Author Topic: About the Ichigo release poll  (Read 5999 times)

Offline WillTRiker

• Clean
  • I'm a llama!
About the Ichigo release poll
« on: July 08, 2004, 04:53:51 AM »
I suppose we can't have it both ways with a weekly LQ release and when a book is released the 9 chapters re-released in HQ format?

I'm a bit astonished and dismayed that people would sacrifice quality over speed ... there are tons of other manga to read, anime to watch or other things to do ffs.

HQ all the way.

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
Re:About the Ichigo release poll
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 09:09:13 AM »
I suppose we can't have it both ways with a weekly LQ release and when a book is released the 9 chapters re-released in HQ format?

I was thinking about doing that. The only thing is, I don't personally wanna spend the time to scan and edit the same chapters twice.

If someone else is willing to scan from the books, I'd scan from Jump, or vice versa.

So... There's a good chance that we'll do a weekly LQ chapter then replace them with HQ chapters later on, but that'd only happen if someone else is willing to scan too.

Offline cccnnn

• tEh SlAvEdRiVeR
  • Addict
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 03:20:25 PM »
just hire a scanner  ::)

Offline AlphaUltima

• Ichitard #95127
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Momusutard
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 04:58:25 PM »
i'd hack and scan a tank when i can swipe...er..borrow my cousin's scanner again.
plus if you guys can make a donation of SIX dollars, i can get a spare tank to sacrifice for the greater good of all ichigo.
as for editing...i hate cleaning them up but i like type setting.
if you guys can do both ways you've got a better grip on all the leechers, including me.

Offline Motoko-chan

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 12:56:12 AM »
We have more than enough editors, all we need is someone to scan the tank (Besides, if we do both ways, the typesetting is minimal if we keep our weekly edits - just clean the new artwork and tweak the page). Expect the decision on what we do to be after volume 11.

On that note, the concern is that if we only do the hq tanks, some other group will do shitty weeklies and basically make our work superfluous. While you might still be loyal, most leechers are an impatient lot, and want it NOW, and wouldn't mind reading crap. If we do the weeklies, at least we might be able to keep some quality in the series.
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline AlphaUltima

• Ichitard #95127
  • Slightly Buzzed
  • Momusutard
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 03:04:26 AM »
the mangaka does make some minor tweaks in the tanks from the jump versions.
let's not forget the omake!

Offline sagara

• Clean
  • Mithril Enforcer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 04:37:08 AM »
On that note, the concern is that if we only do the hq tanks, some other group will do shitty weeklies and basically make our work superfluous. While you might still be loyal, most leechers are an impatient lot, and want it NOW, and wouldn't mind reading crap. If we do the weeklies, at least we might be able to keep some quality in the series.

motoko-chan has a point.  If the decision turn out to wait for the tanks to come in, some other group will release the low qualitiy ones and take over.

However I'm quite surprised that no other group is actually competing for ichigo at this point.

Offline Cgoten

• Hmm....
  • Addict
  • Hmm....
    • Yanime
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 04:47:17 PM »
However I'm quite surprised that no other group is actually competing for ichigo at this point.

Usually, people steal other group's projects when they're going too slow for the fan's taste. Considering how fast we've been releasing Ichigo, I should hope that most people are happy with it and don't want to make another version. ^_^;;

Waya475

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 06:34:02 PM »

Usually, people steal other group's projects when they're going too slow for the fan's taste. Considering how fast we've been releasing Ichigo, I should hope that most people are happy with it and don't want to make another version. ^_^;;

Those groups are a bunch of fucking douchebags.  They can all go to hell.

Offline ShinJun

• Clean
  • !g|\|0|24\|\c3 !5 |)347# !!!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 09:43:31 AM »
well the thing is that they can go to and from...thats what i do.. i chek out wats on the happen now and wen the original group i usualy dl from gets theres out i switch back...
you can say this is a bit shifty but wth... its just viewing pleasure....

i was at whm forum and had a lil discussion about thieving groups and whatnots... frankly i wouldnt say thieving... yanime akatsuki at (solaris)...
yaw were doin separately once then yaw teamed up so yaw cant be biased if another group starts scanning fast lq's... if they were to team up as well... then would it be ok for them to go on about thweir scans without being called thieves???   (no disrespect of any kind jus puitting my cents in this matter)

Offline WillTRiker

• Clean
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 02:32:20 AM »
Seems that the HQ vote has risen since I checked last time as the lead the week vote had has become smaller.

Just another 2cts.

Yanime shouldn't give a single thought to the leechers out there that are only interested in getting things as fast as possible without having regards to quality. I'm pretty obsessed, but I'm hardly alone in the fact that I can deal with a longer waiting period if that means the quality is good ... probably a carry over from my anime experience.

Seems that there are enough editors already so we might get the best of both worlds after all.

/keeps fingers crossed

Offline Dee Dark

• Clean
  • Emu mania, Manga addict
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 01:31:03 PM »
Sincerely, I can't tell which one is the best...

In my comp, I usually arrange the images so I can put them in a single directory per volume, so it'll be easier to read a bunch each time... [and the omakes will have a place to lie, too ;)]

...but I am too a little eager to get newer chapters, so I voted to the weekly release...

...about the tradeoff speed/quality, I'd say that you guys are just generous to let people d/l your work, as, I'm pretty sure, you're only doing this scanlation so more people can appreciate this masterpiece... So, basically, you're sharing your passion over an artwork (to say so), and that's why crappy scanlation pisses you off...

So, I totally agree with your point of view (although that surprise release of the entire vol 8 really turned the leecher inside me happy  :P )... Of course, having the best of both is ideal, but I wouldn't die if were to wait a little longer to get a superior translation...

*bow to Yanime Staff*

Offline Motoko-chan

• Anime ni Yamitsuki Staff
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 03:39:01 PM »
Of course, my reader handles multiple chapter zips (and rars) just fine. A simple Ctrl+L at the end of one chapter loads the next file.

That and the wonderful manga-mode which reverses page order (lower page on the right) and displays two pages, combined with a true fullscreen (no-ui elements) mode makes my manga reading very enjoyable.

And just what is this awesome viewer? CDisplay of  course.

http://www.geocities.com/davidayton/CDisplay

If anyone has questions about how to use this program, I will be happy to answer them. (on a seperate thread).
Motoko-chan
Anime ni Yamitsuki Leader

"Time is irrelevant to memory. How important that moment was to a person... I think that's all that matters." - Shiori (Kanon)

Personal Links:
AnimeNeko Network | Static-Subs | Otenba | Lililicious

Offline WillTRiker

• Clean
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 01:38:57 AM »
Hmm ... I think I might give this program a testdrive.

I've allways used Irfanview for viewing pictures (that one also is capable by just pushing the spacebar to load up the next picture and has a ton of other features for editing purposes ... not that I use that, but still).

What perked my interest is that can view picture in zipped/rar archives .... something Irfanview can do to but only with one picture at a time while this one seems to be able to browse throught it. Would save me the trouble of having my seperate unzipped manga folder which has grown quite large.

Offline Dee Dark

• Clean
  • Emu mania, Manga addict
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 03:46:35 AM »
Interesting program...

Up to now I've been using that Thumbs Plus software (an old version, 3.30, that didn't stop to run after the trial period...), but it hgas the same limitations of Irfanview (which I have used for some time)...

I'll give it a shot.