Author Topic: "Kimagure Orange Road"  (Read 4639 times)

Offline 7ice3

• Clean
Re: "Kimagure Orange Road"
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 10:27:06 AM »
Oh really? are the movies any good? If you could, could you please pm me where I could find them?
And are those the titles?

Animeigo is selling the KOR TV series on DVD, and also the first movie (aka the I-want-to-go-sulk-after-watching-something-so-painful 'Ano Hi Ni Kaeritai' [I Want To Return To That Day]).

ADV has the rights to the second KOR (ShinKOR) movie 'Soshite, Ano Natsu No Hajimari' [Summer's Beginning]. They recently rereleased it with a new, 'improved' Hikaru cover.

Sigh... and failing those there are at least two active bittorrents of those movies, easily searchable in Google.

And also don't forget the Pilot Episode of KOR, which was never picked up by anyone and will never see the light of day, except for a torrent currently hosted by Anime-suki. The only difference is that it uses different voice actors than the TV series, and has the cast going on a vacation to Okinawa. It's virtually the same as Episode 45 (?--the one where Madoka and Kyousuke get trapped in a ski lift), except for the location.

My personal opinions on both movies:

1) I Want To Return To That Day - is easily one of the most heart-wrenching movies, animated or not, that I have ever seen. It is very nicely done, with no ESP in sight, no Komatsu or Hatta, no comedy, just the resolution of the triangle in a realistic and believable way. You will FEEL Kyousuke's pain as he forces himself to become cold to Hikaru, in order to remain true to Madoka. You will want to WEEP with Hikaru as she gradually gets left behind by Kyousuke and Madoka (who are busy preparing for college), and suffer with her as she follows Darling around like a sick puppy after he dumps her. You will probably HATE Madoka for the way she has Kyousuke finally make a decision about their relationship. And your heart will probably break when you see Madoka and Hikaru confront each other in ABCB and say some pretty mean things to each other. Some people say that they got put off by this movie because of the drama and the disappearance of the light-hearted comedy that characterized the TV series, but I think it was the best tribute anyone could give to the strength and depth of the KOR characters. Don't ever watch this before reading the manga or watching the anime--trust me, you'll regret it if you do.

2. Summer's Beginning - Lots of fans consider this to be the end of the KOR series. It tries to resolve the lingering tensions between the three, and has a heartwarming scene near the end with them in a swimming pool, playfully frolicking with each other, like they used to do before the triangle broke up. Still, I couldn't help but be disappointed for Hikaru, because at the movie's end (--sorry, spoilers here, deleted them--).It's definitely better than the ShinKOR novel, but if you like Akemi Takada's character designs for the TV series, you'll probably receive a shock when you see Takayuki Gotoh's Madoka and Hikaru. Hikaru has changed a lot, and is way more mature and sexy (and a definite threat to Madoka), but Madoka--well, I didn't like her new design: she looks like a china doll, ready to shatter the moment you touch her. Still, she is beautiful, and I guess the character designs did need a revision for the 90s...

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Look me up at #White_base and #Zg-fansubs at Rizon
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 08:28:51 AM »
Wow I never thought that they would do that. I only have the whole manga serie at home and even there I was somewhat disappointed by the ending even if it was beautiful. What I didn't quite get was if the movies where animated or with real people. Oh and do you really think it is important that I watch the series before seeing the movies! Thanks in advance.

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Offline Zellgadus

• needs anger management
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Look me up at #White_base and #Zg-fansubs at Rizon
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 06:34:33 PM »
Just a new message so this doesn't become too old. I just really want to have some answers for the questions I posted in the previous post.

~It is in the Human conciousness to fight. Therefore Life is like an endless waltz. The three beats of War, Peace and revolution will repeat endlessly in the Opera of Life~

Offline Pucci

• Clean
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 11:15:24 PM »
What I didn't quite get was if the movies where animated or with real people.

They are anime movies and they are as powerful as 7ice3 suggests.  LOL, wouldn't a search of the titles produce screencaps...??

I want to Return to that Day has got to be saddest heart-wrenching thing ever. You want to die for Hikaru because she knew the truth about Madoka and Kyousuke but was in a constant state of denial. Yeah, no ESP in this one , just straight-shooting triangle romance and the painful inevitable breakup...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 11:16:42 PM by Pucci »

anything