I hope they bring back the dress sphere system, that was teh awesome.

Offline Steven

• Addict
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 08:42:46 AM »
My little bro named Grievier from FF8 "Band-aid".  It made him giggle in the final scene to hear ultimecia say : "Band-aid...make them bleed"

FFX was a rarity in that the final boss was as hard as you wanted to make it.  I never cared for using summon magic, which saved me a lot of trouble. ;D

Has any information of FFXII's battle system been released yet?

Offline JaisBane

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Alpha <3 Penor
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 08:55:18 AM »
From what was shown at E3 it looked very similar to FFXI in that you control the main character, and then the other two are computer controlled and are off doing their own thing.  What I heard of it did not sound very engaging, or very tactical so I feel kind of iffy about it, but then again the director did do FFTactics and Vagrant Story so I still have hope.

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 08:58:35 AM »
Necron is the easiest final boss.  He's freakin undead, just cast full-heal on him and you're done.  Now, the secret boss you get to fight once you fix the mognet, that guy is hard.  Also, the card game was fun but incomprehensible.  I never lost a game, though.  Oh, I think that what makes FF9 stand out so much in my mind is that I renamed Garnet to BOOBIES.  So whenever Steiner would mention her name he'd be like "BOOBIES!!!!" and jump up and down.  It was absolutely hilarious.  I would say that the hardest boss battle I've had to fight in ff was when you fight your Aeons at the end of FFX.  I had maxed out all of my aeons' stats and so I just got raped trying to fight them.  Freakin anima would breathe and deal 10,000 damage.  Yeah, so I loaded a save I had before I went nuts and completed everything in the game so that I could actually beat it.  Also, Arc was the most useless summon ever.  By the time I got him Bahamut was already doing max damage and his animation was half as long with less mp cost, so arc got put on the back burner.  I hope they bring back the dress sphere system, that was teh awesome.

Eh, maybe I'm just being ignorant here, because personally, I beat the game and then went back and made my characters stronger... But, if you maxed all your stuff out, shouldn't your characters be able to kill all your Aeons in 1 hit, assuming you got Break Damage Limit and all that good stuff?

I think FFX had the absolute worst boss fight. >_< Yuu Yevon was a joke, Jeckt was really easy, and from my experience, the Aeons were super-easy too.

From what was shown at E3 it looked very similar to FFXI in that you control the main character, and then the other two are computer controlled and are off doing their own thing.  What I heard of it did not sound very engaging, or very tactical so I feel kind of iffy about it, but then again the director did do FFTactics and Vagrant Story so I still have hope.

Yeah... I'm skeptical about it, but I bet it'll turn out great.

Offline Steven

• Addict
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 09:02:48 AM »

Are the battles on a sepreate screen or are they seamlessy inserted into the game like Kingdom Hearts?

It sounds similar to how they handled star ocean.

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 09:03:38 AM »
Are the battles on a sepreate screen or are they seamlessy inserted into the game like Kingdom Hearts?

They're like Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy XI.

Offline Steven

• Addict
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 09:14:15 AM »
I see.

sorry about asking the same question twice, but I'd never seen FFXI...

anything