Author Topic: Get Along, and the legend of JT's demise  (Read 19776 times)

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
  • SAVE THE UNI--uuhh I mean-SAVE THE FORUM
Re:Get Along, and the legend of JT's demise
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2004, 07:13:24 PM »
nope never heard of him

Offline Cabbit

• Myuh
  • Addict
  • Eat Carrots
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 07:14:26 PM »
*hands fightingmelee a copy of Imagine*

OO

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 07:16:33 PM »
ahhhhhhhhhh thanks

Offline PrinJess

• Cloud of Nightmares
  • Addict
  • Eh? Hrmm...
    • Ocean Healer
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 07:19:09 PM »
*hands fightingmelee a copy of Imagine*

OO

Ooh, let me borrow that! *searches through it*

Swim upsteam, for the beginning starts there.

Offline fightingmelee

• HHHHHIIIII
  • Addict
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 07:22:48 PM »
uhh sure * just shrugs*

Offline Judau

• Still here...
  • Seriously Addicted
  • WOT
    • https://www.facebook.com/peter.sohl
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 08:03:58 PM »
Done, Overlord Judau. I can write a brief point-paper or thesis abstract, if my purpose is still too vague. But. hopefully this will suffice...

For those who don't know the legend, here it is:

Once upon a time there was a magical board named Juraian Towers, where everyone was happy, and koalas crapped rainbows in members' brains. It was mostly members from AIC, and even a few from here. It was remarkably similar to this site, but bigger and more important (at the time), and with lots of flare. But, people became arrogant and drama-queenish. Fights broke out between the members over little things, and cliques developed. JT fell for many reasons (one reason was this site, some would say). Many people here don't like mentioning it, because it is taboo, and feelings and egos are still hurt.
Point is, the golden rule was ignored & the environment was poisoned, so many people left. A few people abused their power, and pissed off the loyal members. Today JT is rebuilding, but with different people, and will not be the same.  :'(
I'd hate to see that happen again is my point. Already, you can see some of the older members here are around less and less. Without AIC to keep the nucleus together, the cool sites can degrade into your avge internet kiddy-immature fight-site. I think nobody wants that here.

Much better, thanks Fonz, you are definitely one cool cat. :P

And I understand... and agree with where things are heading. But its up to not only the Admins and Mods to keep things in shape, but the more experieced members as well. This is not just age, but maturity (or at least some) mind you. We all need to try and keep things from going overboard, it can't just be a few people who want the board to survive and get better. My main goal right now for yanime's board is to get it to the point where it can actually be respected. Given that I care a whole lot more about what current members think of it rather than others... but I still understand the opinions of the people who look at this board and just do not join because of what it looks like some (or most) of the time. A bunch of inexperienced posters fighting back and forth.

So obviously, since it IS a community, it takes everyone to help out. This is not only helping others, keeping cool, and posting better threads.... but also LISTENING TO THE OPINIONS OF THE SENIOR MEMBERS. They do have a clue, for the most part. It should be obvious who knows what they are doing, they usually have good grammar. That's almost all you need to know. :P Not to make fun of those who don't have proper grammar, that is not what I am saying. What I am saying is that if you have poor grammar, there is a good chance that your reasoning skills through the computer is not quite right and people will not find you to be very helpful.

And now that that is said, get the hell back on topic. :P

Offline DR.LOVE

• Slightly Buzzed
  • I wanna love ya baby o'sow bad!
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2004, 08:14:47 PM »
I say ill go with ya on that , I was at a anime site for a while who has over 43,000 members , if we all could work together , and maybe subment sujestions and not get mad if there turned downed , i could really see this place getting at least 1/4 of that or more in time.

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2004, 08:29:01 PM »
im gonna go see wtf is going on, i have an accont there i never use

-
To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad. - Jack Handy

Offline amievil

• Yanime Dick
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Your great superior.
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2004, 06:13:06 AM »
Half the posts in this thread is reason why I think this board is doomed to stupidity forever.
Shut the fuck up.

Offline unhinged_loon

• Clean
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2004, 07:40:09 AM »
Done, Overlord Judau. I can write a brief point-paper or thesis abstract, if my purpose is still too vague. But. hopefully this will suffice...

