Author Topic: Tokyopop contest thingy  (Read 3831 times)

Offline RedMonkey

• Clean
  • Fear the Red Monkey!
Tokyopop contest thingy
« on: August 10, 2004, 02:17:57 PM »
I was wondering, has anyone in this forum ever enetered that Tokyopop Rising Star contest?
Oh, where art thou RedMonkey?

Offline PrinJess

• Cloud of Nightmares
  • Addict
  • Eh? Hrmm...
    • Ocean Healer
Re:Tokyopop contest thingy
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 02:22:25 PM »
Me and Waffo planned on making one, but planning the background was what threw us off. She draws trees really good, but we need more than just a tree.

Swim upsteam, for the beginning starts there.

Waya475

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 02:56:04 PM »
I don't believe in foreigners making manga, the foreigners being white/black/other asians etc.  I feel it is a japanese art form, and it should stay that way.

Offline windraver

• Clean
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 08:50:38 PM »
contest?...  tokyopop?... replying to waya... art is art... doesn't matter who it comes from... its the art that counts... my opinion... sorry if it offends you in anyway... gomen...

chi

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 08:56:19 PM »
Me and Waffo planned on making one, but planning the background was what threw us off. She draws trees really good, but we need more than just a tree.

You could have talking trees!
*Note: Lame suggestion by a jelous  person who wants to join the contest but is LAZY

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 12:53:14 PM »
Nah, everyone loves to read stuff about trees growing.  I'll just do that.  Every once in a while, I'll draw a dot that's supposed to be a bird!

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me
"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
Currently playing: Rewrite

Offline VW_Kidd

• Japan Bound
  • Addict
  • ...dakara...
    • Chained Bishounen
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 12:25:02 PM »
To Waya: as long as someone loves manga and isn't using another language for the art form (i.e. Americanized names, non-Japanese onomatopoeic phrases or culture, etc.) then I'm fine with foreigners drawing it.  As for the Tokyopop contest...How often does it come around?  I'm hoping to enter my own manga next time.
My Myspace

Join Gaia today and tell them VW_Kid referred you.

Offline RedMonkey

• Clean
  • Fear the Red Monkey!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 02:34:19 PM »
I don't believe in foreigners making manga, the foreigners being white/black/other asians etc.  I feel it is a japanese art form, and it should stay that way.

lol, trust me, there are some VERY talented artists in the U.S. and some VERY talented story tellers in the U.S., they're just not known, manga to many of us might be that if theres a japanese person doing it, then its manga, but truly,  the big problem to this is that not many of these talented artists in the U.S. have the determination as the people in Japan. You dont really see any mangas made here that has the style, story and charm. THATS BCUZ MANY OF THEM STUDY UP JOBS IN OTHER MAJORS waaaaaahhhhhh!!! My friend who can draw (I mean he CAN DRAW) is now an engineer..... Its bcuz unless ur working with a huge comic company, a lone comic artiest doesn't make that much money here and our pop culture dont focus on manga as much as music and movies. Sure mangas popular here, but music and movies take the cake.
      If you read the First volume of the Rising Star manga, Devil's Candy, had all those great manga aspects and the arthurs are from Texas( I think it was texas, i forgot).

Offline Noose

• Budding Addict
  • : D
    • The Gutter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 09:19:53 PM »
I thought about entering before. I have a lot of stories, and characters and such made, but I haven't actually made a whole comic yet. I'm too busy to do it now, though.

Waya: Go tell the Japanese to quit using light bulbs. They're our thing, not theirs. ^_^

Waya475

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 01:48:07 PM »
Alright.  The whole EXCLUSIVE ART THING may have sounded a bit odd, but the majority of foreigners have NO idea how hard it is to make it in the manga business, or how the business operates.

What I consider to be "manga", Japanese definition aside, would be along these lines

Excluding doujinshi and special volume works, if you can make a chapter of manga every week/month *20 pages or so weekly, or aroud 50 per month* with mostly decent art, keep up a story, popularity (so you don't get cancelled), write it in Japanese, work VERY hard, (this goes especially for weekly titles), THEN I might be able to consider it manga.  But seeing as how the majority of people don't understand the effort and work that goes into the manga industry, I just CANNOT accept their work to be manga.  It will be a comic.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 01:48:29 PM by Waya475 »

Offline Sola

• Clean
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 01:49:29 PM »
Anyone who is not Japanese who thinks they can be a mangaka are wrong.  Moreover, the idiots participating in these stupid contests... well.  I'll stop there.

