Author Topic: Chopping Onions  (Read 2457 times)

Offline aymes

• Clean
  • We are on a cruise we are!
Chopping Onions
« on: September 17, 2004, 06:42:38 PM »
So after getting addicted to curry for a whole night (woo) I cooked one the next day.

Now, I've cooked curry before, but im sure I was chopping the onions better after reading this!! :D Anyone else improving their cooking skills after reading it? hehe

why aint people talking more about this, i thinks its great so far :)

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
Re: Chopping Onions
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 03:09:27 PM »
well.. one of the reason i got into addicted to curry was the fact that i worked as a part time cook for a year and a half and i am a big food network nut (iron chef  ;D ).

but aside from the food, the character relationships are well thought out; plus, you get free recipes \o/

Offline AnimeJanai

• Clean
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 03:25:35 PM »
After cutting the onion(s), I remove the smell with one of those "no onion smell" metal bars that you rub around your hands like a bar of soap. 

It is sized like a tiny bar of hotel soap.  A number of kitchen or cooking supply stores have those.  It seems to have a catalytic effect on the onion smell that immediately breaks it down.  I bought one at specialty kitchen supply store, but there probably is a similar model at Target.  To use, wash well with soap and water, then with hands in a little bit of running water, rub around as if it were a bar of soap.  After short while, you can stop and dry off your hands and sniff.  The smell will be greatly reduced if not gone (unless the onion juice had had a good long time to marinate deep into your skin).  Repeat as necessary.  No one will know you were working on onions (other than your breath!).

Offline aymes

• Clean
  • We are on a cruise we are!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 06:02:36 PM »
awww man i love the smell of onions....well, only when they're cooking ^_^

Didnt know they did specific soap for it though!! thats pretty interesting must tell my bro who is a chef also!

So has anyone tried any of the recepies from the manga yet? I'd be interested which were any good (or easy!) before i try myself :) (oops didnt see the other thread about this!)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 06:03:36 PM by aymes »

Offline unhinged_loon

• Clean
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 07:16:21 PM »
So after getting addicted to curry for a whole night (woo) I cooked one the next day.

Now, I've cooked curry before, but im sure I was chopping the onions better after reading this!! :D Anyone else improving their cooking skills after reading it? hehe

why aint people talking more about this, i thinks its great so far :)

Well, I can learn to cook curry from my mum, so I dont need a manga to urge me to do so.  ;D Besides, I kind of think that the manga's recipes are wimpish, ie somewhat lacking in spiciness (hot) as compared to what I get to taste around here.

Offline AnimeJanai

• Clean
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 04:43:33 PM »
Didnt know they did specific soap for it though!! thats pretty interesting must tell my bro who is a chef also!
It's not a real soap.  It is a metal bar typically shaped like a small hotel bar.   Some brands have them shaped like credit cards.  It seems to be basically stainless steel.   So, unless there is something else alloyed into that metal bar, I suppose that rubbing your hands on something stainless while the hands are under running water (or at least generously wet) might work as well.