Author Topic: Recipes?  (Read 18371 times)

Offline noisy_mouse

• Clean
  • Squeak.
Recipes?
« on: July 20, 2004, 12:14:09 PM »
So, who here has tried any of the recipes in addicted to curry?

People might not trust a recipe that they got from a manga, and I guess it's a weird idea, but I have indeed tried a few and they do work out nicely..... I've made keema matar, chicken curry and a modified lassi (translated as rassi for some reason) It might be just a manga, but the recipes are real and authentic and work out quite nicely. ^_^

Manga AND cooking, two of my favorite things, combined into one product. *siiiiiigh.* (^__^)

Offline Waffo

• 25% Unknown
  • Seriously Addicted
  • Average ocarinist
    • MyAnimeList profile
Re:Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 12:38:44 PM »
You mean it's edible?  Then I'll give one of the recipes to my mom to make sometime...

"My brain told me there was a chair behind me but halfway to the floor, my brain told me it lied." -Me
"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
Currently playing: Rewrite

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 04:51:01 PM »
People might not trust a recipe that they got from a manga, and I guess it's a weird idea, but I have indeed tried a few and they do work out nicely..... I've made keema matar, chicken curry and a modified lassi (translated as rassi for some reason) It might be just a manga, but the recipes are real and authentic and work out quite nicely. ^_^

Wow, you're the first person I know of that has tried these recipes. ^_^;;

cccnnn would be proud, if he wasn't gone right now. =(

Offline rice_demon

• Clean
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 05:34:51 PM »
i guess im not the only one that tried making the curry ^^

i also tried the  keema matar

it turned out to be seasoned ground beef to i added my own stuff

try adding coconut milk for a nice tasting curry ^^

Offline noisy_mouse

• Clean
  • Squeak.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 02:41:24 PM »
Yeah man, they're great recipes! They are indeed very edible. They might be from a manga but they're real, tasty recipes that won't make you sick (as someone keeps warning about underneath each volume 3 recipe ^_^). Well, I don't know about that squid ink one, that looks kind of weird. ^_^

Seriously though, the mangaka didn't just make these up. I'm so grateful to yanime (and solaris) for translating this for us.... an interesting manga AND food, the two things I love most. Yay!

Mmmmm, coconut milk.... Incidentally.... coffee an chocolate added to curry really do make it taste good. Nice and rich. I tried to serve some "chocolate enhanced" curry to my husband but I made the mistake of telling him beforehand what was in it, and he refused to try it. It doesn't end up tasting like a hershey bar, really!

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 04:24:08 PM »
Yeah man, they're great recipes! They are indeed very edible. They might be from a manga but they're real, tasty recipes that won't make you sick (as someone keeps warning about underneath each volume 3 recipe ^_^). Well, I don't know about that squid ink one, that looks kind of weird. ^_^

Seriously though, the mangaka didn't just make these up. I'm so grateful to yanime (and solaris) for translating this for us.... an interesting manga AND food, the two things I love most. Yay!

Mmmmm, coconut milk.... Incidentally.... coffee an chocolate added to curry really do make it taste good. Nice and rich. I tried to serve some "chocolate enhanced" curry to my husband but I made the mistake of telling him beforehand what was in it, and he refused to try it. It doesn't end up tasting like a hershey bar, really!

Haha... Again, it's nice to see people trying these recipes. =p

Offline mitac

• Clean
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 08:40:29 PM »
I've alway wondered if the recipes work, since it seems that it does I might give it a try.

Have you read Yakitate? One of the chapters show bread making with a rice cooker.  Not sure if that works too, anyone tried?

Offline im_biggy

• Clean
  • I'm The master of Cooking Manga...
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 04:15:16 PM »
I've tried every single recipe in all of them. I'll only post recipes i've read from 1-2 so i don't spoil what dishes will be in the next issues. if you want to know how any OTHER recipes turn out, feel free to post. (i own Manga 1-8, in my own language. sorry, no scanner :-\)

Basically, Early Recipes are relatively unrefined. later in the series, Funatsu Kazuki actually went on a sabbatical throughout India and SE Asia to do some research, and recipes become evidently much more accurate, from about books 4 onwards.

