Author Topic: Recipes?  (Read 18340 times)

Offline Mujakisan1

• Clean
  • "Ne, ne, ne...Juusho to denwa bangou wa?!"
Re: Recipes?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 09:39:54 AM »
Haha... what a great idea... i should invent Mystery Meat Curry.  ;D

That would be funny ;D  Take pictures of it.  Maybe we could guess what it is. lol

Offline Hoi Hoi

• Clean
  • Demented Panda
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2005, 09:45:27 PM »
I have a question for those who have actually made the Curry... in the Keema Matar recipie it says to use Bay Leaves... I was wondering if those can be found at any old grocery store or if I should go to a specialty store for it.

This is from the AWESOME manga/anime Gantz... (Not sure if Linking is allowed or not n.n; but if you're interested in the Manga I can link ya to a Direct DL site)

Offline JaisBane

• Slightly Buzzed
  • Alpha <3 Penor
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2005, 09:53:49 PM »
Yeah, you can find those in the spice aisle, they're normally whole leaves in small glass jars like what they keep other spices in, but you can sometimes find them precrushed.  Not that you'd want to, the flavor lasts longer when they are stored whole, and the whole curry tastes better with freshly crushed bay leaves.  If you really want to go overboard, you can go to an herb shop, but if all you're making is the keema mater from the manga then you don't need the most expensive ingredients.  That's only for the crazy chileheads and curry afficianados.
I scoff at your pathetic signatures!

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2005, 06:06:14 PM »
Yeah, you can find those in the spice aisle, they're normally whole leaves in small glass jars like what they keep other spices in, but you can sometimes find them precrushed.  Not that you'd want to, the flavor lasts longer when they are stored whole, and the whole curry tastes better with freshly crushed bay leaves.  If you really want to go overboard, you can go to an herb shop, but if all you're making is the keema mater from the manga then you don't need the most expensive ingredients.  That's only for the crazy chileheads and curry afficianados.

Bayleafs are pretty common, you should be able to find some in a decent sized grocery store or supermarket...ask if you can't locate it yourself.

and CONTRARY to what Jais said, you usually do NOT crush bayleafs.  This is for the following reasons:
-bayleafs gives the food a more refreshing aroma but has very little impact on flavour; therefore, crushing it or leaving it intact makes little difference

-crushing bayleafs is redundant work to be done

-bayleafs is edible, but taste bad. they are usually removed after cooking... however, once you crushed the bayleafs into tiny bits, you can imagine this can be quite the endeavour.

Offline Mythril

• Clean
  • I love curry!
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2005, 07:37:07 AM »
I registered on this forum just to say that I have tried the Ground Beef Curry recipe two times. I never did follow the recipe completely though, I replaced/omitted/added some of the ingredients and didn't necessarily use the same amount or time, but the result is indeed edible. ;)

I'm still not quite satisfied with the taste of the curry, but I guess I can't really blame the recipe, since I'm not following it completely. I've always loved curry, but before I read this manga I always thought just adding curry powder should make things taste like curry, so I guess I do have learned something from it.

I'll probably just try adding the different helper ingredients to see if I can get a taste I'm more satisfied with. :D

I'd recommend this manga to my friends, if it weren't for the ecchi contents in it... ^^;

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2005, 07:19:56 PM »
I registered on this forum just to say that I have tried the Ground Beef Curry recipe two times. I never did follow the recipe completely though, I replaced/omitted/added some of the ingredients and didn't necessarily use the same amount or time, but the result is indeed edible. ;)

I'm still not quite satisfied with the taste of the curry, but I guess I can't really blame the recipe, since I'm not following it completely. I've always loved curry, but before I read this manga I always thought just adding curry powder should make things taste like curry, so I guess I do have learned something from it.

I'll probably just try adding the different helper ingredients to see if I can get a taste I'm more satisfied with. :D

I'd recommend this manga to my friends, if it weren't for the ecchi contents in it... ^^;

That's awesome.  Yeah, my Indian friends tell me that authentic curry (that they eat) aren't in powder form at all, but rather, curry is made when a whole lot of spices are cooked togther  ;D  Helper ingredients would definately help, I think there was one chapter in volume 1 or 2 where it had a listing of the various helper ingredients you can add to modify the taste...of course, ingredients are one thing, but having a knack for cooking is another althogether :P.

But yeah, since Curry is serialized in Weekly Young Jump (heavily targetted towards Japanese young adults), I think the recipes weren't meant to be for making 5-star cuisine, but rather for educating those males who are not so saavy in the kitchen (which is a large demographic ^^;; ).

Offline noisy_mouse

• Clean
  • Squeak.
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2005, 07:45:02 PM »
I have just made Nakao-ya Special Pork Curry (from the third volume).

