Author Topic: Gundam Seed Destiny-Episode Discussion Thread(Spoilers)  (Read 97734 times)

Offline shinaku

• Slightly Buzzed
Re: Gundam Seed Destiny-Episode Discussion Thread(Spoilers)
« Reply #450 on: October 02, 2005, 07:47:31 AM »
I hear you.  That ending wasn't "complete" at all.  Makes me wonder what the special episode that will come out with the dvd will be like.  I'm confused about Talia too.  So she actually had a kid that's not Rey...right?  And if so, she just decided to leave this world and let the kid grew up without her?  If the kid is Rey...wtf?! 

The battles weren't even all that good.  Most of them were just reused battle footage.  Kira vs Rey wasn't even really a battle.  Just flashbacks and funnels flying everywhere.  Shinn vs Athrun...um it was kinda cool seeing gundam doing kicks and such.  And Athrun didn't even go into seed mode!!  And damn it we still didn't see Justice use any of its weapons.  It has that beam boomerang in its shield that turns into a sword, and those beam slicers on the legs...where were they?! 

And was it just me or did the fact that Rey shot Gil was very uncharacteristic of him?  I mean the entire series, he was like "The Chairman is right...blah blah blah", then after having Kira yelled at him about things that are common sense he decided on the future instead...then he died.  And let's not forget his manly cry. :P 

As for Thrid's comment, well I think it feels that way is because there weren't any huge emotional obstacle that they had to go through.  This battle seemed like any other battle.  Where as in Seed, Athrun had to deal with his father, Cagalli wanted Athrun to live on, Kira lost Frey, etc.  Shinn and Luna were so indecisive that they just made their fight pointless.  I don't see them in tears because of how they lost, but rather because they were totally useless in battle.  You would cry to if you went from main character to some back character :P

So yeah, not happy with the ending.  The only character that I still have any respect for (being a Lacus and Luna fanboy aside) is Merlyn.  She was the only one that acted right in her given situation.  I just couldn't like the characters in this series.  How could I, they keep bringing new ones in and changing everything.  And yes, let's hope that the rage of fans make them hire a new director.

Offline Thrid

• Clean
    • Rhetorical Ramblings
« Reply #451 on: October 02, 2005, 09:29:46 AM »
I think Rey just called Talia 'mother' because he was just as desperate for a mother as he was for a father (thus that weird happy outburst he had upon seeing Gilb way back in the middle of the series, around when they picked up Orange-Gouf). Really, Rey could have been a half-decent character. They could have used him to bring new light to Rau, to kinda show how Rau might have been if he had ever been loved as a child or something like that. Could have redeemed him along with Shinn. Instead they wasted all that time on clip shows and Cagalli crying.

Not only did the fail to make us care about the characters, they couldn't even get the mechs right. Normally when watching the last couple episodes of a Gundam series, I'm almost as worried about the mechs as I am about the characters, but I couldn't bring myself to care about almost any mech in that entire battle (except for maybe Impluse). They threw out so many mechs in the last episodes that we didn't get a chance to get to know any of them.

Jeeze, Shinn and Luna didn't really even see the light at the end, I see no reason for them not to hold a grudge against Athrun and the Archangel crew.

shinaku nailed it regarding Meryin, though, she was the only new character that seemed to have any mind at all (which was surprising, considering that she wasn't even much of a character throughout the whole first half of the series). Man, I had such high hopes for this series, remember how thrilling the battles in episode 2 were? I think that's where the whole thing peaked.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
« Reply #452 on: October 02, 2005, 07:35:35 PM »
Let's hope this is the end of Mitsuo "Clipshow" Fukuda's reign over Gundam. (anyone else find it ironic that the credits were made up of old clips?)

Yeah, I laughed pretty hard at that... they could have used that last ending to maybe show where everyone headed to... added SOME closure. But nope, one more recap section, just incase we missed all the rest.

That episode was even more disappointing then I was expecting. Gundam SEED Destiny officially sucked ass. Rey got the ass kicked out of him real fast.... as did Shinn. There was very littile concluded and Gil, who was so on top of things the entire series, was incredibly surprised that Kira and Co took out his huge weapon with almost no effort in the last ep. It's like that just ended all of his plans and he want from being confident to practically crying.

And yeah, I don't know what the deal is with Talia's "kid"... I figured I was just missing something, but I don't know. And also, when was the last time Athrun talked to Cagalli? 15 episodes ago? Seriously, this series had HUGE issues. Bandai better notice this and not make the same bad mistakes. No more copying the orginals, this put a huge damper on that and just makes it stupid. SEED did a fairly good job with MSG, Destiny looked like it would be a great new Zeta until we hit the first recap and we realized it was all going to go to shit. NO MORE. No more Goufs, Zakus, or Doms. No more plot lines that are closer than the typical colony drops and Earth vs Colony.

