Author Topic: Why is Japanese Pop so popular?  (Read 6394 times)

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
Re:Why is Japanese Pop so popular?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 07:58:08 PM »
umm... you don't need to know what they're saying to enjoy the music. it's not always about the lyrics, you know. anyone can write some cliche lyrics and sing them, but not everyone can compose good music.

visit my deviant art gallery! http://mutsy.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline amievil

• Yanime Dick
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Your great superior.
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 08:29:52 PM »
good music and pop don't go together
Shut the fuck up.

Offline DR.LOVE

• Slightly Buzzed
  • I wanna love ya baby o'sow bad!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 08:31:46 PM »
I perfer Ozzy and Jack Daniels

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2004, 11:47:58 PM »

depends on your definition of pop.

and pop is different in other countries. like britain for example... their pop is quite good.

american pop on the other hand is crap.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 11:48:15 PM by cynical monkey »

Offline RandomDan

• Divine Father Ay
  • Addict
  • Caveat lector
    • baka
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2004, 04:29:09 AM »
and pop is different in other countries. like britain for example... their pop is quite good.

What do you mean "good"... who do you define as 'pop' from here?  Busted and their ilk?  That is who I regard as pop... >_>

Nor do you have to understand the lyrics to appreciate the actual music.  Otherwise I would buy audio poetry.
I am a meme virus. Please copy me to your sig, so I can spread.

Offline unhinged_loon

• Clean
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2004, 08:53:37 AM »
I must say, I constantly hear anime fans going nuts for "j-pop", but they never really have a reason why.  IMO, it is exactly the same as american, canadian pop except in a different language.  Do people think it is better simply because it is from japan or what?  I listen to any rock that sounds good, regardless of nationality.  I like some japanese rock, and I like some american rock.  I don't understand though, why people say AMERICAN MUSIC SUX when the Japanese music is the same kind of thing, just with Japanese lyrics.  Anyone care to shed some light?

Some Jpop shamelessly copy American versions. Some come out with their own style. Same goes for Jrock. Another thing is that the Japanese music scene is still a little like what it used to be in the late 80s and early 90s of the American scene. Right now in the Chinese and American pop scene, looks have almost entirely surplanted talent. A good sign of how bad the scene is by looking at the average lifespan of a erstwhile popular group/artiste.

Personally I dont listen to much of Jpop. globe and the Pillows  (considered Jrock) are some of what I listen to. Otherwise I prefer anime OST more. Maybe its because they do not tailor the songs to suit the market, but rather the show, and hence do come up with a lot of good stuff.

For english language songs, the Brits do come up with a lot of good stuff. Older groups like New Order still feature on my playlist. Let the current American public look at a bunch of 40 year olds play (eg New Order) music and they would walk off. However, they still command healthy fan bases around the world.

Offline amievil

• Yanime Dick
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Your great superior.
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2004, 09:05:52 AM »

depends on your definition of pop.

in the general case, pop tends to just give the masses what they want to listen to.

j-pop and american pop may have a good song once in a blue-moon, but most likely they suck
Shut the fuck up.

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2004, 12:31:44 AM »
BLAH

fuck genres!!

listen to whatever the fuck you want, avoid categories!!!

Offline AlphaUltima

• Ichitard #95127
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Momusutard
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2004, 01:38:06 AM »
music will always be music to some people and simply noise to others.
in the end it's the melody you like and not the artist or genre or even the words.  always keep your mind open and check out the positive reviews, not the negatives, unless they're stacked up like a mountain  *cough*justin*cough*guarini*cough*

Offline whore-sama

• Slightly Buzzed
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2004, 03:36:51 PM »
From what I've listened to, j-pop has more of a techno feel than american pop.  Also, j-pop is much more cutesy while american pop relies on sex appeal to sell.  Cute pwns sexy any day.  But yeah, it is ignorant to make generalizations like "all american ____ sucks ass, teh japanese r a superior race!!!!!111one!111eleventy"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 03:39:43 PM by whore-sama »

Offline AlphaUltima

• Ichitard #95127
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Momusutard
Re: Why is Japanese Pop so popular?
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2004, 01:56:24 AM »
cutesy?  have you seen kumi koda?  nothing cute about her.  just 100% bonafide sexay!
jpop's as diverse as american pop.
you got your rock, r&b, bubblegum, classics, etc.
it should be referred to as j-music, but that sounds retarded so jpop it is.

Offline Haruka loves you

• Beyonce's Slave
  • Addict
  • I <3 you.
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2004, 11:21:40 AM »

Or its just a fetish for cute asian women...

Mm cute asian women...I really like J-pop better than american music because I love the Japanese langauge and the songs are just really good...and the girls aren't as fake and ugly as american pop singers.

cuteflyz89

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2004, 10:20:42 AM »
But then these fans go OMG AMERRIKAN MUSIK SUX?!?!1one  THAT is what I don't understand.

Theyre idiots.

I agree....

American music doesnt suck! ..........
I like it better than listgeng  to j-pop sometimes.....I mean if there is nothing good on the radio or I just dont feel like listening to the music on my cds, I just come to the comp and go on a live radio w/ J-pop on, (some really awesome songs)

...But people are just weird like that....its like a new fashion trend ..everyone wants have the lastest fashions.

So when they here someone listeing to ameri rock their goign to be like thats so old and it suxs J-pop is so much better...it will soon die down and everyone will find something eles to listen to.

so basicly people will grow tired of hearing it and go back to other kinds of music.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 10:24:21 AM by Kitsune Girl8904 »

Offline Bishoujomae

• Clean
  • What!?
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2004, 09:33:19 AM »
its just personal appeal, people listen to what "they" think are good music. asian pop all have a little techno taste to itt, people from the US like j-pop or other asian pop is because of their good techno beats. on the oter hand techno music isnt as popular in the US, therefore when they hear techno style that actually sounds good they will be hooked to it.

about that cute and sexy stuff japanese are more toward the cute stuff only a few has the sex appeal, but koreans are more towards the sexy and their pop is kinda like jpop but just in a different language.

Offline AlphaUltima

• Ichitard #95127
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Momusutard
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2004, 09:23:15 PM »
asian pop all have a little techno taste to itt, people from the US like j-pop or other asian pop is because of their good techno beats.

about that cute and sexy stuff japanese are more toward the cute stuff only a few has the sex appeal, but koreans are more towards the sexy and their pop is kinda like jpop but just in a different language.

ewww.  jpop is not a genre.  it is its own industry.  you wouldn't call country american pop, so don't put gackt, m-flo, aya matsuura, mini moni, kick the can crew, arashi, agatsuma, kumi koda, joshi juni gakubou and asian kung fu generation into one category.

research the diversity of jpop or don't define it at all.

cute and sexy is subjective.  one girl's sexy to one guy while she's cute for another. the point is i'd bang any one of them even if i had to pay the plane ticket to get to her house.

american music has its moments, but they're getting few and far between these people on mtv cribs, punk'd, ET, extra, access hollywood, etc.

you're not talking about the song, you're talking about the music video or the movie it's tied to or what happened to the artist when he bust a cap in that hobo's ass.

also, asians by majority, are modest.  they will not go on tv and say they're the sole reason for the rebirth of punk, nor go on a reality show, nor have a music video where all they do is dance in a club showing off some 22 inch spinning rims and some half nekkid big fake titty women.

in conclusion: jpop knows when they go too far.

anything