Author Topic: what is curry?  (Read 5949 times)

anime freak!

what is curry?
« on: September 06, 2004, 08:39:02 PM »
Can someone tell me what it is?

Offline Tonyf9685

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Me - sports and anime fanatic (and proud of it!)
Re: what is curry?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 09:04:43 PM »
I'm no expert, and I'm not even positive of what it is myself....All I know is that it's some sort of Japanese food (I'm assuming noodles) that they eat....There is spicy curry, regular curry, etc.  That's all that I know about it.... :P  I'm sure there are people on this site who could explain it MUCH more thoroughly.... 8)
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow?  ^_~   Also, I believe that if the RED SOX can win the World Series, the Lions can win the Super Bowl.  Who wants to disagree?  (*glares menacingly*)

Offline Kairu de Large

• Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 09:42:52 PM »
Curry is an Indian food, not Japanese. It's a stew of various meats made with curry powder(made from spices). Thats all I know, I have tasted it once however and it was pretty good.

Offline Tonyf9685

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 09:53:06 PM »
lol ^_^'  Told you I was no expert.... ;)

But that is some useful information, Kairu de Large.  I know I wasn't really ASKING what curry was, but thanks for clearing that up anyways.  Now I can no longer walk into a room and be CLUELESS about curry...^_~
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow?  ^_~   Also, I believe that if the RED SOX can win the World Series, the Lions can win the Super Bowl.  Who wants to disagree?  (*glares menacingly*)

Offline Kairu de Large

• Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 10:10:03 PM »
Well I wasn't correcting you as if to insult you, I was just answering animefreak!'s question.

Offline Tonyf9685

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 11:45:07 PM »
OH!  I didn't take what you said as an insult...I was being serious...I'm glad that you cleared that up for me....^_^'

Sorry if I came off that way....But I didn't think you were insulting me.... 8)

Offline poprocks

• Clean
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 01:59:15 AM »
i thought curry was put on rice...

Offline marseil

• Clean
  • because we are amorphous we hold that in reverence
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 06:40:52 AM »
it can be put on rice it can be just as well eaten alone

Offline Motoko-chan

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 12:39:20 PM »
All you wanted to know about Curry:

http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/

Enjoy!
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

anime freak!

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 03:40:57 PM »
Thankyou every one now I know what curry is. ;D

Offline unhinged_loon

• Clean
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2004, 07:10:49 PM »
A few *slight* corrections on the site:

The regional curries do not include the malay and indonesian styles of curry.  They are similar (but not the same) to the South Indian style, ie in coconut milk usage. Not to mention that the Japanese do have a different style themselves.

Offline AnimeJanai

• Clean
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 04:50:53 PM »
The most important single thing to remember is that "curry" is not a single spice as is pepper, mustard, dill, thyme, licorice, etc.  Curry is a blend of spices and possibly additional flavouring and texture agents depending on the region. 

My favourite version has half the meat marinating with the curry liquid overnight inside of a "zip lock" bag in the refrigerator.  While that makes the meat texture a bit different, the texture change of the marinated meat plus the stronger flavour makes the mix of marinated and non-marinated meat pretty good when over rice for a simple but satisfying dish.

Offline im_biggy

• Clean
  • I'm The master of Cooking Manga...
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 08:34:55 AM »
in layman's terms,

Meat + lots of spices = curry

very popular in INDIA and SE ASIA, the abundance of spices makes up for the lesser quality of meat. Not saying that the meat in the area is BAD, of course, just that it's not good enough to be a delicacy.

This is in volume 3 of the manga i think, but each region has significant differences.

INDIA: - Fry onions over low flame for an extended period of time to bring out the sweetness.
SE ASIA: - Uses VERY strong spices, tamed with coconut milk.
JAPAN: - A spin-off curry, added with fish stock soba sauce and flour for a thick, soupy flavour.
CHINA: - Stir-fried delights, curry powder used as a flavor enhancer. not really popular because it contradicts with the 'fresh ingredients, fiery display' theme throughout chinese cooking.

As for what is (indian) curry powder made off...
Pepper, Tumeric, Cumin, Coriander seeds, Chili, Cloves, Cardamom, Bay Leaves and Cinnamon.

Offline theshonen

• Clean
  • Kawaii!
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 08:36:32 PM »
AH!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT CURRY IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curry is a common Indian sauce eaten plain if Indian style and eaten with rice if Japanese style (I love it). Curry can be compared to the well known, Chili! Very spicy : P

Meatballs, carrots, and potatoes are delicious with curry ^^
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 08:39:42 PM by theshonen »

Offline Mythril

• Clean
  • I love curry!
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 11:27:11 AM »
Uh, that post is nearly a year old. :P

That being said, I believe it's not really correct to say that curry is 'a' sauce, but rather a collection of similar sauces, according to the FAQ page on the Curry House site given earlier.

anything