And the mecha, God, as cool as they look, they are all far too similar. And way too many of them, they need to make a Turn 'A' 2 to get us back on track with what Gundam should be about: the characters and plot. The mecha are important, but its obvious they had trouble with everything else. So unless everything else is fixed, there is no need for a "cool Gundam or 20".

SEED might be in my top 5 series, but Destiny goes right smack between Wing and G (but still above SD Gundam Force). Congrats, Bandai!

Now where's my MS Igloo?! I NEED more now after watching that shit.

Offline VeX

• Clean
  • I will show you what it means to kill. -Shiki
« Reply #453 on: October 03, 2005, 06:05:33 AM »
Somehow.... the end of Destiny was almost predictable for me.  It was obvious from the start of the final battle (last two eps) that Kira et al would just mow down the opposition (Yes yes, I'm a big fan of the AA side).  Look at the trumps of each side and how they match against each other:

AA vs Minerva - Marrue vs. Gladys, Neuman (God of dodging) vs. some shmoe, and we see AA wins in this round. But for the sake of argument let us assume that these two would end with a stalemate.

Freedom vs. Legend, Justice vs. Destiny - This isn't even funny, but again just for the sake of argument, let's say its equal.

The Destiny Trinary (the DOMS) vs. Jules squad - could have been a point for ZAFT.... if Izak wasn't smart since he saw he'd get pwned if he didn't switch sides.  Point to ORB side.

Akatsuki vs. Impulse - He who makes the impossible possible vs. Ms. I'm the next Stella.   No contest.... Funnels own... that and Athrun takes her out with her boyfriend singlehandedly (and even saves Luna from Shin's rage while he's at it).

METEOR + Eternal vs. Messaiah + Neo Genesis - Even since the METEORS take down ships  and MS units alike as the Freedom and Justice blaze by, and the Genesis blasts at the cannonfodder of the ORB side.

Overflow Unit:
Gaia - Yes, I was actually expecting the Desert Tiger to also show some pwnage.... but, the Hyaku Shi--- Akatsuki's brightness stunned Andrew I guess.

Okay... so there was only one overflow unit.... but the funnel users count for a lot in the Blitzkrieg performed by the ORB forces.   And don't let me get into the quality of the pilots for each side....

Overall, the end, although expected, was not as satisfying as it could have been....

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #454 on: October 03, 2005, 09:22:33 AM »
Wow, you actually bothered breaking down that excuse of a battle. ^^;; I think that ending was obvious from a long time ago... it was just so obvious that I think many were hoping that it would not be the case. Which is why it was so bad. >_<

Offline shinaku

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #455 on: October 03, 2005, 09:43:58 AM »
Oh yeah I forgot about Shinn almost killing Luna.  You know that if he did, he would have blamed Athrun for that.  Damn why did he lived.  The one saving grace for this series was for them to kill Shinn.  It's not like anybody likes him anyway.  And about that battle breakdown, yeah I didn't care enough to actually think about that, but it make sense.  During the battle, I did find a couple lines funny.  Like when Kira said to Rey, "Your life is yours to live (or something like that)" and then he blast Rey full force...ok now you can die.  Or when Mwu said that "Numbers aren't everything" and then shoots out all his funnels to take out like 2 guys...I guess numbers matter.  Anyway, the series is over and now I'll have to find something else to watch on Sunday mornings.  I'm actually hoping that they'll make a short oav giving us closure of the loose ends...not an oav that recaps the series...you hear that Bandai, no more recaps!!!  Hmm...maybe I'll actually finish Turn A now that I don't have a new series to watch.

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #456 on: October 03, 2005, 05:12:41 PM »
I'm actually hoping that they'll make a short oav giving us closure of the loose ends...not an oav that recaps the series...you hear that Bandai, no more recaps!!!  Hmm...maybe I'll actually finish Turn A now that I don't have a new series to watch.

Haha, yeah, SEED Destiny Special Edition: 6 more recap episodes!