For those who don't know the legend, here it is:

Once upon a time there was a magical board named Juraian Towers, where everyone was happy, and koalas crapped rainbows in members' brains. It was mostly members from AIC, and even a few from here. It was remarkably similar to this site, but bigger and more important (at the time), and with lots of flare. But, people became arrogant and drama-queenish. Fights broke out between the members over little things, and cliques developed. JT fell for many reasons (one reason was this site, some would say). Many people here don't like mentioning it, because it is taboo, and feelings and egos are still hurt.
Point is, the golden rule was ignored & the environment was poisoned, so many people left. A few people abused their power, and pissed off the loyal members. Today JT is rebuilding, but with different people, and will not be the same.  :'(
I'd hate to see that happen again is my point. Already, you can see some of the older members here are around less and less. Without AIC to keep the nucleus together, the cool sites can degrade into your avge internet kiddy-immature fight-site. I think nobody wants that here.

Much better, thanks Fonz, you are definitely one cool cat. :P

And I understand... and agree with where things are heading. But its up to not only the Admins and Mods to keep things in shape, but the more experieced members as well. This is not just age, but maturity (or at least some) mind you. We all need to try and keep things from going overboard, it can't just be a few people who want the board to survive and get better. My main goal right now for yanime's board is to get it to the point where it can actually be respected. Given that I care a whole lot more about what current members think of it rather than others... but I still understand the opinions of the people who look at this board and just do not join because of what it looks like some (or most) of the time. A bunch of inexperienced posters fighting back and forth.

So obviously, since it IS a community, it takes everyone to help out. This is not only helping others, keeping cool, and posting better threads.... but also LISTENING TO THE OPINIONS OF THE SENIOR MEMBERS. They do have a clue, for the most part. It should be obvious who knows what they are doing, they usually have good grammar. That's almost all you need to know. :P Not to make fun of those who don't have proper grammar, that is not what I am saying. What I am saying is that if you have poor grammar, there is a good chance that your reasoning skills through the computer is not quite right and people will not find you to be very helpful.

And now that that is said, get the hell back on topic. :P

Words from a noob in these boards (*shrug* you can ignore this post if you like):
This is the first anime forum I have join, though having join a few others (2 of which where the average age is at least in the 20s) and posted there as well. For quite a time I never join anime fora of any kind since most consisted of a lot of whiny teenagers and noobish fans that spout N4rut0 r0x0r!!!! type of posts or posts that consist of 1 word/phrase/smiley. At some of the boards I go to, those posts/threads warrant immediate censure/locking for trolling. Poor paragraphing with bad spelling/grammer would easily prompt the next guy to ask the poster to clean up his post.

I join this forum basically for 1 (maybe silly) reason, I was getting a (chinese) translation job over here. (The way leading to my discovery of this scanlation group and site is another story alotogether...). So I thought maybe it was time for me to find a place to "settle down" and interact with anime fans (despite my location, there are few of such among my friends). I came here without any expectations with regards to post quality, knowing that I would be disappointed if I do (ok, I know this sounds way elitist). However, I found some guys who are above the level of the masses of anime fans out there, making good posts and holding meaningful discussions. Sometimes I really wish there are more of them around.

I dont agree with amievil. These boards can get better, but only after years. We have to wait for the current batch of posters to grow up and mature. With age comes better typing skills, better english and maturity to make longer posts and start meaningful discussions (eg meaning of life thread). By that time, I dont know where I would be, around or gone? I dont know.

@Judau
By what do you mean senior members? By post count? By date of joining? Or by the type and quality of the posts?

"THE SENIOR MEMBERS. They do have a clue, for the most part. It should be obvious who knows what they are doing, they usually have good grammar."

If the young are willing to listen, they would have listened a long time ago. No amount of exhorting them to behave would work. We all have been through the age before. How many of us then would listen to your elders? It doesnt help if some seniors dont set good examples, or complain loudly when the noobs make mistakes, post inane comments etc.

If the senior patrons are to be effective in curbing the noob problem, they first need to gain the respect of the forum first. Getting involved with flaming or groaning at every noob's questions or post doesnt help.

Peer pressure is a very important factor in keeping a forum in good condition. Of course, there is a need of core senior members around. If the seniors have friends who can contribute positively, invite them along to make a difference.

If wanted, there can be a system of ranking (as in some fora) here for the members here. Ranking and promotion is determined by the admin.

Enough of typing so much. Back to work.

Offline amievil

• Yanime Dick
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Your great superior.
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2004, 08:10:30 AM »
Years and years...but that''s if the board is still around then. One year changes a lot on the internet, and in the lives of people around the average age here. They might just stop anime altogether, or some other means of end.

But from what I've seen on this board, I just find it hopeless. I rarely find good message boards on the internet, and only 2 I'd consider extremely insightful or interesting. Actually one of them would probably be the most unique environment found on the internet.