You are not a mangaka if you are foriegn.  You are a comic book artist.  So quit trying to be Japanese, idiots.

From what I have seen on Tokyopop's site, all the manga look distinctly American, and probably do not have the same feel at all.  They're probably also littered with basic, overused phrases like "BAKA BAKA!!" and "ARIGATO" and "KAWAII". (Which, sadly, Tokyopop has done, like adding "kawaii" instead of just TRANSLATING it to cute.)  Believe me, I have (unfortunately) seen those shows like Totally Spies! and they are the worst kind of imitation ever.  Everything is forced and Americanized.  The random sweat drops and over used veins are very irritating and not placed well at all.

You see, in Korea, they have manwha.  They are not manga.  And the shit being produced by these Cardcaptor Sakura loving morons are comic books, not manga.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 01:54:04 PM by Waya475 »

Offline RedMonkey

• Clean
  • Fear the Red Monkey!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 02:27:22 AM »
Anyone who is not Japanese who thinks they can be a mangaka are wrong.  Moreover, the idiots participating in these stupid contests... well.  I'll stop there.

You are not a mangaka if you are foriegn.  You are a comic book artist.  So quit trying to be Japanese, idiots.

From what I have seen on Tokyopop's site, all the manga look distinctly American, and probably do not have the same feel at all.  They're probably also littered with basic, overused phrases like "BAKA BAKA!!" and "ARIGATO" and "KAWAII". (Which, sadly, Tokyopop has done, like adding "kawaii" instead of just TRANSLATING it to cute.)  Believe me, I have (unfortunately) seen those shows like Totally Spies! and they are the worst kind of imitation ever.  Everything is forced and Americanized.  The random sweat drops and over used veins are very irritating and not placed well at all.

You see, in Korea, they have manwha.  They are not manga.  And the shit being produced by these Cardcaptor Sakura loving morons are comic books, not manga.

To be honest, I dun like the current american manga companies, (tokyopop, Viz, Dark Horse, etc) But thats what we have. I always invisioned a company made up of serious manga fans who dun strife fr money, but the love of it. This can elimanate the weird americanized crap in most mangas that gets translated. But of course, money is basically water today, ppl need it. The other point of japanese-made-mangas= true mangas, thats basically like saying Chinese-made-fried-rice= True Chinese food......u ever notice thoses mexican chefs beyond some of your favorite chinese restraunt doors??  What true manga has is Art, story, character and that grueling deadlines Waya mentioned.
   The Art(style) department is covered, since foriegners can actually draw like many manga artists u see today.  
   Stories are made from imaginations, all it takes is a good one and you have a great plot.
   Character design, personality, etc is also imagination, unless humans in American and other countries all have a brain tumor that prevents them to have imagination.
   These three concepts are what I find to be a base in a manga. The other thing is what Waya said, the crap'in crazy deadlines that mangakas in Japan face. That depends on someone's enviroment, if a comic book artits was subjected to this rush for couple of years, is he or she going to get worse?? Many times not, if u were to draw everyday, ur art gets worse? No! It wont. What I am seriously stress'in is the belief only japanese people can make mangas.........the only reason we all have this envision is bcuz their are just LITERALLY MINI POCKETFULL of foriegners try'in for becomin a mangaka. Or at least none that have surfaced yet. I do agree that many foriegners made mangs today(i only have seen a few) arn't exactly so strong in all the three catogories i talked about. They just hype off of stereotypes.
                     BUT! think this; 6 billion (i think) people, Civilization dosen't llok like its on brink of destruction, lots more future talents born everyday, U ppl still think that Manga is still a japanese skill, well.......maybe it'll just take time for it this belief to be broken.

Offline Spike Spiegel

• Addict
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 02:39:53 PM »
How do you enter it?

Filippo Inzaghi is da man. Also, Italy is da man. AC Milan is also da man just as equally.