Author Topic: Why is Japanese Pop so popular?  (Read 6381 times)

Waya475

Why is Japanese Pop so popular?
« on: August 13, 2004, 02:47:17 PM »
I must say, I constantly hear anime fans going nuts for "j-pop", but they never really have a reason why.  IMO, it is exactly the same as american, canadian pop except in a different language.  Do people think it is better simply because it is from japan or what?  I listen to any rock that sounds good, regardless of nationality.  I like some japanese rock, and I like some american rock.  I don't understand though, why people say AMERICAN MUSIC SUX when the Japanese music is the same kind of thing, just with Japanese lyrics.  Anyone care to shed some light?

Offline Steven

• Resident Igo Enthusiast
  • Addict
  • What her outstretched hand embodies is...
Re:Why is Japanese Pop so popular?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 02:49:59 PM »
A different language can always make something popular.  In any country top chart songs have one or two lines in a foreign language.... the mystery of it must add to the appeal I guess...

Waya475

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 02:54:17 PM »
But then these fans go OMG AMERRIKAN MUSIK SUX?!?!1one  THAT is what I don't understand.

Offline Final Saiyyan

• Addict
  • barges can own
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 03:08:37 PM »
ive heard quite a bit of j-pop, some of the ones people seem to like a lot are pretty weird and wonderful, maybe its just seems like a whole new experience listening to foreign music in which you have no idea what their talking about...

or because their favourite singers only speak japanese, so they havent much of an option  ???

-
To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad. - Jack Handy

Offline CCLemon

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Translator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 09:26:51 PM »
But then these fans go OMG AMERRIKAN MUSIK SUX?!?!1one  THAT is what I don't understand.

Theyre idiots.

Lovely.

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 10:45:27 PM »
well, there are differences. though sometimes subtle.

just like how rock music from britain sounds different than rock music from the united states.

but me, i just listen to whatever the hell i like. as long as it sounds good.

visit my deviant art gallery! http://mutsy.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline zeta

• Empress Of California
  • Addict
  • I'm alive!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 03:18:51 AM »
Because we don't know what they are saying...

The pop crap in the US is in English and thus we know the songs are poorly written dogshit. But in Japanese and other languages we don't know what they are saying so it sounds better.

Or its just a fetish for cute asian women...
Hello!

Offline Brain of GTO

• Butthole Eliminator
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • So Fast, So Numb
    • Page of Insignificant Stuff
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 02:21:49 PM »
Who cares? I listen to alot of Britsh music (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead etc.) as well as American and a little bit of Japanese music. In fact I have this Escaflowne movie soundtrack (from the Ultimate Edition DVD that I bought) that I still have yet to listen to.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 02:22:56 PM by Fukadas knight »
I spend half my life figuring what comes next

http://brainofgto.proboards46.com

Offline Zackies

• Addict
  • Horray!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 02:38:57 PM »
Because we don't know what they are saying...

Wrong.

Alot of j-pop listeners go on sites that provide the AMERICAN lyrics for the japanese songs they listen to. So, what you suggested isn't the case.

Offline zeta

• Empress Of California
  • Addict
  • I'm alive!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 03:01:56 PM »
English! American is a nationality, English is a language!
Hello!

Offline cynical monkey

• Radiohead Freak
  • Seriously Addicted
  • monkeys.
    • deviant art gallery
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 04:40:59 PM »
well technically we speak american. just because... we don't speak true english, and our way of talking is very different from people in england. who are english. um. yeah.

but whatever... i don't think language has much to do with the music. except, crazy otakus with obsessions for anything japanese probably like it for the language.

visit my deviant art gallery! http://mutsy.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline zeta

• Empress Of California
  • Addict
  • I'm alive!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2004, 04:44:01 PM »
Must I alert the linguistics departments of major universities of this travesty?
Hello!

Offline RandomDan

• Divine Father Ay
  • Addict
  • Caveat lector
    • baka
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 04:59:48 PM »
Must I alert the linguistics departments of major universities of this travesty?

Why not?  They are more than likely aware of it.  For what it is worth, Nikki is right, there are differences (linguistic/grammatical/spelling etc.) between Commonwealth English and American English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_differences

I am a meme virus. Please copy me to your sig, so I can spread.

Offline AnimeLover19

• Slightly Buzzed
  • complex one....
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2004, 05:07:46 PM »
Well? I like j-pop b/c it sounds cool. Of course, I like Japanese rock WAY better than American rock b/c you can actually HEAR and understand the word they are saying in the song. And in American rock, I swear I can't undertsand a DAMN WORD the singer is saying?! It's just wierd and annoying. But not ALL american music sux? I disagree with that. I like american music too AND many other languages songs too. And sometimes the rhythm (sp) of J-pop is really good..(i'm the type that likes good beat..) so yeah, that's why I like J-pop, but I never say it's BETTER than Amrican music? well, except rock...lol. Ja ne! ^_~

Their love will always be......forever and ever.....¤~§~¤

Waya475

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 06:20:24 PM »
Well? I like j-pop b/c it sounds cool. Of course, I like Japanese rock WAY better than American rock b/c you can actually HEAR and understand the word they are saying in the song. And in American rock, I swear I can't undertsand a DAMN WORD the singer is saying?! It's just wierd and annoying. But not ALL american music sux? I disagree with that. I like american music too AND many other languages songs too. And sometimes the rhythm (sp) of J-pop is really good..(i'm the type that likes good beat..) so yeah, that's why I like J-pop, but I never say it's BETTER than Amrican music? well, except rock...lol. Ja ne! ^_~

But you don't understand what the Japanese singers are saying.  You may be able to pick out words, but you don't understand what they are saying.  In fact, english rock is easier for me to pick out words from.  I can memorize lyrics.  However with Japanese rock, I only pick out words like Bokura, keredo, koroko, etc.

anything