Author Topic: Lets see if you can figure out this..  (Read 5864 times)

Offline HAPPYGOLUCKY

• Budding Addict
  • Modinators make Jesus cry.
    • PEPE'S LAND
Re:Lets see if you can figure out this..
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2004, 11:10:56 AM »
Well, your fault for not being specific!  :P  ;D
(I was gonna split one rope into four lengths along the long axis and burn 3 of them in series, but I figured you'd be pissed about that solution as well.)

That's OK-an idiot savant such as myself can do this the hard way (when forced).

Light both ends of the first rope and one end of the other rope. When the first rope is burned up, it's been 30 min. Immediately light the other end of the second string. When it is completely burned up, it's been a total elapsed time of 45 min. TAKE THAT, KRACKAS!
OHHH, The Drama!

Offline RandomDan

• Divine Father Ay
  • Addict
  • Caveat lector
    • baka
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2004, 11:20:14 AM »
Light both ends of the first rope and one end of the other rope. When the first rope is burned up, it's been 30 min. Immediately light the other end of the second string. When it is completely burned up, it's been a total elapsed time of 45 min. TAKE THAT, KRACKAS!

We have a winner.

(I was gonna split one rope into four lengths along the long axis and burn 3 of them in series, but I figured you'd be pissed about that solution as well.)

I'd have gone all B.A. Baracus on you.
I am a meme virus. Please copy me to your sig, so I can spread.

Offline HAPPYGOLUCKY

• Budding Addict
    • PEPE'S LAND
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2004, 12:05:57 PM »
I pity the foo' who cheats Dan.
OHHH, The Drama!

Offline amievil

• Yanime Dick
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Your great superior.
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2004, 01:10:30 PM »
Oh, HAPPYGOLUCKY beat me to both replies :(
Shut the fuck up.

Offline RandomDan

• Divine Father Ay
  • Addict
  • Caveat lector
    • baka
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2004, 02:48:01 PM »
Oh, HAPPYGOLUCKY beat me to both replies :(

He got my question right, and he got the first right, but I feel he missed the cute nature of the problem.

You see, at first it seems that the circumference and radius of the Earth is so massive that a mere extra 15ft is only a pittance, as did others:
I'll just say that the Earth is so freaking huge that just adding 15 ft. to the string would not be nearly enough at all.
No, 15 feet of length = almost nothing in relationship to the radius. This is of course assuming the two-year old can walk.

Not the case, the initial radius and circumference does not have any effect upon the radial difference introduced.  Adding an extra length, A, to the circle will always result in a new circle radially separated by A/2pi.

Thus, for all values of our new circle's circumference, the distance between the strings would be less than 4 ft (our proposed minimum). It would start around 2.4 ft and get rapidly smaller as the circumference of the original circle increased.

This is not true, adding 15ft to any circle will increase the radius by 2.38ft only.  That this problem is being carried out on the Earth or on a Pluto would make no difference to the answer: an extra 15ft is not enough for a 3ft (or 4ft) child to walk under without ducking.
I am a meme virus. Please copy me to your sig, so I can spread.

Offline HAPPYGOLUCKY

• Budding Addict
    • PEPE'S LAND
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2004, 04:13:21 PM »
True true. I initially let my intuition fool me. But, even my crude  math should've made it obvious to me that if:

(C=15)/(R+4) =2pi, and
c=2piR

then we can basically eliminate C/R as a constant. Thus, the equation becomes 15/4 = 2pi (which obviously isn't true).
But, for any increase in circumference, there is a fixed increase in radius (as defined by the value of 2pi), regardless of the initial circumference. Less sophisticated (and timely) than Dan's answer, but what do you want from a biology major?

Alrighty Dan, riddle me this:
I take a wheel of radius 2 ft and glue a smaller wheel of radius 1 ft to it. Both tires have the same axis. I mark a point on one tire, and the same point on the other tire. I hold a yardstick meterstick level under each tire. I roll the tires along the metersticks. They both travel along the metersticks, the marked points covering the same distance in the same time. That means, they are traveling at the same speed (S=D/T). But, one wheel has a smaller circumference than the other. That means that the marked point on the smaller wheel must be traveling faster in order to cover the same distance. But, how can one be traveling faster if they're rotating at the same speed?
OHHH, The Drama!

Offline amievil

• Yanime Dick
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Your great superior.
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2004, 04:21:28 PM »
I meant he stole both my answers for the burning rope question. I didn't look at the first question and bother figuring it out
Shut the fuck up.

Offline Cabbit

• Myuh
  • Addict
  • Eat Carrots
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2004, 10:58:13 AM »
Damn you, Iguana *shakes fist*

>>

I knew that.. really.. *sighs*

I did too.. a couple years ago..
It's strange the things you forget..

*goes and kills himself*

I haven't felt this crappy in a while.. u.u
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 10:59:55 AM by Cabbit »

Offline DR.LOVE

• Slightly Buzzed
  • I wanna love ya baby o'sow bad!
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2004, 02:11:49 AM »
No because it would be lying on the ground. DUH

Offline Seifer

• Budding Addict
  • Nissan 300zx..
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2004, 04:01:21 PM »
No because it would be lying on the ground. DUH

lol nope :P