I really think all of the Bandai Executives would be assassinated for that. ^^;;

Offline Thrid

• Clean
    • Rhetorical Ramblings
« Reply #457 on: October 03, 2005, 06:22:14 PM »
Gunota says that the final Destiny DVD will have a 40 minute special episode. But somehow I think it'll take more than 40 minutes to fix Destiny. Won't be out till February, anyway.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Offline VeX

• Clean
  • I will show you what it means to kill. -Shiki
« Reply #458 on: October 03, 2005, 07:17:16 PM »
Wow, you actually bothered breaking down that excuse of a battle. ^^;; I think that ending was obvious from a long time ago... it was just so obvious that I think many were hoping that it would not be the case. Which is why it was so bad. >_<

I had to.... I personally liked the designs of G Seed and GSD and even if the plot just didn't live up to the hype, I at least had to have justification (I need an excuse) to say that the mecha rocked.... or why they performed as poorly they did... look at Impulse final battle and compare to Strike final battle:
Both may have been pwned by stronger units but due to the pilot at the time, we all felt that the strike rocked more since after getting beaten by the Providence, it manages to still save the AA.  Impulse on the other hand.... limped to it's pilot's pwned boyfriend.... true, I liked the scenes of the Destiny and the Impulse in one screen be it in combat or on the lunar surface (it was stylish)..... but it was no excuse for its shabby performance.

And I guess I still need to rant out on one more thing..... I still prefer Freedom over the Strike Freedom.... the SF may have been stronger, newer, faster and had DRAGOONS.... but the original Freedom still held more emotion in its battles and in its use....  A desperate run of the AA from the cyclops was more stylish (and held more desperation) than the Eternal being chased by grunts.  The struggle between the Freedom and Providence   and SF vs. Legend... well, it came down to the pilot, Rey sucked and I would disaggree that he was Rau (who rocked as a pilot).... He was no such thing.

Oh, then lets start a running count on the number of times they showed the new mecha.... SF - what, 3 battles? and that's it.  Freedom.... Cyclops, ORB Mass Driver, I don't need to continue.

If anyone shined (literally) in GSD, it was Mwu La Fraga.  Give him the shiny Akatsuki, give it funnels, reflective beam coating that could handle main positron cannon blasts.  A past to be regained, a love recaptured.... he played 3 sides of the conflict (he was a voice in one of the ZAFT bridge scenes).  He played a savior, a bad guy, a good guy, got on many a unit and used them well.... unlike Athrun (who I will rant about later) on his Saviour.  Points to him AND a special mention to the darkhorse Hawke sister, Meyrin.  The cute bridge bunny who SHOULD have kept her hair down cause I say so (admit it, she looked much hotter hair down against ponytail).  She was a background character who practically got her own episode and got to eat up a LOT of screentime with her "crush".... much more screentime than a certain Cagalli.... Speaking of the guy in the middle...

Now, I will make the ULTIMATE excuse for the series: why Athrun rocked, sucked a long time, then suddenly rocked.  Yes, I really will make one AND make it sound plausible. 

Envy.... yes ENVY.... and he was smart (or held the series script the whole time)  at the very start, he was skilled enough to hold off 3 gundam class opponents while his girl at the time was inside with him IN A ZAKU.  Okay, he still rocked.... then he LOST HIS GIRL.... envious of a certain Yamato who had all the chicks with him, he knew he had to get some.... but how? He later drops from space again in a Zaku (with a busted leg) to earth.  Here, he just let himself be skilled enough to survive, in order to get to the next stage of his plan: Get more girls.  And ZAFT was the place to be. Kira had most of the ORB girls in his palm especially after rescuing Cagalli (eww incest).  At ZAFT he still had many to choose from: Meer(he still wanted Lacus? or a replacement), Gladys and the Hawke Sisters.  All of which adored him or at the very least respected him. 

But HOW TO GET THEM? play a Kira Yamato.... show them growth, shed a few tears, let them comfort you.... yeah, that's the stuff.  He held himself back ON PURPOSE when he got back in his new Saviour.  He knew two things:  It wasn't a Justice or even an Aegis, it was just a prettified Murasame.  And he knew that ZAFT isn't the place to be, ORB was.... no way you want to fight against Kira + AA, ever (Yzak knew this, he learned first hand).

So he held himself back enough NOT to get the spotlight on him while charming the hell out of everyone with his <cough> mature composure.  And he had a lot of action going for him, not in mech, but more importantly in character.  He had a bed scene with Meer(also the funny followup), a stalker in Luna and the like... when the Freedom was destroyed, he knew he had to return to ORB.... the new units curtesy of Lacus would be coming along.  He tried to escape with as many girls as he could.  Not Gladys (Gil) or Luna (Shin).... but Meer!  He tried, but he doesn't have Kira's charm (who later turned Meer with just an outstretched hand and no flashbacks, Fukuda had to get her killed just to keep Kira's harem small).  Failing that, he tried another.... Surprise! Meyrin kinda was a great bridge bunny/hacker.  Then he holds off Destiny and Legend on a GOUF Ignited.  Skill up time.   Then he gets the Inf. Justice and shows ZAFTside the true meaning of PWNAGE.

