Author Topic: Nyaa Nyaa vs Meow Meow  (Read 7015 times)

Offline Hanai

• Clean
Nyaa Nyaa vs Meow Meow
« on: November 24, 2004, 04:28:48 AM »
Hello. This is my first post. I'm Hanai Haruki. I love Yakumo-chan.

I'm very happy that, finally, somebody took School Manga for a serious translation (there were other groups doing it but their translations were surface-only, missing lots of stuff). From what I've read, I must say: 'crats, this is how it's done.

But let's do some constructive criticism :-). Manga cats go "nyaa! nyaa!", not "meow" :(. I understand the transformation is made to make it easier for westerners to understand without having to think what "nyaa" is about, but altering this kind of stuff alters the manga too much, also makes it harder to familiarize with japanese culture.

I've just spotted Yakumo-chan so this is goodbye for now. Keep at the good work! :)

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
Re: Nyaa Nyaa vs Meow Meow
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 08:22:10 AM »
actually, roots had translated the meows as nyaa.

However, the decision was made at the QC level (i.e. by me) that meow should be used.

I understand those of you hardcore manga ethusiasts who would like to relate to the Japanese culture; but, conversely, there are also manga readers less familiar to the Japanese culture/language who would not understand why a cat would say "nyaa nyaa" (almost like a sort of taunt in English  :P ).

Thanks for the comment though... we try to gear our translations to the broadest audience, so I apologize for not satisfying your nyaa's.

Waya475

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 02:50:21 PM »
Meow = Nya.  Just stop complaining about something so incredibly stupid.

Translating the sound effect for a cat mewing certainly ruins the Japanese atmosphere :(

Altering this kind of stuff?  Something THIS pathetic will affect how the manga feels?  We may as well leave all the Japanese dialogue intact, so people can have the manga in its unaltered form.  Will you kill yourself if we replace the names of the characters with things like Robert and Edwin?

This is one of the silliest complaints I have ever heard.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 02:55:25 PM by Kaizou475 »

Offline tenraikaen

• Clean
  • that woman is man because I was decieved
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 03:00:03 PM »
Wow man, if that one little translation altered the entire story of the manga for you then you must have been reading a different manga than I.

Offline madcrow

• Clean
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 10:58:05 AM »
last i checked, yanime does TRANSLATION not transtliteration. and they translate into ENGLISH not PSEUDO-ANGLO-OTAKISH. The english word for the noise a cat makes is "meow" therefore, a proper english translation should be "meow" not "nyaa" if you want  the japanese sound effects, read it in japanese. it's free. so don't complain. after all, you don't see ME complaining...

Offline AlphaUltima

• Ichitard #95127
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Momusutard
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 03:32:39 AM »
hanai, get help.
if i could lock this thread for its fanboinicity i would.

Offline ChronoReverse

• Clean
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 03:18:46 PM »
Meow is fine.  If you want japanese, go and buy the tanks.  This is a translation for those who don't read japanese.

Offline Mrpopo

• Clean
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 04:27:49 PM »
I know what will solve the problem! Less cats! X_x

Meow = Nyaa
Nyaa = Meow

Does it matter? Hell, you don't even need to get the drift, its a sfx of a cat making a noise.  -_-

Offline marseil

• Clean
  • because we are amorphous we hold that in reverence
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 11:08:11 AM »
god!!!! this topic is pointless
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 11:09:45 AM by marseil »

Offline Private Prinny

• President of the "Harima Kenji" fanclub
  • Clean
  • *Kaboom*
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 08:28:07 PM »
god!!!! this topic is pointless

Lol!
Maybe you are right, maybe not!
It is very interesting for me, which soundwords appear in the different  translated mangas and comics!
So a bomb makes *kabooom*, a window shaterred will maybe make *crash*
Here they make BUUUMMM and Klirrr! I am sometimes really curious what the sfx in japaneese comics are. So I like for this reason scanalated mangas much more, then published and proper translated mangas.
At the start in my country they translated many mangas in german, from the french version, which came from the english one, which was translated from the japanese one.....some are really  funny, odd or even annoying, since the translators were not really skilled with this material.
watching a german dragonball, sailor moon, saber rider or mila superstar gave me then and now nightmares! The choosen voice-actors were and are way horrible. Nowadays at pokemon yugih-oh and ranma they are better, but I am to old to watch such stuff now, with the exception of ranma. Now, old wise geezer that I am now....has seen many animes and mangas now in  2 or 3 languages, and it is waaaay better to watch english dubbed ones, although it now doesn´t even makes a difference in which language they are subbed, scanalated, because  10~15 years after the first animes and mangas came to my country, they finally realised it to make this right!   With some exceptions!
To call Rioga from Ranma as pig-form Phülütt! I cannot even make this word with english meaning, but imagine takink a tihs and with encounter of serious problems. Such a name for a pig is a crime! :'(

O_o Here i go again, looooong post, and on top of that prettty OT!  ::)
Well, here the cats make *Miau*, when you pet(?)  them, they make Schnurr, when they rubb on your leg they make *Maunz*  and when you pull their tail they make *FAUCH! ;D
Must be funny to pronounce this words in english!  :o

[/Blablabla] ...finally!   ;)
Signature? What is a Signature? Bah, I don´t need that extra-space,  to make a complete fool out of me!
Just take a look at my damn posts!

No native english speaker! Keep that in mind, while laughing at my baad grammar!

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 08:56:58 PM »
We pride ourselves in translations, so you came to the right place for your manga needs :P

Offline Private Prinny

• President of the "Harima Kenji" fanclub
  • Clean
  • *Kaboom*
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 09:18:34 PM »
We pride ourselves in translations, so you came to the right place for your manga needs Tongue

So?
Then let the great worshiping begin!   :-* :) ;) :D ;D :-*
Signature? What is a Signature? Bah, I don´t need that extra-space,  to make a complete fool out of me!
Just take a look at my damn posts!

No native english speaker! Keep that in mind, while laughing at my baad grammar!

anything