It seems I have a knack for picking out to make for supper all the curry recipies that taste the same. The sauce for this curry tastes nearly the same as the sauce for the pumpkin curry and very similar to the sauce for the scallop curry. I have no idea why in the world you need to bake the onions and spices in the oven for almost an hour.... if it's to dry them out, what's the point, since you add it to the sauce right away? and if it's to infuse the taste of the spices with the onions, why can't you just pan-fry it like in every recipe?

So..... a bit time-consuming to make. I didn't realize that it needed to cook for so bloody long, so my supper was finished at eight o'clock instead of five thirty. :(  But it is a good recipe. Tasty. Sorry, I have no pictures of it to put up. ^_^

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2005, 08:48:58 PM »
I have just made Nakao-ya Special Pork Curry (from the third volume).

It seems I have a knack for picking out to make for supper all the curry recipies that taste the same. The sauce for this curry tastes nearly the same as the sauce for the pumpkin curry and very similar to the sauce for the scallop curry. I have no idea why in the world you need to bake the onions and spices in the oven for almost an hour.... if it's to dry them out, what's the point, since you add it to the sauce right away? and if it's to infuse the taste of the spices with the onions, why can't you just pan-fry it like in every recipe?

So..... a bit time-consuming to make. I didn't realize that it needed to cook for so bloody long, so my supper was finished at eight o'clock instead of five thirty. :(  But it is a good recipe. Tasty. Sorry, I have no pictures of it to put up. ^_^

well, you don't have to follow the recipes word for word :P
Personally, I use the recipes as a guideline more than anything else, especially if you're experienced in the kitchen.
But you usually bake(or boil) the curry sauce for reduction.  You are reducing the amount of water by evaporation so that the remaining sauce is thicker and much more flavourful...it's pretty much the same idea behind making chicken/fish/veal/beef/veggie stock :P

Offline noisy_mouse

• Clean
  • Squeak.
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2005, 12:45:33 AM »
Perhaps I missed something involved in the baking then? All the ingredients I put into the oven were basically dry, just onions, carrots, spices and flour. Oh well. Tasty in the end, so.....

Often I do add extra things that I like, but tonight I guess I was feeling uncreative and made it to the recipe.... If I had any, I would have put some apples into it though, I think that would have gone great.

Offline Mythril

• Clean
  • I love curry!
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2005, 01:58:08 AM »
Yeah, I always try to get myself to begin earlier when cooking curry. But yet I seldom am patient enough to let it cook long enough for the water to evaporate... erh, enough. :P Eh.

One Piece also had an anime episode on curry, btw. It must be fate!

Offline kryx

• Clean
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 04:39:47 AM »
I tried the curry chicken. It tasted really plain. I don't cook alot and so i was sort of troubled about how much salt/ curry powder i was meant to put in. I ended up putting spoonfuls of curry because the sauce was really plain.
Plus, is it just me or is one cup of tomato sauce alot of sauce? And one cup of oil is alot of oil! I was sorta amazed at how the taste came out. But my mum and sister said it tasted good and i don't know if its for politeness or for real.
Anyways, chicken cooks really fast but potatoes take a while on low heat. So i had to cook the potatoes separately.
I can't believe they were being serious when they said to add chocolate and coffee. I don't think i could ever eat that.  :-X You're pretty brave to have tried that.  ;D

Offline noisy_mouse

• Clean
  • Squeak.
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2005, 09:20:52 AM »
I didn't think the sauce was too much, but I was surprised by the amount of oil. Next time I make it I think I will probably use less. But I thought the chicken curry was tasty.

As for chocolate and coffee.... it seems like everyone I talk to about chocolate curry has the same reaction. Could someone seriously explain to me the aversion to adding chocolate? Is it because it's considered a dessert or something?? People add sugar to sauces. I really don't understand why the idea of chocolate makes so many people nervous. A little bit of chocolate improves the flavor so much.

Chaos

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2005, 09:50:24 PM »
take a curry and add- honey and apples, then throw in some "Suprise"
makes curry suprise
 ;D

Offline im_biggy

• Clean
  • I'm The master of Cooking Manga...
Indian Curry spice
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2005, 03:08:16 AM »
I found out what "indian Curry Spice" is!!!

It's a cinnamon-based mix of spices called Garam Masala, adding it to the curry REALLY gives it a wonderful kick!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garam_masala

Like the manga says, don't add too much or it will overpower the dish.

Offline Odd

• Psychic for Hire
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Humor Is the spice of life!
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 04:48:37 AM »
umm... that was gross, i really didn't like it... neither did my dad...
Follow. But. Follow only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.
~

anything