So you see, Athrun had the skill.  He just held himself back ESPECIALLY when he got the Saviour.  And that's why its one of the most underappreciated mecha second only to Andrew's Gaia.

Shameless plug: check out my Gundam Funnies thread at the Beast's Lair.... lots of SPOILERS on practically every Gundam series I've watched (I'll also copy my last two posts and transfer it there later: http://nrvnqsr.proboards20.com/index.cgi?board=amg&action=display&thread=1125818729
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 04:37:59 AM by VeX »

Offline shinaku

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #459 on: October 03, 2005, 09:41:37 PM »
*claps* That was an awsome way to look at it.  Hell I would have prefered that explaination over the actual crap they gave us.  If he had only cried like a weeping animal more, then he would have had the Kira charm :P  And yes, Merlyn was way hotter with her hair down...but she's no Lacus :P

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #460 on: October 04, 2005, 03:40:58 AM »
Haha, yeah, that was a great explanation. WAY better than the straight forward answer. I guess everything always comes down to the chicks. ^^;;

Offline Kairu de Large

« Reply #461 on: October 04, 2005, 09:11:30 PM »
http://myspace-824.vo.llnwd.net/00249/42/83/249063824_l.jpg

I screencaped that, it was the only real redeeming factor for me, and it wasn't on the show's part.

I thought the ending was complete crap....
My Complaints:
-What Talia and Rey did seemed out of character to me.  And theres this "Oh and btw, I'm about to leave my child all alone in the world so I can die for this piece of crap, it'd be nice if you could say hello to him sometime."
-Kira probably killed over a 1000 people when he had always made a stance not to unless absolutely necessary...and it wasn't here.
-Battles weren't even that interesting and too brief.
-I had to see that stupid montage of people being shot AGAIN
-Shinn didn't die.
-Shinn lived .
-Shinn only had a tiny scratch on his face it seemed.
-And to top it off I was treated to another clip show. Had to have one last hurrah didn't you Fudaka?

Theres my 2 cents, better luck next time Bandai, and even better luck for your safety if you ever hire Fudaka again.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 09:56:59 PM by Kairu de Large »

Offline shinaku

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #462 on: October 05, 2005, 08:51:22 PM »
Well it seemed that the "40 min special" that was suppose to have come out with the last dvd has, at least for now, been removed. 

Gunota:
ES Toys has now removed the 40 minute "special episode" from the DVD details.

So maybe it was one of those recap specials, like the Editted special that they showed half way through the series.  Or maybe they just saw the fan's reaction and decided to cancel the entire project.  Or better yet, after seeing the reaction, they decided to make a real ending instead. 

After letting it sink in for awhile, I've come to the conclustion that this is THE worst Gundam series.  Yes, G Gundam was better, at least it had consistency with the plot and characters.  Plus it was hard to concentrate on that plot with Gundams shooting fireballs and turning super saiyan. 

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
« Reply #463 on: October 06, 2005, 03:36:07 AM »
After letting it sink in for awhile, I've come to the conclustion that this is THE worst Gundam series.  Yes, G Gundam was better, at least it had consistency with the plot and characters.  Plus it was hard to concentrate on that plot with Gundams shooting fireballs and turning super saiyan. 

I was just thinking the exact same thing yesterday. Besides it's plot NEVER getting too sidetracked from what they stated from the very beginning (searches for brother so he can kill him), the ending was so, so, so much better than Destiny's. Destiny is still better than SD Gundam Force, though... IMO. I am sure plenty of people actually think that might be better. >_<;;;; I don't know about G-Saviour though... that is just so awful.

Offline Thrid

• Clean
    • Rhetorical Ramblings
« Reply #464 on: October 06, 2005, 06:37:13 AM »
I think Destiny is the first Gundam where neither the plot, nor the characters made any sense. Even G-Savior was consistant in those regards (even if it was dull and pointless). Shoot, if you take it for what it was, G Gundam actually did a rather good job with its characters and plot (over the years, I've kinda developed a soft spot for G Gundam). Frankly, Gundam X's ending was better, even taking into account the whole 'Newtypes as mutations not evolution' doesn't make any sense.

As for SD Gundam Force, if it can't fit into Turn A's Gundam universe, I don't think it actually counts as Gundam (much like old school SD Gundam (but at least that was funny)).