Author Topic: Snoopy's Update  (Read 2576 times)

Waya475

Snoopy's Update
« on: August 17, 2004, 06:53:03 AM »
Alright, over at Snoopy Cool, Snoopy did a rant that I have been wanting to hear from the higher ups for a LONG time.  I completely agree with many of the points.  These new groups sprouting up and stealing projects are really bugging me.  I think there was a quote from Evil Genius....telling groups to "hurry the fuck up or else get their project stolen.  It is just good manners".  I don't see how stealing a project is good manners.  If you want to see more, offer help.  Alot of scanlators have LIVES.  Although most of the time, the quality of these rival scans suck, people will STILL download them, and that disgusts me.  So how does everyone else feel on the scanlation scene right about now?

Offline nahus

• Canadian. Blame Him.
  • Clean
Re:Snoopy's Update
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 09:09:06 PM »
copy paste please? Can't find it over at their site anymore =(

Waya475

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 09:12:41 PM »
Now then, time for serious... er... time. I know that I'm old-fashioned in the way I think of things, and I'll admit that. I'm also extremely close-minded when it comes to things that I feel strongly about, so I'm admitting that, too. However there are some things that I've been wanting to get off my chest for a very long time, and they all involve the manga community so I'd appreciate it if you guys'd give me the time of day for a second.

And if you're still reading this, I thank you. On to business. There are some things moving in the manga scanlation community that aren't well recieved by yours truly. The largest one being the rabid 'stealing' of projects (for lack of a better term, and yes I do understand the extreme irony of mentioning thievery). Now... to fans, it just doesn't seem to matter anymore. Because 99% of you are assholes. Maybe not in real life, but stick you in front a computer screen and put an electronic bag over your head and you become Carrot Top mixed with Howard Stern with a little racist thrown in for good measure. Why do I say this? Because 'fans' are the ones that are doing this. Fans are the ones that come into the communit, look at there 2 years of high school Japanese classes and think they can do what we do. Then they can't think of what to work on, so they steal their favorite series off some other group's list. Now, what is 'stealing' as it is defined in the manga community, you ask? Good question. You see, there are two ways to take a project from another group and make it your own. One is a fair competition where each participant is put on the same starting line yet begins to run at the sound of different starting guns. The other is like having one person run with the Olympic torch and then tackling him when he gets to the stairs to the big torch and stealing the little torch so you can be the one that lights it in the end. Do you get my analogy? If not, the bad stealing is starting where another group leaves off without that group dropping the project. The good stealing... or rather, un-bad stealing, is when a group starts a project at the beginning even though another group is doing that project already. While to the fans, the second kind is pointless, to us, the scanslators it's like a showing of respect (although we still don't like it...). It's saying to the other group "You're not going as fast as I'd like you to, but I respect that you've done ~blank~ amount of this series, so I won't take advantage of that." Yet starting where they are is like saying "Thanks for getting this series popular, I'll be taking over from here whether you like it or not."

Now, why does this piss me off when no one has really done this to my group? Because I really really do love this community. I've watched it grow on foundations of respect and friendly competitions between groups and individuals, and then out of no where new groups have begun sprouting up and pissing on everything that's been built for them. Have any of you assholes ever heard of 'communication'!? If you think a group is going too slow and you can do something about it, then why the fuck didn't you offer to help!? Instead you see it as an opportunity to grab a giant fanbase without doing any work at all!? That just doesn't sit right with me. There are tens of thousands of mangas available for translation, yet everyone seems to think that the only ones worth doing are already being done. Jezus christ, if you look in the lists of national manga award winners in Japan, you'll see that 75 percent of them aren't being translated right now. Why? Because all of you are too busy translating Shounen Jump.

My other complaint is actually related to that one in a way. It's the sheer number of groups that have joined the community. Now don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see the community growing at such an incredible rate, but most of you smaller groups simply don't need to be 'groups'. It's just plain counterproductive. Especially the tiny groups that have maybe 2 people and as many projects. You guys would be so much better off simply joining another group and bringing your work with you. Large groups simply make things easier. If you need scans, the odds of finding someone in the group's list of scanners willing to help you is far better than looking on your own. If you need editing or translation help, you have a built-in panel of experts right at your fingertips. And ultimately your work will get to more people thanks to the group's built-in fanbase. It just doesn't make any sense for there to be a hundred little groups when you could all combine into a few dozen larger groups based on your genre preferences. And if you can't decide who to make 'leader', then just set up a name that all of you will release your work under and all work out of a 'group' channel.

*Sigh~* OK. I think I'm done. Sorry for the long-windedness of it all and I promise you won't be forced into reading my opinions too often.

Offline Kiba84

• Clean
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 05:12:52 PM »
Actually i agreed with snoopy's opinion, rather then a thousand groups of ten people ten groups of a hundred would work better. That isnt to say that if someone found a new manga that they loved they cant try to raise interest in it by highlighting it and maybe even translating a chapter or two but when you have 30+ groups doing Naruto it becomes silly.

Waya475

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 05:13:57 PM »
I recently got into a fight with some friends against a guy who works for Evil Genius.  He called Stephen of Gantz fame a "Babel Boy".  What a fucking moron.  

WE BORROW PROJECTS :B

What fucking douches.

http://www.toriyamaworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12840&start=1

It is a bit further down.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 05:14:52 PM by Waya475 »

Offline OTenshi

• Clean
  • I'm a good little monkey, I swear!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 07:06:17 PM »
At the risk of sounding stupid isn't the use of Bablefish (notorious for it's terribly literal translations causing significant changes in the content of what you're inputting) the point of the joke Stephen was making?

Waya475

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 07:08:41 PM »
Stephen is one of the best translators on the net.  Accusing him of using babel fish, though not seriously and just as an insult, is like saying michaelangelo used crayola crayons to make shitty art.