But I digress. There are people over the age of 18, e.g. that Tony8938492389 guy in the threads below, who still have the maturity of a 12 year old and the intelligence of something even less.

Ranks in a boards are a dumb concept, you don't let post counts and whatever features the board itself might include to tell who you are, but the content you post in itself should be enough to signify the label you have created for yourself.
Shut the fuck up.

Offline HAPPYGOLUCKY

• Budding Addict
  • Modinators make Jesus cry.
    • PEPE'S LAND
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2004, 08:21:48 AM »
Well Loon, I read your post and couldn't help but notice several grammar errors...

j/k. I think that as long as posts are readable, it's not a big deal. Understandably, some members are younger and don't yet have fully developed writing skills. After all, this isn't english class. However, that's not an excuse to post illegible crap or stream-of-conciousness rambling, just because it's easier and requires less work. Again, a function of maturity. Personally, I only kid around about jacked-up posts, except when one person beats another member over a post. I despise pedants (kids, look it up  ;)).

I think you're post is right on the money. But, I would submit that a board which plays nice and has interesting discussions will attract a larger crowd of new members. It is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I think Judau was referring to the members who have been here a while. They are senior in their knowledge and experience here. I don't think they are "senior" in the sense that they are better than anyone else. They should be helping the newbs and running this place by creating the right environment. A mod is important, but shouldn't need to get personally involved in every thread to keep things running.

Judau (who's less cool than me  :P) and CGoten (if he's still alive) are pretty kick-back guys. I don't think  they're too concerned with "rank" of members here. That's what keeps this place neato.

Well, that's what I think anyways. BTW, congrats on your use of the latin pluralization of forum. Grammar Ninja is impressed.  ;D
OHHH, The Drama!

Waya475

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2004, 08:26:25 AM »
The whole naruto ninja ranking is getting used everywhere.  I think we should switch to something else....

Offline Zackies

• Addict
  • Horray!
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 08:30:51 AM »
JT sucked anyways.

Offline Ruri

• Meega na la Kweesta!
  • Addict
  • Gao~
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2004, 08:50:07 AM »
Ohkies-My 2 cents...

When it comes to "Senior Members" first of all, I think of it as...the people here who have been here (not necessarily the longest) but are also most knowledgable about this board in particular, rather than in other boards.  Of course, experience in other boards can't be all that bad either.  But, not necessarily ones who have been here from the start, but ones who have been here, and have experienced the many phases of this board, and have learned from it.  Unfortunately, there might be some who have been here from the beginning, been through those phases, and not learned a single thing.  Those I would NOT consider Senior Members.  You are correct, age does not matter but what you post, and the content of your post, does.  Basically, in my eyes, your post determines how old you are, not how many years you've been out of your mothers womb.

And yes, grammer does mean a lot.  As much as many would not like to think so, or as hard as it might be to believe that, when it comes to forums, and typing what you have to say rather than just saying it, tells people your intelligence level.  No one is perfect. (Or so I've heard the Fonz was ::) :P) Plenty of people make corrections for someone else.

Part of what I mean is that your maturity, sense of humor (you don't have to be funnie-just the way you use it), content, and how knowledgable or dumb (in that matter) you make yourself out to be is important.  It effects everyone's perception upon you, and yea, it can affect whether this would be a lasting board, or a board flushed down the crapper.  I agree with ami; there are people that are 18 or older that have the maturity of a 5 y/o (That's sad imo).  But there are also people who are younger, that are knowledgable, and you know, you would think they were the older one.  That, or they just have experience with boards.  I don't think I can say much about it, since I myself am pretty young...but eh, that's my opinion /sarcasm  Though, unhinged is also correct in that, some people just need time and guidance on this board, so that they may learn, mature, and maybe contribute a little more to this board than just their love life, spam, or any kind of angst.  That's where senior members come in ;)

This board is for discussion.  Not your personal "live journal."

Whether this board will succeed or not, mainly depends on the members. (Obviously)  It's not like anyone specific is trying to bring the board down (well, there might be ^^; ) There are plenty that want the board to stay, and become better, like myself, but it's hard to even begin to ponder whether it'll last due to the insubstantial "heated discussions" that break out.

Besides, I thought that ranking and the giving of promotions/position were done by the admin.  Well, at least there's a discussion about it beforehand. o_O;

I know I said basically what everyone else did, but, different wording! :P ;D heh heh
And sorry if any of my grammer/spelling is incorrect :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 11:25:01 AM by Uber Ewok »