Recipes I Don't like: -
book 1: -
Baka Curry
Shroom Curry

book 2: -
Lassi

Baka Curry is very, very plain. i suggest adding some milk instead of water, grab the masher and make it into a Baka Mash. Delish.
Shroom curry is a bit on the plain side too. sautee the shrooms in butter first to add scent, Then follow the recipe. you might even want to add some oregano for that slightly italian taste.

There's nothing wrong with lassi, but there IS something with this recipe. I suggest using Milk instead of water to dilute the Yoghurt, which leaves the texture quite thick. also, use goat milk for extra credit.

Favourite Recipes: -
Book 1: -
Keema matar - basic, quick, functional and very very cheap.
Healthy Curry - impress you vegan Friends!

Book 2: -
Shrimp Curry - THIS is heavenly. on par with lobster bisque.

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
Re: Recipes?
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 11:45:38 PM »
Cg: Damn straight i would be proud!!

Honestly, you have no idea how much that means to me... the fact that people actually try our recipes.

Let me tell you, i pretty much did all the tl work for the recipes from from volume 1, 2, and half of three...they are literally the hardest things to translate (and edit).  I mean, the editors would bitch about how there's no point in translating the recipes, but i knew there are culinary fanactics out there (such as myself) who would actually try the recipes.

;D

Offline noisy_mouse

• Clean
  • Squeak.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 10:04:57 AM »
Really honestly, I think half of my intrest in the manga is due entirely to the recipes.... ^__^

Incidentally guys: I talked to someone who tried the pumpkin curry recipe but didn't have fresh pumpkin so they used canned....

Don't used canned, it doesn't work out good, nice fresh halloween pumpkin (because where else are we gonna find pumpkin?) makes a yummy curry.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 12:44:39 PM by Kawachi475 »

Offline enderschaos

• Clean
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 08:34:59 AM »
I love the recipies!  I've only made the ground beef curry so far, but I loved it, as did my friends.  In regards to the recipies though, it appears there is two different types of curry powder....but I only have Indian curry powder and that was all I found at the 2 groceries I checked.

Anyone know what the other curry powder (the main one they seem to use) is or can be found? (I wouldn't mind ordering online for it)

Thanks.

Offline noisy_mouse

• Clean
  • Squeak.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 08:39:22 AM »
I'm not sure what they're talking about either. When it calls for plain "curry powder" I always use common store-bought curry powder, and when it calls for "indian curry powder" I use one of a mix of different kinds of curry seasoning pastes that I have recipes for, depending on the recipe and my mood. I have no idea what exactly they mean by Indian Curry Powder, but my curry pastes seem to fit in the with recipe and taste good, so that's good enough for me. ^__^

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 04:43:38 PM »
Regarding the "curry powder" and "indian curry powder":

keeping in mind that Curry is a manga made in Japan, there are probably different curry powders that are available to the Japanese consumers.  Althougn I am not an authority on this issue, I would suppose the Japanese have a "typical" curry powder used in Japanese curry (not too spicy, since spicy foods is not very well-accepted in Japanese cuisine).  The "Indian curry powder" would most likely be the original spice mix that Indians used, which would be considered VERY spicy by the Japanese.

With that said, i guess "curry powder" should be viewed as "mild curry powder" and indian curry powder would be "hot curry powder".

Offline Mujakisan1

• Clean
  • "Ne, ne, ne...Juusho to denwa bangou wa?!"
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 11:01:13 PM »
I recently tried the Keema Matar.  But i substituted the ground beef with ground Turkey  :P and to the turkey i add some parsley and a little pepper.  The curry came out really good and my family liked it a lot.  Nobody knew it was turkey though which was really funny ;D

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 09:04:33 AM »
Haha... what a great idea... i should invent Mystery Meat Curry.  ;D

anything