Author Topic: Scan Quality  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Geh

• Clean
Scan Quality
« on: November 28, 2004, 10:14:27 AM »
Hello,

I was happy to see that someone picked up SR after mangainc stopped, cool to see that it will continue to be translated.  The translation is good, but I can't help but feel the Yanime SR scan quality is noticeably poorer than both mangainc and Faust's (one man scanslation for ch 71 and 72) scans.  The size is too small and if you compare the scans you will notice the Yanime ones have lost detail in shading (perhaps contrast was cranked too high in editing?).  I hope the scan quality will get better in later releases, the trans is great and I love this manga  ;D

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
Re: Scan Quality
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 02:05:48 PM »
1100 height is standard in the scanslation business.

if you have high quality scans, then, by all means, provide us with them.

also, i believe our editing job is at a higher level than manga inc and faust... who, for the most part, don't bother with clonestamping certain out of bubble text and sfx's.

Offline Geh

• Clean
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 05:40:10 AM »
True enough about the editing (clonestamping etc) and on second thought the size is ok, but does anyone notice the areas with shading and patterns seem a bit washed out?  Well guess it can't be helped if there is no access to the originals, thought that it might have been someone in Yanime who scanned the raws.  If it is scanned by Yanime maybe its the compression (altho I don't think most people apply png optomization? usually only see that mentioned in camera software reviews).  I probably shouldn't even try to guess given that I don't work with any graphics software.

Wish I could help out directly, but I can't buy manga where I am and the only other source I've seen are raws on Hongfire.  I don't know what the deal would be in using these, but I'll take a look and see if they are good.

Edit: well it seems the ones on hongfire are past ch 104, and they aren't very good.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 06:45:04 AM by Geh »

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 08:44:37 AM »
we're using the tank scans found on winny... so it's scanned by some japanese guy and not a staff of yanime  :P

Offline Roots

• Clean
  • Searching for wings...
    • My personal homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 09:18:04 AM »
the trans is great and I love this manga  ;D

You're welcome ;D
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hero of Allacrost - http://www.allacrost.org
  A free SNES-era RPG in development
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline ChronoReverse

• Clean
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 03:18:07 PM »
I find that although the scans are much cleaner (and the type-setting is great), it appears that someone was a bit too liberal on the levels and cleanup.  However, it's really not a major thing (and frankly, without a point of comparison, it's very good).

Size-wise it's fine.  I seen scans where people tried to enlarge them and it just isn't good.

Offline DarknessFox

• Clean
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 09:35:53 AM »
i downloaded the 1st volume of it and i can barely make out osme of the words....but for the most part its fine ^_^

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 12:57:11 PM »
if you find a better way to jam the 2132138912392183 words that the mangaka squeezes into his bubbles, let me know.

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 01:08:09 PM »
if you find a better way to jam the 2132138912392183 words that the mangaka squeezes into his bubbles, let me know.

Well, we could create a new language thats more efficient. =/

Offline shinaku

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 04:36:19 PM »
Well I've been doing some of the more recent edits (anything prior to Dec 9...not mine), so if you have issues with them, then let me know so I can correct them.  Though I do think that the ones release are just fine.  The text placement can be tough, I'll admit, but thats what happens when you convert vertical paragraphs to horrizontal fomat. 

anything